Message in a bottle

cruisertobe032007

I was thinking as a cruise ritual it might be fun to write a small note in a bottle and throw it overboard during cruise. (1) will I get in trouble for doing this. (2) what kind of bottle would I want - glass or plastic? (3) has anyone ever done this or does this sound totally weird???

Sailing on March 25, 2006 on Fantasy!!!

A woman did this while on a cruise. I don't remember exactly when she did this. To answer your question, yes it is against the law to do this! So, I wouldn't take the chance of doing it and getting fined or thrown off the ship. A hurricane victim actually found this womans message in a bottle and wrote to her. She responded and is actually going to help him clean/rebuild his devastated home. A great story but, against the law nonetheless. So, I would say don't do it! Andros/Tony

Go for it, just not within site of an island so you know it'll be out there for a while. Use a wine bottle so you can put the cork in real tight. I want to "sword" a bottle of champagne off of the balcony but it'll have to be done at night, for you too. OK everyone else don't flame me.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't want to flame you, but just wanted to comment that it is irresponsible behavior and against the law. It is a nice idea, but is it worth the trouble if you get caught?

Maybe you could think of another ritual . . . like buying a Christmas ornament or magnet from each port?

• 2 months later...

We bought a 'Message in a Bottle' to mail home from one of the Islands.

As for the ones thrown into the sea, I did it years ago & didn't hear anything back. I used a plastic bottle with a cork. I'm sure it was discarded as trash, but I think it's a fun idea.

Try living on the edge. :) :) :)

it's a romantic idea but my concern is for the mammals etc in the sea...I would hate the thoughts of it getting logged in their throats and the suffering it might cause...not flamming you but there are issues that go with doing things that are against the law (guess for a reason) ;)

Besides the environmental issues, yes it is against the law. Just think, when you put your address on that little note for someone to contact you...you just make it easier for them to fine or prosecute you.

Yes, we have done it...we enclose a $1.00 and our e-mail and address.. We've used Snapple Bottles... I hadn't realized it was against the law... The last time we did it was on a trans-Atlantic.. Only heard back once... the bottle hadn't gotten very far.. we were on our way to or from Bermuda

Archived