Arcadia Compulsory Disembarkation

Hampshire Steve

On 11/12/2023 at 9:09 AM, gsmt47471015 said:

I wonder if this why the ship often feels cold ( as in too often)

Having just come back from the previous Northern Light cruise, I am a generally cold person, but Arcadia is the warmest ship I have travelled on.  Never needed more than a T or polo shirt around the ship, and I wish I had taken along some shorts for day wear.

• Like 1

Just now, jaydee6969 said:

Having just come back from the previous Northern Light cruise, I am a generally cold person, but Arcadia is the warmest ship I have travelled on.  Never needed more than a T or polo shirt around the ship, and I wish I had taken along some shorts for day wear.

Is it possible that the temperature was reset to allow for the destination of your cruise?

Arcadia has always been the coldest of any ship (P and O or otherwise ) that we have sailed on

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

I have a hunch that P&O aren’t cooling their ships interiors to the same degree that they used to. In the past my wife would often comment that some areas of the ship were too cool for her. Also, in our cabins, she was rarely happy if the thermostats were much below the half way point. We have been on 3 different P&O ships over the past 4 months and there have been areas of the ships that even my wife has conceded need more cooling. Also, even with our cabin thermostat on the lowest (coolest) setting they have still felt too warm at times. When you think about all the relatively small cutbacks, that cumulatively have obviously saved P&O substantial sums of money, setting the thermostats so that the air con isn’t cooling the interiors as much as it was has the potential to save far more money than many of the other cost saving measures combined! Of course, if they are heating the ships too much in colder weather that contradicts this, but having done two Northern Lights cruises the crew (who are mostly from warm countries) really struggle in Norway in the winter and their comfort has to be taken into consideration as well. 

Edited by Selbourne

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I have a hunch that P&O aren’t cooling their ships interiors to the same degree that they used to. In the past my wife would often comment that some areas of the ship were too cool for her. Also, in our cabins, she was rarely happy if the thermostats were much below the half way point. We have been on 3 different P&O ships over the past 4 months and there have been areas of the ships that even my wife has conceded need more cooling. Also, even with our cabin thermostat on the lowest (coolest) setting they have still felt too warm at times. When you think about all the relatively small cutbacks, that cumulatively have obviously saved P&O substantial sums of money, setting the thermostats so that the air con isn’t cooling the interiors as much as it was has the potential to save far more money than many of the other cost saving measures combined! Of course, if they are heating the ships too much in colder weather that contradicts this, but having done two Northern Lights cruises the crew (who are mostly from warm countries) really struggle in Norway in the winter and their comfort has to be taken into consideration as well. 

TBH the last time we were on Arcadia and attempted to sit in the crows nest the staff looked absolutely frozen, we at least had the option to try another venue , they didn't,  and we both felt extremely sorry for them as virtually nobody was in there but they had to stand in shirts only ( with waistcoats of course,          and trousers/skirts before people get the wrong image!!!  ) 🥶

6 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

TBH the last time we were on Arcadia and attempted to sit in the crows nest the staff looked absolutely frozen, we at least had the option to try another venue , they didn't,  and we both felt extremely sorry for them as virtually nobody was in there but they had to stand in shirts only ( with waistcoats of course,          and trousers/skirts before people get the wrong image!!!  ) 🥶

TBH haven’t been on Arcadia for years. Cruises this year were on Britannia, Iona and Ventura. When we did our two Northern Lights cruises on Aurora the staff made no secret of the fact that they hated those cruises as they felt so cold. The ones that I felt most sorry for were the security staff and those that were dealing with embarkation and disembarkation in the ports. They looked like they were really suffering. They had multiple layers on but the embarkation points were like wind tunnels with -25 degrees winds. It was bad enough being in that area for minutes, let alone hours. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

TBH haven’t been on Arcadia for years. Cruises this year were on Britannia, Iona and Ventura. When we did our two Northern Lights cruises on Aurora the staff made no secret of the fact that they hated those cruises as they felt so cold. The ones that I felt most sorry for were the security staff and those that were dealing with embarkation and disembarkation in the ports. They looked like they were really suffering. They had multiple layers on but the embarkation points were like wind tunnels with -25 degrees winds. It was bad enough being in that area for minutes, let alone hours. 

Our first Christmas cruise was on Oceana and we went north.  Final port of call was Gothenburg.  While we wandering about saw a few crew having some time off ashore.  One poor chap though was wearing a tshirt and flip flops.  At least he had long jeans on and not shorts.  Poor bloke looked frozen.  Didn't get the memo about where the ship was going.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many years ago we were on a Thomson cruise , yes, that long ago . The ship had to undergo a balance test , which meant compulsory disembarkation of passengers and all crew apart from those needed for the tests . This was also 10 till 4.

Thomson, laid on free excursions, this was Barcelona, a lunch at a 5 star hotel . For those not wanting to do a trip , then a day pass at a hotel , pool etc.  Our waiters were full of it about their time off at the beach etc. 

We all had a great time . Appreciate, this was a much smaller passenger number, but P&O could have done something nicer for people surely. 

• Like 2

We were on Arcadia in May/June,two days into the cruise we were told of an outbreak of Gastric Enteritus(just know I have spelt that wrong!),for the rest of the cruise the crew served on the buffet(although some chose to help themselves & some chose to dodge the handwashing),we missed our Villefrance stop as a consequence,spending a night in Barcelona instead,no compulsory disambiguation but finding your way around the ship with many areas closed off for deep cleaning was a challenge!

Reports on the progress fighting the problem were confusing,but like Covid(!),our Intercruise coach left with reduced n numbers due to one passenger being one of 4 transferred to hospital that morning.

No complaints about Arcadia,loved the ship,we saw buckets twice for short periods during the 19 nights,no smells,no cold rooms,have booked her again for May 2025.