Final Thoughts for Cruise Critic Board

BrakeawayTakeaway

Recently completed my first cruise ever, Marina 12 days Tarragona to Trieste.  Wanted to thank the Cruise Critic community for helping me prepare for what to expect from a cruise vacation.   My expectations were adjusted due to many threads I read, Main Dining room was hit and miss and service was slow there and at bars. But specialty restaurants stood out and provided the best food.  I learned about how my food allergy would be handled and I am glad to report I was well taken care of.  The Main Dinning matire d learned me and my cabin number quickly and always had my special menu ready to be handed off.   

My own preconceived notion of a mostly older crowd whom I couldn’t relate to was dismissed. Picking the more adventurous excursions meant several familiar faces I would see over and over.  I was in the minority for sure but there is a niche for the younger crowd.  You just have to be prepared for a LAID BACK vacation.  The entertainment was pretty bad, even my mom said most of the references were older than her. 

Don’t use Oceania Air. You guys told me hundreds of times and I wished I had listened.  It was a mess and WAY more stressful than a vacation should be.  

Wifi is not suitable for work, or much.  But I was able to WiFi call my family which was all I needed.  So I was pleasantly surprised I could do that since I figured it would be like dial up reading on here.  

I will never be a die hard cruiser, but I may go again to sample a slice of the world. And I would probably choose Oceania if it were an adult trip.  If my husband and kids went we would choose a different line.  I saw kids on board and the one 7 year old I talked to at the pool told me she was SOOO bored, and I get it.  

But thank you all for all the information, it was very valuable and I felt more informed than my mom who has cruised Oceania several times before.  Happy Cruising to you all! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

20 hours ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

Recently completed my first cruise ever, Marina 12 days Tarragona to Trieste.  Wanted to thank the Cruise Critic community for helping me prepare for what to expect from a cruise vacation.   My expectations were adjusted due to many threads I read, Main Dining room was hit and miss and service was slow there and at bars. But specialty restaurants stood out and provided the best food.  I learned about how my food allergy would be handled and I am glad to report I was well taken care of.  The Main Dinning matire d learned me and my cabin number quickly and always had my special menu ready to be handed off.   

My own preconceived notion of a mostly older crowd whom I couldn’t relate to was dismissed. Picking the more adventurous excursions meant several familiar faces I would see over and over.  I was in the minority for sure but there is a niche for the younger crowd.  You just have to be prepared for a LAID BACK vacation.  The entertainment was pretty bad, even my mom said most of the references were older than her. 

Don’t use Oceania Air. You guys told me hundreds of times and I wished I had listened.  It was a mess and WAY more stressful than a vacation should be.  

Wifi is not suitable for work, or much.  But I was able to WiFi call my family which was all I needed.  So I was pleasantly surprised I could do that since I figured it would be like dial up reading on here.  

I will never be a die hard cruiser, but I may go again to sample a slice of the world. And I would probably choose Oceania if it were an adult trip.  If my husband and kids went we would choose a different line.  I saw kids on board and the one 7 year old I talked to at the pool told me she was SOOO bored, and I get it.  

But thank you all for all the information, it was very valuable and I felt more informed than my mom who has cruised Oceania several times before.  Happy Cruising to you all! 

Well, we try to help....but like your navigation device, don't depend on it too much. Your own common sense is very useful. A lot of pax tend to be too loyal to their respective lines. This can raise your expectations too high.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1