e-check payment problems

mariners

We live in Canada and used "e-check" to make the final payment for this year's cruise in January.  We had no issue with the ACH  payment. 

We have attempted to make the ACH Payment for next year's Viking cruise, and received notification that the payment from my bank had been denied and to contact our bank.  (Our friends, from a different province, also did not have their payment processed.)  I contacted my bank, and, according to the individual with whom I spoke, the issue is not with my bank, and must be with Viking.  So, I went back on My Viking Journey and resubmitted information for the ACH payment.  I received another e-mail, just the same as the first time, that informs me that our cruise is paid in full.  However, after two days, the money owed still has not been removed from my bank account.  Has anyone else had this issue?  

It sometimes takes a few days to show the money removed. If the money is still not withdrawn after a week or two, maybe call your bank.

I have several financial institutions I use, and depending on my relationship with said institution, I can easily float money, but I'm responsible.

the only issue I have ever had , and this was not with a Viking related transaction, is that international exchange and rate determination is driven by the stock market.  as such the transaction has to be done while the market is open to secure the rate and to complete the transaction loop

1 hour ago, mariners said:

Has anyone else had this issue?  

We made an e-cheque final payment a few days ago and it went through right away.  

Yesterday we made an e-cheque deposit on another cruise, and that has not gone through.  Sometimes it does take 2 or 3 days.

Thank you to everyone who has responded.  Our cruise is billed in Canadian dollars; we transferred money into our chequing account so there is no issue with funds (sorry, not sure what float money means); and our bank is/was expecting the charge from Viking.  I know that we can always use a credit card so that this will not be an issue.  Thanks, millybess, as you stated, it could be that the charge will go through on our account within the next day or so.  We are new to Viking so this is something that we have not experienced on other cruise lines. 

Looking forward to our first Viking Ocean cruise, and the next one, too.

• Like 2

We have had problems with this in the past. Viking asked for an image of a void cheque for the account to be used for payment. It seems that US and Canadian cheques are not encoded in the same way, apparently they inverted the institution number and transit number and ACH rejected the transaction. We just made an echeck payment last week, and we made sure our TA explicitly listed the institution, transit, and account numbers to Viking when submitting the payment, it was processed without error, and showed up in our bank account a day later.

The last time I paid for our cruise, DH told me the money was in his account so I could pay it.  I did that day.  3 days later, the money was still in his account so I went online to see what was going on.  The cruise was marked paid in full and I had no balance due.  I still had a week left to make the final payment, so decided it give it a few days.  A day or so later, DH’s account was finally debited.  I got a float from Viking I wasn’t expecting.

26 minutes ago, CannyScotTor said:

We have had problems with this in the past. Viking asked for an image of a void cheque for the account to be used for payment. It seems that US and Canadian cheques are not encoded in the same way, apparently they inverted the institution number and transit number and ACH rejected the transaction. We just made an echeck payment last week, and we made sure our TA explicitly listed the institution, transit, and account numbers to Viking when submitting the payment, it was processed without error, and showed up in our bank account a day later.

Agreed.  One has to be very mindful of the differences.

Our last payment by this method took 6 business days to be taken from our account.  The invoice online showed fully paid, but then the money sat in our account for 6 business days plus the weekend.  I think we paid on Wednesday and the money did not come out until the following Thursday.

Thank you so much for the responses.  The Viking CC board is filled with past passengers who are generous about offering help, and are not critical of those of us who are learning the ropes.  It's wonderful to read such a positive board.

Our payment has now been processed.  Yahoo!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mariners said:

Thank you so much for the responses.  The Viking CC board is filled with past passengers who are generous about offering help, and are not critical of those of us who are learning the ropes.  It's wonderful to read such a positive board.

Our payment has now been processed.  Yahoo!

Quite refreshing to see someone on CC happy about being charged! 😁   🍺🥌

• Like 2

I'm thankful about the charge going through because we booked the cruise during a good sale, and didn't want to lose that booking.  😀  (I'm also thankful that I got to book it in CDN dollars instead of USD which is what we used to have to pay for many of our previous cruises.  I choose to look at the payment as making money while I watch our dollar drop. 🤣

• Like 3