Getaway waits for 200 stuck in Paris but leaves others on the pier!

DrUrsula

55 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

I lived in Brussels for 4 years.  On multiple occasions, co-workers from down near Mons did not make it to work due to rail strikes. 

I had to fly in a day early last year because of a strike. Thankfully the airline was able to get me on an earlier flight otherwise it would have been a 3 day delay. The strike affected the airport and the rail line. It was beautiful seeing the train station completely empty though during the strike.

Earlier this year the strikes in France included ports. 

This disrupted a number of winter cruises on MSC Virtuosa that use Le Havre  as a Embark.

One week they diverted to Amsterdam which resulted in a significant delay back to Southampton.

Le Harve is a sucker port on many itinerary particularly the UK cruises as it adds "Paris" to the itinerary.

Similar issues in the UK with train strikes and travel to Southampton.

I’ve never experienced an issue with French rail system but am all-too familiar with the Italian strikes that occurred when I was a college student studying abroad in the late 90’s. 

Between that and being a pier-runner for the Song of Norway back in 1990 with my parents when our cab driver in Barbados got multiple flats, I will never book at non-cruise excursion. Especially in Europe. It may be a higher price tag but is my insurance that we won’t get left behind. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ernstmfg said:

We heard 6 people were confused and missed the train in Mantes-la-jolie so did not make it in time.

If I understand correctly, the people who missed the ship actually missed the train to get to the ship.  So, it's not like @DrUrsula implied in that some on the train made it while others didn't, the folks who didn't make it weren't even on the train.

Not surprised.  As they say, there usually is more to the story.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PATRLR said:

If I understand correctly, the people who missed the ship actually missed the train to get to the ship.  So, it's not like @DrUrsula implied in that some on the train made it while others didn't, the folks who didn't make it weren't even on the train.

Not surprised.  As they say, there usually is more to the story.

My parents always said that there are three sides to a story: yours, mine and somewhere in between them, lies the truth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We also were on the ship and watched things as they unfoldied.  I personally spoke with several groups who made it back in time by taking taxis and Uber when they realized the train was delayed.  You were fortunate to have only paid 200 euros to get back. Some paid up to 400 euros. 

I also spoke with an employee I knew on the ship. He said when NCL was made aware of the train delay for 200 people,  they sent shuttle busses to the train station to help get them back to the ship. 

Once all but 6 passengers were back, they called the missing passengers.  They said they were on the train behind the broken down train yet. After holding the ship for 1 and 1/2 hours already,  the decision was made that they needed to get underway.  The crane had already removed the gangway when the 6 passengers showed up. It was sad watching them standing on the port yet you are taking a huge  chance by taking the last train to make it back on time.  Any glitch at all and you are in trouble. The port authorities were assisting them as we sailed off.

• Thanks 8

3 hours ago, Living free said:

The crane had already removed the gangway when the 6 passengers showed up.

If I were one of the six, I would have much preferred to come back to an empty dock. Watching as the ship slowly pulled away had to be excruciating.

• Like 2