Palma Sola Archeological Site Acapulco

Arisia

I was just wondering if anyone has taken this excursion offered by Celebrity in Acapulco. I'm not sure if other cruise lines offer this excursion. Any comments?? How difficult is the climb to the petroglyphs? I would welcome any information! Thanks!

Kathy

our nephew was in acapulco about 3 weeks ago on a cruise and did this excursion. he spoke highly of it. but it is quite a hike to the viewing spot. they were provided with walking sticks and drinking water from the tour company. they were driven there in an ac van with an english speaking guide and he felt his money was well spent. but does not recommend this tour for anyone who has a problem with walking and being out in the sun. hope this has been of some help.

lovemexico,

Thanks for the information. This excursion sounds like a great experience and well worth the effort. In the description many stone steps are mentioned but the length of the hike is not. We would be in Acapulco in May, so it could be on the hot side, I suppose. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your information!

Kathy

This is what I was able to find on RCI's website; as you can see, there really isn't a lot of info here.

Palma Sola Archeological Site

Approximate Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes

Adult: 56.00 (USD) | Child: 46.00 (USD)

Visit the ancient stone carvings and see a spectacular view of Acapulco Bay!

Your bi-lingual guide will greet you on the pier and take you to awaiting air-conditioned transportation for an informational drive to your destination, Palma Sola, known as “Where the Rock Speaks”. This archeological site is located within the Veladero National Park more than 1,000 feet above sea level and overlooks Acapulco Bay. Stone steps lead you up the mountainside through lush vegetation to view the 2,000-year-old petroglyphs or stone carvings left by the Yope Indians, the area’s first inhabitants. After the tour, enjoy a cold beverage and snack at a local restaurant.

Included in your tour is a snack plate (nachos, chicken tacos, quesadillas, guacamole) and 1 beverage (margarita, piña colada, daiquiri, beer, etc, soft drink or water), 1 bottled water for the tour and park entrance fees.

It is suggested that participants wear comfortable walking shoes, no heels or sandals permitted. Sun protection and bug spray are also suggested.

Note: There are numerous, steep steps. This tour is not for those with knee problems, breathing difficulties or those with walking limitations.

= If a light snack or refreshment is served on an excursion, it will be designated with this symbol.

= To fully participate may require extended periods of physical exertion, extensive walking, climbing, or biking. There may be numerous steps, inclines, cobblestones, and other rough terrain throughout the excursion. These excursions are the most active and have been designed for participants in excellent health and very good physical condition.

Terms and Conditions Copyrights

thanks for the tour description from the ship. but my nephew has given me a bit more info, this tour it was about a twenty minute enjoyable ride to the park and after that they got out of the van the info from the guide began. he was informed that yes the yope indians were in the state of guerrero but the rock carvings were done by the olmeca tribe and date back to over 2800 years ago. everything was very well explained by the guide and the steps they had to take to get there was done at a very nice pace over all they enjoyed the tour. and felt that their money was well spent. hope this has been of some help.

I've been to Palma Sola several times. It's not a trip for someone with physical disabilities or health problems that make walking steep inclines difficult. It's frequently hot/humid. Having said that, the archeological zone - one of the newest in Mexico - offers a glimpse of Acapulco's past few visitors understand/knew about and there are stunning views of the area from high above. I'm including below a link to an album of photos I took at Palma Sola several years ago:

http://community.webshots.com/album/100370918GormmW

gomexico,

Thank you for posting your photos---they're great! What a view of the Bay!! I really hope that we'll be able to participate in this excursion. We both enjoy the historical aspects of our visits and this excursion seems too good to pass up.

Treven and lovemexico,

Thanks for all of the information. Your nephew has been very helpful, too, lovemexico!

• 4 weeks later...

DH and I just back from Acapulco. Weren't on a cruise tour but took a taxi(Little VW type). We bartered for $25 for the driver to take us up and stay to drive us back. It's actually quite a ways up in the hills. The information station at the beginning of the trail is interesting and they do have you sign in and out when you head out onto the trail-I suppose they would look for you if you didn't come back? There is an additional building with information about the area to check out before you head out on the trail.

Allow at least 45 minutes- steep really does describe the steps up to the sites of the rocks! In addition you do a lot of up and down climbing to the different sites which branch off the trail to the right and left.

If you have the option you should try to go in the am, we went around 11AM and it was already hot and a bit humid. We wore hats and brought water which helped. There was a young man climbing up and down the trail with a cool sweet drink, but we didn't try it. We were just envious about how easy he made the trip look. We're in our late 50's and like to walk but as another posting stated it's tough on the knees.

The carvings were very interesting and all of them had English explanations as well as Spanish. A staff member where we were staying told us that we would see the original "Sponge Bob" and we really laughed when we found him!!

There was also a grounds keeper working around the sites who pointed out some of the more hidden carvings and interesting rock formations. He also directed us to the most beautiful lookout area to see all of ACA bay!

We were there on a Friday morning and as we were leaving a school field trip came marching up complete with a kid beating time on a drum!! Even though we couldn't understand most of what they were saying it was more interesting watching the kids reactions to the carvings than anything else!

All in all we were there about an hour altogether. At the end we gave the driver $35 instead of $25 just because it was so much further out than we thought and there really wasn't any place very cool for him to wait for us. We did notice that there were some taxis around the area so you probably would be ok to just get one up and back-but you never know how much the trip back might cost.:D

I, too, was at Palma Sola last week. Hot, humid and quite a hike - not a spot for people with health challenges in their lives. But an interesting place it continues to be.

I took a bus up to about 2 blocks away, then walked up-hill to the site . . . a steep walk for most people. I took a pick-up/taxi down. Taking the taxi up is the best idea for just about everyone, but people wanting strenuous physical exercise (I must have been crazy!).

I'm assuming the $25/$35 taxi fare you paid was in Mexican Pesos. If not, you were royally "had." The fare, in the peso equivalent of US$ should be about US$7, $8 at the most (each way) (the exchange rate now is about 11 pesos to 1 US$ - using 10-1 is a good basis of figuring).

The day I was up there 3 cruise ships were in-port - and I don't think one of the ships' passengers visited the archeological zone which, by the way, has free admission (maybe as compensation for being brave enough to attempt the climb!).

Thanks for the report on your visit.

Actually we probably did pay too much, but I should've of added that in addition he took us on a tour to see Las Brisas all the way on the other side of the bay and on the way back stopped and waited while we went into the Gigante and got groceries before heading back to the condo where we were staying.:o

Archived