Dress on QM2

belldebb

Thank you for calling Princess Lines in California and clarifying this Cunard tradition. Well then, it is all settled. Now that a phone representative says so, we all can now wear jeans and turn the QE2 and QM2 into an experience just like all the other cruise ships.

Paul

You are most welcome!

I'm not sure if I called CA or New Mexico; I called a 800 number and they transfered the call to someone that could assist. They were most helpful as I had several different questions.

db

Not only are jeans frequentely worn on Carribean Cruises, when invited by the Captain for a personal tour of the bridge one Sunday afternoon after his Sunday Service, there were also six others invited, all of whom wore jeans - these were passengers who had been guests at the Captain's table earlier in the sailing, one of whom wore a rhinestone studded long demin skirt to that event. It is a totally different passenger mix on a Carribean Cruise on QM2 and nothing like our previous QE2 Bermuda cruises or Altantic Crossing. Be prepared for lots of flowing caftan's, mumu's, polyester pants suit, low cut, tight fashions - In a nut shell, Anything Goes. The phrase: "Attention K Mart Shoppers", also comes to mind when viewing the various caftans/pantsuits.

I personally do not think mumus have a place outside of home. I am not snobbish by any means, however, one's appearance in public is rather important. Let's take a little more pride in our appearance. Culturally, being of hispanic descent, we tend to "dress up" more anyway; When in doubt, dress up, not down, I say.

I've been on many transatlantic crossings on QE2 and QM2 and have seen all types of dress. Whatever one's "status" doesn't matter. I have seen jeans, spandex, evening gowns that would make most blush......"oh guess she forgot her underpants"...........yeah, there are all types that travel on QE2 and QM2 and for the most part people dress very nicely and respectfully, but there are always those few. As far as one finding "dress" appropriate or not is one's own opinion. Cunard does not say no to jeans overall. There is a dress code and you just have to call Cunard or read your documents to find out what is "usually" worn by day, and what is required by night. Once dinner is over.........some change back into the grunge look, but that is a small percentage. It's not like you can't get into the G32 if not in an evening gown or tux on formal nights. As far as Tea......I have never heard one has to "dress" for it. It is not required. In fact have seen people in jeans at tea. At dinner, there is a certain dress code every night. But one doesn 't have to stay in that dress/gown or suit/tux, and if you don't go into the assigned dining rooms, anything but shorts goes.

I personally do not think mumus have a place outside of home. I am not snobbish by any means, however, one's appearance in public is rather important. Let's take a little more pride in our appearance. Culturally, being of hispanic descent, we tend to "dress up" more anyway; When in doubt, dress up, not down, I say.

Tell that to a Hawaiian or Tahitian lady!

And there are equally those who do not feel that Guayaberas are appropriate (I am not one of them) Each to his own, I say! Even though they are meant to be worn untucked.

Karie, who sometimes wears a DRESSY hawaiian dress that I actually made myself (because they don't come in my size, and that was the dress which was called for at my 30th High School Reunion) On me, I suppose ot probably looked more like a muumuu than those sleek chic floor length Hawaiian dresses in the catalog.

So, since I am BIG, would you prefer I hang my head in shame and hide in my room? I don't have a LOT of choices sometimes. I wear what FITS! God forbid they ever lose my luggage. they don't SELL clothes in my size in the Cunard gift stores!

I have worn smart jeans before on a transatlantic during the day and also in the Golden Lion Pub a couple of times in the evening.

I dont take any notice of what people think about it as i have paid good money to do these trips.

Many of the people on here still think that this ship has some kind of class structure,They probably think all black people should travel in the life boats.

Things have moved on since the 1890's and so should they.

Do what makes you feel happy and enjoy the trip.

(including wearing jeans as i will in July)

Thanks!

Your response is GREAT and I think that is the case now on just about any cruise!

And I can promise you that when she showed up with a denim skirt the captain didn't blink an eye or refuse her anything!!!

THANKS so much!

I think the Captain was captivated, he just loved them all, found them "fun loving and refreshing."

My Paternal Grandfather was born and raised in Costa Rica. His fashion role models were Fred Astaire, Cary Grant and the former Prince of Wales while his favorite composer was Cole Porter. I only wish I had a modicum of his sense of style.

Jeannie

Archived