Anchorage --> Whittier: Car Rental?

Mr. Baloo

Thought I would put this in a separate message, but overall, part of my DIY planning of a pre land portion of a 7 night Princess cruise out of Whittier.

We are bouncing around the ideas of how to get to the port.  We know Princess has a shuttle bus from the airport, and our Anchorage Hotel, has airport transfers, so we could easily navigate that.  But... thinking of changing up our hotel reservations to include more "out of Anchorage" nights. (Saw some videos about how Anchorage may not be the safest place on earth).  Maybe rent a VRBO in Girdwood or out by Kenai Fiords.  That brings us to car rental return.

What car companies have a car return in Whittier?  If we do this, driving back to Anchorage to return car on departure day isn't favored.  AVIS shows up on Google maps, however when I call them, no one knows anything?

Thanks

Baloo

We are also doing a few days prior to a Whittier departure in July.  My plan is to do the train from Anchorage to Whittier the morning of our cruise departure. It's more $ than the bus, but looks really scenic and more fun. We plan to do 1 day of car rental in Anchorage (haven't booked anything yet) to explore outside of the city and we'd drop the car the night before we take the train to the ship. 

Our hotel is located in Midtown Anchorage and looks like we can easily uber (and shuttle from airport) for the other day well be spending in Anchorage proper.

6 hours ago, DrMomof2 said:

My plan is to do the train from Anchorage to Whittier the morning of our cruise departure. It's more $ than the bus, but looks really scenic and more fun.

It is the same scenery as the bus because the railroad and highway parallel each other. Whether the train is more "fun" is a bit subjective. But how the train can be distinctive from the bus is by taking a railroad excursion in addition to simple transportation from Anchorage to Whittier. After the train travels from Anchorage to Whittier, it then continues on a scenic journey further south, to an area remote from the highway. The train makes a stop at Spencer (for hiking and river travelers), and then continues onward to Grandview. The train reverses course at Grandview, again stops at Spencer, and then returns to Whittier. Passengers taking this scenic extended journey can then alight from the train at Whittier, walk across the street to the cruise terminal, in time for the vessel's departure that evening. Note that the train's consist is fairly simple, with a coach or two, a snack bar, and a distinctive bi-level self-propelled railcar (no first class "GoldStar" service).

• Like 1

After  much frustration with the corporate numbers, I called Avis in Whittier and got the number for the Avis ticket counter at Anchorage airport.  Finally spoke to someone on site and they were able to book for me.  Huge add ons for Anchorage, tourism & airport tax, plus drop off in Whittier fee ($150).  I also discovered Midnight Sun rentals in Anchorage with lower rental prices but a higher drop off fee ($250). Since we are a group of 7 renting a van for 4 days and exploring the Kenai Peninsula, we went with Midnight Sun.  If I were only concerned about getting to Whittier o the day of the cruise, I would probably do A.C.T. (Anchorage Cruise Transfer) which has a bus for $70 that does photo stops along the Turnagain Arm, and includes an excursion at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center before getting you to the ship in Whittier.