Alaska cruise vs Trans AT from New York , Greenland and Iceland

Cruiseguy14

Trying to decide between these two options.

transatlantic from New York to Greenland and then Alaska. Take the fact of going from New York out of the equation because I am from here and experience it everyday.

second choice is a Alaskan cruise. 

what do you guys think ? Curious to hear the expert opinions :)

14 days from New York through the Canadian Maritimes and St Pierre to Greenland and Iceland on the Star vs 7 days round trip Seattle?  Very, very different cruises in terms of length, ship, shore excursions, cost etc.  Both nice but can’t really compare.  Depends what you’re looking for.

Just did an Iceland Greenland cruise earlier in the year. If you are able to do and or tender in the ports of call it should be amazing. There were a lot of missed stops this past year particularly around Greenland. For the most part the excursions are as much if not more than an Alaskan cruise and there are fewer to choose from as well. Iceland is amazing, glad Iwe were able to go there three days early and explore on our own before getting on ship. Iceland has SO much to see.

The weather up around Iceland Greenland while at sea is pretty cold and at least from my experience there wasn't much time hanging around outside as it was cold,windy, rainy foggy all at once or a combination. So you may be inside the ship a lot more  than you are used to and from my experience on the star, its just not made for all the passengers to be inside all the time.

We are doing Alaska next year and really looking forward to it. Doing a one way from Alaska to vancouver and flying into Alaska four days early to see glaciers and explore. 

Both itineraries are a must see with expenses being about the same including car rentals, airfare costs, just  more risk of canceled ports and colder weather with Greenland/Iceland cruise. I'm thinking the Alaska weather will be a bit more tame.

• Like 1

We just got off the Seward to Vancouver cruise, and while on that one booked the Canada, Greenland, Iceland cruise.  This was our third time to Alaska, and we really enjoy those cruises.  Really looking forward to the Greenland/Iceland cruise.  If you have the time, I would think the Greenland/Iceland cruise would be preferable.  But if you've only got a week of vacay, then you'd be better off with Alaska.