A happy thread on smaller ships re bigger ships

We sailed on Britannia the first year she was in service,at the time these forums were full of people complaining about her size & how they wouldn't go on anything that big,here we are years on & Britannia seems to have many fans & when you see her next to Iona or Arvia she looks small.

For us we liked her eventually,found her a bit dark & gloomy inside with some questionable,IMO,artwork,not the easiest to navigate but the Crows Nest is wonderful & Brodies is a wonderful room spoilt by the fact that there nearly always seemed to be Bingo,Pub Quizzes or Kareoke going on,all of which we hate!

We had a 19 night cruise on Arcadia earlier this year & loved her,I had read so many bad reviews on here making reference to her age mostly & wondered what the hell we would find but we loved the ship,we have travelled on many ferries at least as old if not older & didn't really notice anything age related,loved our balcony cabin,thought the Pub was a wonderful place to be,something about the Crows Nest that really didn't hit the spot for some reason & yes there is a shortage of places to eat but it wasn't a problem for us,made more so maybe by the fact that the food & service we received in the Ocean Grill was so good,probably the best we have ever had at sea,Sindhu wasn't far behind,perhaps the biggest problem with a small ship is that it isn't that easy to get away from people wining about nothing apart from the fact that it seemed to keep them happy!

I have seen pictures of the Atrium area on Arvia & Iona & think it looks awful,a bit like an airport/shopping mall food court,not something that attracts me to either of them.

Just to show that I am not entirely against big ships IMO the best ship we have travelled on by some way was RCI's Quantum Of The Seas,a beautiful ship,quirky artwork,always seemed light & airy wherever you went & despite being full never seemed crowded. .

We are booked on her sister ship Anthem OTS in April next year & Arcadia the following April just to mix it up a bit!  

Edited by snaefell
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, snaefell said:

We sailed on Britannia the first year she was in service,at the time these forums were full of people complaining about her size & how they wouldn't go on anything that big,here we are years on & Britannia seems to have many fans & when you see her next to Iona or Arvia she looks small.

For us we liked her eventually,found her a bit dark & gloomy inside with some questionable,IMO,artwork,not the easiest to navigate but the Crows Nest is wonderful & Brodies is a wonderful room spoilt by the fact that there nearly always seemed to be Bingo,Pub Quizzes or Kareoke going on,all of which we hate!

We had a 19 night cruise on Arcadia earlier this year & loved her,I had read so many bad reviews on here making reference to her age mostly & wondered what the hell we would find but we loved the ship,we have travelled on many ferries at least as old if not older & didn't really notice anything age related,loved our balcony cabin,thought the Pub was a wonderful place to be,something about the Crows Nest that really didn't hit the spot for some reason & yes there is a shortage of places to eat but it wasn't a problem for us,made more so maybe by the fact that the food & service we received in the Ocean Grill was so good,probably the best we have ever had at sea,Sindhu wasn't far behind,perhaps the biggest problem with a small ship is that it isn't that easy to get away from people wining about nothing apart from the fact that it seemed to keep them happy!

I have seen pictures of the Atrium area on Arvia & Iona & think it looks awful,a bit like an airport/shopping mall food court,not something that attracts me to either of them.

Just to show that I am not entirely against big ships IMO the best ship we have travelled on by some way was RCI's Quantum Of The Seas,a beautiful ship,quirky artwork,always seemed light & airy wherever you went & despite being full never seemed crowded. .

We are booked on her sister ship Anthem OTS in April next year & Arcadia the following April just to mix it up a bit!  

I know what you mean about Arcadia's Crows Nest. Although it's a long time since I sailed on her, I had that feeling too. There are two possible reasons. I seem to recall that the ceiling is quite low for one thing and also the bar is an odd circular 'standalone' affair. I tend to use the Crows Nest late-night and unless it has changed, there was no way to secure the bar and it was emptied and bottles taken away on a trolley rattling across the bar area...

Just now, Britboys said:

I know what you mean about Arcadia's Crows Nest. Although it's a long time since I sailed on her, I had that feeling too. There are two possible reasons. I seem to recall that the ceiling is quite low for one thing and also the bar is an odd circular 'standalone' affair. I tend to use the Crows Nest late-night and unless it has changed, there was no way to secure the bar and it was emptied and bottles taken away on a trolley rattling across the bar area...

Strange, as I think Arcadia's Crows Nest is one of the nicest. Spent a lot of time in there to and fro from Canada last month. I dislike Metropolis on Ventura, cold and dark. 

26 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Strange, as I think Arcadia's Crows Nest is one of the nicest. Spent a lot of time in there to and fro from Canada last month. I dislike Metropolis on Ventura, cold and dark. 

I haven't been on Arcadia since they refitted her so it might feel a bit different now but I love Aurora's and loved Oriana's. I haven't been on Ventura but wasn't keen the Planet Bar on her either.

It wasn't just the room itself which didn't feel right for us,we had been used to the guy on the piano on Britannia which for us gave a nice relaxed ambiance,on Arcadia it wasn't bad one night we were there & there was a busker on but other nights there was a band on who were quite loud & really changed the whole feel of the room.

• Thanks 1