Fair Wind or Captain Zodiac?

aiminoh

I am undecided as to which tour to take. Both seem fantastic! On the zodiac tour how do you get back into the boat from the water? There are 8 of us and 5 are seniors(but active). Would the zodiac tour be too wild for them? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry, don't know anything about the Zodiac trips, but we have been on Fairwind three/four different times over the years and always have a wonderful day on their cruise. Sometimes the waters can be rough, and I know Zodiacs are not advised for people with back problems. The Fairwind has wonderful WIDE steps down into the water, and inner tubes and other water equipment to use. The boat is very comfortable - lots of moving around room, morning snacks, and a nice barbeque lunch onboard, so I think it provides for a more relaxing day. If your group is adventurous - there IS a diving board AND a slide for fun!! Aloha!

We did the Captain Zodiak excursion and LOVED it. For seniors, it would depend on how active. You get back into the boat by a ladder hanging over the side and have to make a pretty big stride over the side of the raft to get back in. It is a rough ride to the bay. You sit on the sides of the zodiak and hold onto a rope. Not much of a problem but I was really sore the next day, Hubby said he wasn't sore. I was pretty tense though (just my nervousness). The Fairwind came in the bay also. It's a bigger craft and would be a much easier trip. Again it just depends on degree of active your seniors are.

We did the Fair Wind on our 2004 POAloha cruise and Captain Zodiak on our 2005 POAmerica cruise. Both were fantastic - but different. The only real similarity is that they both go to Kealakekua Bay, which is the best snorkeling I've ever experienced anywhere I've ever been.

The Fair Wind is a very stable well kept double deck catamaran that provides a smooth stable ride. There's a lot of seating top-side (in the sun) and on the first deck (covered). The crew was fantastic, and they provided a very nice contintal breakfast which they brought around to you, and a nice deli lunch buffet. Open bar after snorkeling was a great way to finish off the tour.Even though the ship was at thier stated capacity when we sailed, it did not seam crowded at all. This is not a 'thrill" ride, but a very relaxing motor to the Bay. Fantastic excursion, very relaxing. DW went on this with me, and she just enjoyed the ride (she doesn't snorkel) and the view.

Capatain Zodiak gave us an opportunity to see things up close, but be advised it can wear you out if you end up sitting at the front of the boat - it's VERY bumpy. You're also more likely to feel the ocean's motion on this one, so keep that in mind when selecting. At the back of the zodiac, is pretty calm. We had my 71 YO MIL on a zodiak on Oahu (different excursion - www.dolphinexcursions.com), and she was fine sitting on the back half of the Zodiak). This craft does go a lot faster, and if your're lucky, they will be more proactive in trying to locate more marine life on the way to/from Kealakekua Bay. We were fortunate enough to spend some time in the middle of a large pod of pilot whales, which added a lot to the experience. The snack and beverage service was nowhere what Fair Winds was - obviously because it's a much smaller vessel.

In short, IMHO it's largely a choice of thrill vs relaxation, and of seeing the coast up-close (Zodiac) or from about 1/4 mile off-shore (Fair Wind). At Kealakekua Bay, the zodiacs get there well before the Fair Wind, but that really doesn't matter much since the zodiacs are leaving about the time the FairWind passengers are getting into the water (so the area isn't so crowded with snorkelers either way). Which ever one you choose, have a great time! You can't lose!

Thanks for all the info. I think we are going to go with the zodiac tour as it will be our last day and would like to leave with some excitement on our last excursion. Everyone in our group says it sounds like fun and they don't seem to be worried about the fast/bumpy ride. I am glad to hear they have a ladder thrown over the edge to get back in the boat. I was concerned about that. How many people do they generally take on that tour? It seems like it should be a nice small group since the boats aren't that big.

The Fair Wind has Kona brews on tap, and also served up wine, juice and sodas. I guess I shouldn't use the term "open bar" to loosly, because I don't recall any mixed drinks (I'm not even sure if they offered up Mai Tais). I think they also charged extra for the alcohol.

Regarding the zodiac, they'll take up to 22 people.

I will be on the POAM in June and when I contacted Fair Wind they said they couldn't confirm my reservation because the ship may not not be able to get us tendered in by the time the tour leaves. I really wanted to take this tour. Does anyone have any experience with being on the POAM and taking this tour?

Where are both of these in relation to where the ship docks? Will we need to rent a car or can we get there from the pier on our own? Darthtater, we are considering Fairwinds too - according to our itinerary we will dock at 7:00, the tour leaves at 8:30. I'm interested in seeing if others have done this. Anyone?

We were on Carnival Spirit last fall and arrived in Kona at 8am. Left the ship and got a taxi and were at the Fairwind - about a 20 minute drive - just as they were boarding. If your ship gets in at 7 you should have more than enough time. I called Fairwind's 800# before leaving home to find out if they had space available for the day we wanted and asked them to put our names down, and they did that. When we were in the taxi we used our cell phone to call and let them know we were on the way. Didn't want to give a cc# just in case we couldn't make it. We decided that if the Fairwind turned out to be booked full that day there are plenty of other places to explore around Kona, shopping, etc., so we weren't concerned that we'd have nothing to do if the Fairwind didn't work out. Go for it! It was a very nice day.

Where are both of these in relation to where the ship docks? Will we need to rent a car or can we get there from the pier on our own? Darthtater, we are considering Fairwinds too - according to our itinerary we will dock at 7:00, the tour leaves at 8:30. I'm interested in seeing if others have done this. Anyone?

Captain Zodiak you have to book this excursion from the ship, Captain Zodiak only takes cruise passengers (booked through the ship) when there is a ship in port. They meet you at the pier where you tender from the ship and have the zodiaks there waiting for you.

Wow-that would be great if we could all be on that together. I may try to call them this week to see what they say about trying to get our names down without a credit card. This tour just sounded like so much fun, and the boys would love the slide!

• 5 weeks later...

Now have some pictures of the Zodiac tour and Kealalkekua bay on our photo site at http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/1400973

There is one picture with the Fair wind in the bay.

We too debated between these two excursions, and took the Zodiac as the Fair wind time was too tight for us. We loved the Zodiac and had about 1 1/2 hours to snorkel in the bay which was plenty of time for us. You snorkel in the same spot, and can easily swim through the whole snorkeling area here. In fact it was better for half hour or more before the Fair wind arrived as there were quite a few people on the Fair winds and it got a little crowded once they arrived - but still not bat at all.

Kealalkekua bay is by far the best snorkeling spot I've ever been to. We had fantastic visibility with lots of fish, despite being there on an overcast day. I'd highly recommend a trip here.

I agree with the plan of don't tell Fairwinds that you are on the Cruise. Call them the morning of arrival. They are there very early at 7:00am. You can leave the ship at 7:30 and still have plenty of time. Unless there is somekind of traffic problem, if so everyone will be late it is a 15 min ride. I found that the snorking on Maui was much better than Kona, but to each his own. Kona is a beautiful part of the island, If we did it again I would not take any snorkle tour, I would wing it myself.

... I found that the snorking on Maui was much better than Kona, but to each his own. ...

Now I'm doubly disappointed. While we had a beautiful day at Maui, the weather had been so rainy in recent weeks that most of the snorkeling spots were full of murky water from all the rain run off washing mud into the water. We ended up going to spot near a sunken pier where the snorkeling was poor - at least expectation wise. Our ship was in Maui for a short time which ruled out trips to Molokini too. Also didn't see much in the way of dolphins nor whales there - guides also blamed this on the murky waters which seemed logical (not knowing anything about such marine life). We're looking forward to another trip back in a few years.

My kona zodiac tour was one of the best shore excursions I've ever done.

I was on the same boat as bankofdad and saw all the pilot whales, can't believe our luck. The enjoyed the history discussion explaining the significance of several sites we passed.

Of course the snorkeling was great and the boat ride is a wind-in-the-hair rush.

I've heard that the zodiacs have no shade. True or myth? I think we'll do the Fair Wind because of the ride, but I've been mulling it over. If there's no shade on the zodiacs, then our decision is made because DH and I both need to be able to get out of the sun.

beachchick

As I recall, there is no shade on Captain Zodiac. I enjoyed the snorkeling and the crew immensely, but the ride was a little too bumpy for my liking. If I have the opportunity of being in Kona again, I would do the Fairwinds.

In fact - the Zodiac's have no shade. It is just relatively small open boat. (They break up the tour into small groups of about a dozen people and take multiple boats)

They clearly warn everyone as they board that it is an "adventure" ride and will be bumpy. At times thy go fast and turn fast. You'll spend a lot of the riding along time holding on tight. We did enjoy it a lot. I believe everyone in our group of 6 enjoyed it. I also think most of the other people on board were a family staying in Kona and this might have been a repeat trip for them. I was a little concerned with the bumpy ride & such, but now would repeat the trip if we went again.

Everyone sits on the rubber edge of the boat, and while it's traveling fast you'll want to be holding on tightly with one or both hands. They have a web site you con find with a search if you want to see a picture, read more, or contact them with questions. I also have a picture of the boat in my new picture gallery below.

Can you take movies with one hand?

You probably won't want to take them when going fast in any event as it would be very jiggly. On our trip there was one man standing in the back, next to the driver/guide holding onto some supports near the control area, who was taking movies most of the time. When you're going slow or stopped (like when viewing wildlife or near the cliffs and caves) it should not be an issue. But when the raft is traveling fast you'll want to hang on - especially sitting in front. I'm sure the tour guide/driver will help you out. Ours was very nice.

Archived