Getting into Long Beach, CA. a day before the

Hi-

I see you're from Portland...I used to live in Wilsonville! We have since moved to So. Ore....drier & warmer.

As to your question...we're staying at the Coast pre-cruise and going over to Catalina Island on the ferry for the day. You would probably have to take a taxi to the pier. Check out www.catalinaexplorerco.com . I'm not sure how far it is, but maybe another poster will know, or you could ask the hotel.

When are you going on your cruise? We're going on the Pride May 7th.

Cyndi

Grew up in L.A. so I've been to Catalina Island a million times. My dh proposed to me on Catalina. So that's out but it's a very cute island to visit during the summer. The spring tends to be empty and not hopping.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi-

I see you're from Portland...I used to live in Wilsonville! We have since moved to So. Ore....drier & warmer.

As to your question...we're staying at the Coast pre-cruise and going over to Catalina Island on the ferry for the day. You would probably have to take a taxi to the pier. Check out www.catalinaexplorerco.com . I'm not sure how far it is, but maybe another poster will know, or you could ask the hotel.

When are you going on your cruise? We're going on the Pride May 7th.

Cyndi

;)

cruise. Staying at the Coast Hotel. What can we do for the day with 2 young kids and one dh? No car so it needs to be near the hotel. TIA:confused:

From the Coast, you can take the free Passport "C" shuttle ( http://www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=34 ) into downtown Long Beach. From there you can take the Metro Blue Line to downtown LA. At that end of the Blue Line, you can get on the Metro Red Line. ( http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/riders_guide/rail_info.htm) That will take you to "Hollyweird." You can get off at Highland, see Grumann's Chinese Theater (and the Kodak) and walk East along the "Walk of Fame." and get back on the Red Line at Hollywood and Vine. You can continue on the Red Line to Universal City. (From the station, cross Lankershim Blvd and there's a free shuttle to the top of the hill where the theme park/studio tour is (if you have the time for it) or to visit City Walk (no admission).

Contrary to popular belief LA does have public transit, some of it very good. (We took this route to get to our cruise.)

How's that for a start?

Just wondering about how long it takes to get from LB to LA on these shuttles and metro lines. Trying to figure if we would have more time on Sat pre cruise or Sunday post cruise. Not flying out until Monday.

Thanks

55 minutes LB to downtown LA, 29 minutes downtown to the Valley. See http://www.metro.net and http://www.lbtransit.com for complete details and schedules.

The area around the Coast Hotel has really built up since they did the downtown Long Beach revival. Near the Aquarium area is an area with shops and many places to eat. Also the Long Beach Grand Prix will be in town the first week in April so you can see them setting up the road course. Shoreline Village is a neat little diversion as well as the Aquarium itself!

We too will be at the Coast prior to our 3/26 Pride Cruise.

Suburban.. hope you love the cruise! I'm following this thread, because I'm doing the same cruise in October. I'm curious about where you're staying. Is it close to the port? Do they have transportation/transfers to the port? Are you going to preboard on the QM.

I'm from the east coast, so know very little about the port. I'll keep following the thread.. and again, have a wonderful time!

Karen

Not sure where the Coast Hotel is, but you could probably catch a taxi or bus to the Aquarium. (My mom works as a volunteer there, so we go all the time!) Lots of interactive displays where you can touch sealife-it's pretty cool. After that, you can walk over to shoreline village and look around and eat if you like. Nice way to spend the day! And if you look across the harbor you can see the Queen Mary and where the Pride will be in port. :D

Archived