South Beach / Downtown Miami

vesw01

We are looking at either staying at the Holiday Inn Miami near the port or somewhere down by the beach. Does anyone know what part of town I would look to book at if we wanted to stay near South Beach or something that has the "real" LOL Miami feel. Everyone says that they pay around $60 on priceline, I am just not sure what areas I should select. I think I would rather stay somewhere close to the "Action" and then take a cab to the port - any thoughts? We will be there at the end of Sept 06

I really appreciate the help a TON!!

Look for something next to Ocean Drive or Lincoln Mall.

This is where the action is.. lots of restaurants with outside seating and people watching etc.

I am staying at the new Loews Hotel in South Beach.. its on the beach with a pool and gorgeous.. also in walking distance to everythng.. a little pricey but hey its vacation..

Be careful because alot of the older hotels are in the action but you will not be able to sleep because of the noise levels outside..

there is also a Holiday Inn near South Beach...just a block or two away. I just mentioned as it can be economical. If you do hit SoBe, definetely go to "The Clevelander" and my personal favorite, "Wet Willies"!

Have fun!

We stayed at the Blue Moon Hotel at South Beach before our cruise. It is not the most modern hotel but it was clean and very ,very quaint. We took a cab from the airport and arrived way before our check in time and they allowed us to check in early. It is in walking distance of pretty much all of the restaurants and bars on the strip. As I said, it isn't the most up to date, but it was romantic and quaint. The staff was very nice to us. We stayed at the Hyatt downtown after our cruise. It was a very nice hotel and clean. The only thing I hated was the location. We went downtown once and that was enough for us. We pretty much ordered pizza from a pizza place and it was delivered to our room. We did go to the bar in the hotel for a few drinks. I would stay at the Blue Moon again and again. We got good prices on both of these places on Priceline. If you have never been to South Beach you will really enjoy it. If I go back to Miami, I will stay in the South Beach area and take a cab again from there to and from the ship. Have fun on your cruise. I am thinking about planning another one for us pretty soon.

If you bid on priceline, you'll need to bid resort, 4* and 3* in South Beach. It used to be a cinch to get Royal Palm 4* but 4* isn't an option now for South Beach on Priceline. Don't know what the latest news on hot to get Royal Palm but you can find info at bidding for travel dot com that will guide you on Priceline.

I highly recommend Royal Palm. It's in the heart of South Beach. As another poster mentioned, the Holiday Inn is also right on the beach in South Beach and it's a nice place as well.

We stayed at The Park Central in South Beach. It was a very nice hotel and even had a pool which I don't think is to common in the Art Deco area. I believe you can get a room for about $150 maybe a little less. The Winterhaven didn't look to bad from passing by. Most of the hotels on Ocean Drive will be well over $100 a night. Most on the beach will be $200 and up. Check out www.tripadvisor.com it will list the hotel and give reviews of them. There is one called the Atlantica that is less expensive and also has good reviews. I think it is a block or two from the beach.

The main thing to remember is that if the location says Miami, it is in the city of Miami. South Beach is in the city of Miami Beach, which is located on the barrier island just across from main part of Miami. If you want to do some of hanging out on the beach and exploring the clubs, by all means try to stay on the island. It was a $25 cab ride one way from our downtown Miami hotel to get over to South Beach.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

Archived