Yes, another tipping question!

When in the dining room, for example, do you or can you still leave a tip on the table? How about at the bar? If you order a drink, can you leave a buck or 2? I know how the tips work at the end of the cruise but can these be extra oe are they still even expected?

On the last night, I did add a couple of bucks to our bar tab. We also added an additional gratuity to our bill at Johnny Rockets - just because the waiter was really good. The only time we used cash for tipping was for room service --- $2 every time we ordered with them. I didn't see anyone leaving cash. We didn't carry cash anywhere, so if I wanted to add an additional tip, I just put it on the bar bill.

I wouldn't just leave cash on the table or bar. If you want to tip using cash, just hand it right to the person you want to give it to.

You always have to sign off on your bar tab, and it is really easy to just add in a dollar, or two, or three when you sign off. These added tips go 100% to the bar waiter who's name is on the top of the check.

Tracy

I guess my biggest problem is actually walking away without leaving a tip. Obviously this is our first cruise and when going out, whether it's for dinner or just drinks, we always leave a tip. I just don't want to feel cheap.

Tanya,

Just remember that they are automatically tipped when you order a drink or soda --- 15% is added automatically. And they expect to get their tip at the end of the week. When you see that charge on your Sea Pass, you won't feel like you have stiffed anyone. ;)

Janine

I agree with Janine. They are already tipped.

In the dining room they get their envelopes and assume the tip is in them. If you don't pre-tip there will be envelopes in your room the second to last night, right on your bed or near the mirror, you cannot miss them.

Tanya,

Just remember that they are automatically tipped when you order a drink or soda --- 15% is added automatically. And they expect to get their tip at the end of the week. When you see that charge on your Sea Pass, you won't feel like you have stiffed anyone. ;)

Janine

So if you have a soda card and you order a soda, do they still charge you a tip??:confused: First time cruiser here also.:o

My best advice would be to read the bill before you sign it. Many people see the tip line and then dash down a couple of bucks without realising they are adding a couple bucks to the orginal tip, which has already been added on and itemised above.

There is always a controversy on the boards about whether the bar-tender, waiter, room attendant or whoever, gets to keep all the tip you give them. Some swear (based on conversations with employees) that they "know" the employee gets to keep the whole tip while others swear, (based on conversatiosn with other employees) that they "know" that tips are pooled to protect individual servers from guests who don't tip, etc. My guess is that different hotel managers on thie ships run things differently.

My best understanding, based on nothing, is that dining room servers keep their tips but then, in turn, tip out some of the workers who work with them.

The bartenders tips go into a general pool and are split evenly.

Cabin Stewards keep it but then tip down to other employees.

This is a surmise based on years of talking to various people with RCI and people "in the know". Although I would put no more credence into this theory than any other.

Also Schplnky is correct. On the bar tab the tip is already there. Not on on Cruise Ship bar tabs but if you are in a land based hotel and get room service look at the tab, the tip is probably already built in.

I guess my biggest problem is actually walking away without leaving a tip. Obviously this is our first cruise and when going out, whether it's for dinner or just drinks, we always leave a tip. I just don't want to feel cheap.

This is amusing to me, because I find my biggest problem is just after I get off a cruise, and stop at some restaurant on the way home, I tend to want to forget to even pay the bill on the way out, after spending a week of fine dining with no bill to pay at the end of the meal! :)

Just like sea legs and land legs... it takes a while to get used to either one!

Theron

You can choose to put the recommended gratuities on your Sea Pass (which is then charged to a credit card). You will then get a set of vouchers that you can put in envelopes for waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter, and room steward. I think some people put a bit of extra cash into some envelopes, others wrote a personal note on the vouchers. Towards the end of the cruise, there will be notes in the Cruise Compass reminding you to fill out a form if you want to prepay tips on your Sea Pass.

You can choose to put the recommended gratuities on your Sea Pass (which is then charged to a credit card). You will then get a set of vouchers that you can put in envelopes for waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter, and room steward. I think some people put a bit of extra cash into some envelopes, others wrote a personal note on the vouchers. Towards the end of the cruise, there will be notes in the Cruise Compass reminding you to fill out a form if you want to prepay tips on your Sea Pass.

And don't forget, you can pre-pay the tips when you pay for the cruise.

Some swear (based on conversations with employees) that they "know" the employee gets to keep the whole tip while others swear, (based on conversatiosn with other employees) that they "know" that tips are pooled to protect individual servers from guests who don't tip, etc..

Both are correct. The 15% tip which is automatically added to the tab is split among the bar staff evenly. Any amount which you write in on the "optional" additional tip line goes 100% to the server who's name is on the top of the check.

Tracy

If you feel squeamish about accepting service from your waiter(s) all week but not tipping them until the final night, then you can do as I (and others) do: Give your waiter, asst waiter, and cabin steward part of their cash tip (or extra money, or a gift of some sort and money) and a thank you card on the first formal night.

That way, you've already singled them out, and they understand there is more tip to come.

For bar servers, if they are extra nice, I give them a $1 bill on top of the folio, usually folded into a fun shape like a heart or a hawaiian shirt or a bow tie. Last cruise I brought a bunch of fancy chocolate coins and gave them out with the $1 bills. A big hit!

Archived