Caribbean bound

Liberal_Baggie

Mrs Liberal baggie and I will be traveling to New York Westbound on 15th Dec for some Christmas present shopping. So we will be taking winter walking gear as I guess its pretty cold? but  looking forward to seeing New York at Christmas time which will be a first. Which is the best place to do ice skating? What's the best store to buy each other a modest present that we can take back on board are there any restrictions? 

On the way out from New york how long does it take to start warming up? i'm thinking Ski gear, shorts swimming trunks. dressing up stuff . Modest value suitcase, 64, balding, Thanks in advance...

Are you on the round trip - if so luggage will be no problem and you will have plenty of room for those Xmas gifts. Love pre Xmas in NYC - got to head to Rockerfeller Centre for the tree and the light show projected onto Saks fifth avenue.  Decorations/lights and shop window displays are amazing. So much to see and do so will depend how much time you have. Recommend ice skating in Central Park with that iconic sky line as a backdrop. Best to check weather before you go as have experienced mild and very cold in December.

There's a roll call for that crossing

but no answers to your specific questions. Do you have a long stay between the transatlantic and the cruise, or is it just an excursion day?

Weather's a big of a "who knows?", but to be safe you should anticipate freezing temperatures and possible snow or sleet. As for heading south afterwards, I haven't any idea :)

The traditional "best place for ice skating" would be the rink in front of Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets. Saks Fifth Avenue is directly across the street, for some pricey shopping, 

A walk down Fifth will also get you through some of the most over-the-top window displays in the city, and you'll probably pass multiple Salvation Army donation kettles. I think they hire out of work actors to fill the attendant roles (that's a joke, but who knows. There are some VERY talented Santas our there.) The sidewalks will likely be very crowded. Pretty much any store you can imagine along that strip, but the prices are high, given the real estate and the holiday.

@Pear Carr is right about the Central Park skating; not a skater so I forgot about that. Expect crowds at either location, though, on December 22. Where to shop is difficult without knowing what kind of thing you're looking for or how much time you have. I know some fun kitchy places on the Upper West Side, but you probably wouldn't have time to get there if you're starting on the east side or midtown and you're leaving that afternoon.

Cunard is offering some excursions that might help ...?

On our last voyage we found that the day after leaving NY was chilly, but still lots of people lounging on the deck chairs  well wrapped up. I was  wearing a coat and woolly hat.From the next day on it just kept on improving.Light trousers ,shorts ,tee shirts, blue skies , and blue sea. People in the pools and Jacuzzi .Absolutely fabulous! Counting the days !! Think it’s only 50 now 🌴🌞

@Liberal_Baggie

Is your plan to spend only one day in NYC? In terms of skating at Rock Center or Central Park, you need to make reservations online…like now. 
Try skating at Bryant Park as an alternative: https://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/iceskating/3

Bryant Park is basically the backyard of the NYC Public Library, the building with the lions. You can walk 15 minutes to the Macy’s flagship store afterwards. Just remember the travel time you’ll need to get to midtown and even further to the Central Park skating rink. 

I recommend staying closer to QM2 in lower Manhattan. You can get a quick and cheap ferry from Red Hook to lower Manhattan; you’ll even see QM2 from across the East River. Do the following:

Skating - check out skating at the South Street Seaport. It looks like they’re not open yet but do a search and get on their mailing list. Looks like the only fee is skate rentals.
Shopping - From personal experience, a great NYC/local shopping experience is going to Century 21 Department store, right across from the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan. Great bargains for major brand names. A local favorite. 
Sounds like you’re going to have a packed day!

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

Oh Wow thank you so much for the information all the above we are only in New York for the day so want to make the most of it. We will use the ferry as its very convenient and I will try booking the skiing thanks John for the advise.Millieloulou that sound fabulous and the Pools are going to be like brand new too after the refit. Flying home from New York on the 3rd Jan so can only take One suitcase its going to be squeeze to get everything in for this trip! 42 days and counting! Touchstone and Pear we will get the Cunard bus tour of New York on the 3rd Jan as will have another day so I believe you can book tour on board and that drops off late afternoon at JFK ?

Hi again Looks like we are going to be doing the same plans.We are flying out the day before she sails.We will not have time to see much, just thankful we have a hotel near to the terminal.We are going to book the Cunard tour of NY , believe you can only book on board.We fly back to the UK in the evening.See you soon !