Dress on QM2

belldebb

Okay folks....HELP me!

I have read many of these threads and replies and keep hearing folks talk about the "dress code

Tell me if Jeans are allowed while just walking and relaxing on deck???

How casual is "casual" on QM2??

thanks, cruiser from NC

Okay folks....HELP me!

I have read many of these threads and replies and keep hearing folks talk about the "dress code

Tell me if Jeans are allowed while just walking and relaxing on deck???

How casual is "casual" on QM2??

thanks, cruiser from NC

I dont think jeans are appropriate on thje QM2 or the QE2!!Just one persons opinion<

A Crossing on the QM2 (and QE2 for that matter) is much more formal at all times than a Caribbean Cruise on either ship. The 'rules' of dress code are relaxed a bit (perhaps because people do not follow them on warmer mass-market type trips) but evening meals in all dining rooms are more dressy than other ships.

While on the Caribbean you will 'get away' with a polo shirt and sport coat at dinner time in the main dining room, you should NOT expect the same casual approach in Princess or Queens Grill.

Jeans while appropriate on deck are frowned upon by most non-American travelers on Crossings. In the PG/QG on a formal night a tie (let alone a Tux) is really a requirement.

And PLEASE do not try and avoid the 'jeans' issue by getting dressy denim outfits of pants or skirts with matching jackets .... even adding rhinestones or embroidery .. this level of casual is not appropriate on Crossings and probably to hot on Caribbean.

While QM2 does other ports (Hawaii for example) she is a bit more dressy of a ship and passengers feel more comfortable dressing 'to the nines' or 'over the top'.

You can get away with MOST anything ... but others will look at you with a bit of 'contempt' if you really push the jeans/casual envelope too far!

A Crossing is an elegant and fun event. Take appropriate day-time deck and night-time party clothes along. As a male I wore plenty of 'Docker' shorts in light and dark colors .. they were not 'jeans' but far below silk cream pants that I wore for tea .. or the tuxes I wore for dinner.

Hi Deb, Why don't you ask Beth this question on our roll call for this trip. She has done the same cruise there before and can probably be a wealth of info on the topic. I plan to pick her brains a lot as we get closer. She should be returning from the cruise she's on right now in a couple of days I think and I know she'll be happy to tell you what she saw people wearing.

I can honestly say I hope NOT to see jeans on the QM2...she just seems too special for something so ordinary as jeans. I honestly don't know why this is always such a hot button topic but I guess a lot of people consider jeans a fashion statement of some sort. Personally I don't...they have thier place for sure but I don't consider them appropriate for QM2. But since everyone wears them for every conceivable occasion I'd think they'd love the chance to have a reason to dress nicer. And having lived in the deep south I can tell you that I don't think there is any more uncomfortable fabric in the heat than denim. At 80 degrees or more you positively swelter in them.

Have you stopped by the roll call lately? We've had more new Dec 2nd cruisers join us. Cheers, Penny

My wife and I are young. We are products private schools and country clubs that have no-denim rules. We are ok with that. In the evening we will be formally attired. But, if my wife chooses to wear her $200 designer jeans during the day, it really is her business. I am truly sorry that some of you hope to not see denim onboard the QM2 by day. While I hope to not see Dockers, Tommy Bahama and the atrocious silk combos so preferred by women at our current club.......it is inevitable that I will. I'll avert my eyes, and you can do the same if you find my attire offensive.

Cheers

Robbie:)

It is not an age issue. It is a question of knowing how to behave.

Jeans are jeans - irrespective of whether they are overpriced by virtue of having a "designer" label sewn on them.

They are certainly not seen or appropriate for Queen Elizabeth 2 - QM2 should operate the same way.

these response are too funny.

I guess the bottome line is, you paid and you wear what you like.

TO be quiet honest, at my age...I could care less the looks I get or what people think. Don't have to play that game anymore.

Bottom line, have fun! and remember, that this is YOUR vacation!

Thanks DrRobbie!

My husband is a surgeon and I'm an OBGYN...we see more Tommy Bahamma looks in our club than I care to acknowledge.

You are completely correct on this one!

HAHAHA ....

THANKS, great response!!!

Debbie and Bob : We left the Mariner of the Seas the day you boarded, last Dec. It was our 5th on the Mariner, our 19th cruise overall.

We are currently booked on the QM2 for the complete World Cruise, 1/10/07.

However, if my fellow passengers are so concerned about my husband's Tommy Bahama shirts and can spend half a day debating the merits of a pink cummerbund vs a red cummerbund, and can spend an hour describing the divine, energetic harpist that was the evening's MAIN entertainment, I think we shall be switching over to HAL for the World Cruise.

The QM2 is a ship, no better, no worse than many others. In fact, the reviews have been pretty awful for the most part. It is a floating hotel, PAID for by guests. I do not revere a ship, any ship.

I was planning on a relaxing cruise, NOT planning the Easter Parade.

I suppose everyone has their own idea of what is acceptable dress, but I KNOW my husband doesn't own cream silk pants, but i wouldn't care if someone else wore them.

When we cruised on the QM2 in February, I called Cunard and asked about jeans. I was told NO Jeans and NO tennis shoes...Even though it wasnt printed anywhere on any document...With that said only 1/2 of the passengers knew the dress code because the other 1/2 were in jeans and tennis shoes during the day...but NONE at night...

It could have been the "West Coast" style that prevailed...who knows..

Thanks DrRobbie!

My husband is a surgeon and I'm an OBGYN...we see more Tommy Bahamma looks in our club than I care to acknowledge.

You are completely correct on this one!

HAHAHA ....

THANKS, great response!!!

Just calling it as I see it. I wish you were on our cruise. I'm sure we would hit it off.

Cheers

Robbie:)

I have seen jeans on QM2 and the much beloved QE2, But of coarse only during the day...

I have worn jeans on QM2 and QE2, :) but only during the day. ON my first QM2 cruise I did not even dare to bring any ( 8 day carib.) But saw lots of classy repeat Cunard cruisers being comfortable during the day.

I like to dress up at night but during the day I think there is alot to the idea that Hey this is my vacation and I want to relax....

Hello every body,

Jeans and casual wear are fine during the day on both the QE2 and the QM2 as is other casual wear.:)

They are not to be worn after 530pm and are never seen, perhaps other than on teenagers who have changed back after dinner. :eek:

The other thing to mention is that swim wear and inappropriate short shorts are not worn during the day inside the ships!:(

It will be intresting to see what is worn on the route from Rio to NY .

all the best to you all

Rob

Unfortunately that is the attitude that has basically ruined American society. Is it any wonder that the rest of the world considers us tourist trash.
My wife and I recently took the bus in Bermuda in lieu of the water taxi and I can tell you the worst dressed people on the bus were the american tourists even the local children and the local laborers were dressed better> Rumor had it that the american tourists were mostly doctors and country club members but i could not verify that!!!! bon voyage jim

Dr Robbie: My husband and I are on your crossing. We also will be wearing jeans in the day. We will dress for the evening, but I am not going to bring that many clothes! We are doing two weeks in the UK before boarding and I have to cut down on the luggage. You guys won't be alone! :D

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the responses!

I think the mutual feeling is that after 5:00 is the "dress" time of day.

Which Is normal as that time of the day is dress time for most dinner parties,etc.

As far as Americans vs Internationals and who thinks what....that is not a topic to even go into as that is strictly a matter of opinion. And we all have opinions as seen here.

As a friend of mine from England wrote me just today on this supject: " when someone else pays your way you will dress they way they ask but as long as you are paying your way...I guess it is strictly your call" And that came from the mouth of a born, bred and current resident of London,England! And I would say that was well stated!!!

Happy Cruising and thanks everyone! Enjoy YOUR vacation and if you see me and don't like what I'm wearing.....turn your head!

I can honestly say I hope NOT to see jeans on the QM2...

Not only are jeans frequentely worn on Carribean Cruises, when invited by the Captain for a personal tour of the bridge one Sunday afternoon after his Sunday Service, there were also six others invited, all of whom wore jeans - these were passengers who had been guests at the Captain's table earlier in the sailing, one of whom wore a rhinestone studded long demin skirt to that event. It is a totally different passenger mix on a Carribean Cruise on QM2 and nothing like our previous QE2 Bermuda cruises or Altantic Crossing. Be prepared for lots of flowing caftan's, mumu's, polyester pants suit, low cut, tight fashions - In a nut shell, Anything Goes. The phrase: "Attention K Mart Shoppers", also comes to mind when viewing the various caftans/pantsuits.

Thanks!

Your response is GREAT and I think that is the case now on just about any cruise!

And I can promise you that when she showed up with a denim skirt the captain didn't blink an eye or refuse her anything!!!

THANKS so much!

Your response is GREAT and I think that is the case now on just about any cruise! And I can promise you that when she showed up with a denim skirt the captain didn't blink an eye or refuse her anything!!!

THANKS so much!

I believe a large number of people do not want Cunard to be just like any cruise. That seems to be the core of this discussion.

If Cunard *aims* to offer an upscale experience, I am puzzled by the mentality of "Oh yeah? Well I am coming on board in my jeans and just try and stop me!"

... just like every other cruise. Great.

Paul

Now, the word from the company....

jeans and casual wear are perfectly acceptable on QM2 during the day on the Caribbean cruises.

Dinner and Tea Time; proper dress is expected.

The words out of their mouths!

Thank you for calling Princess Lines in California and clarifying this Cunard tradition. Well then, it is all settled. Now that a phone representative says so, we all can now wear jeans and turn the QE2 and QM2 into an experience just like all the other cruise ships.

Paul

Archived