E. Med. - Snorkeling in Greek Isles? Costa del Sol?

mlbcruiser

Don't think I've ever seen this question on here before, but then I don't see them all!

We'll be cruising the E. Med. in June and were wondering if there is very good snorkeling from any of the beaches in Rhodes, Santorini or Mykonos (although we won't arrive in Mykonos until 3 p.m. so that probably will take care of that port as far as snorkeling goes!)? Additionally we'll be visiting the Costa del Sol in Spain for a couple of days prior to our cruise. Although I don't expect these are super places for snorkeling, I really don't know. I have a Rx mask but don't want to bring it unless there is a decent chance I will get to use it!

Thanks for any info!

I lived in the Greek islands for three years, and crewed a yacht during the summer months and dived, and snorkeled in Mykonos, Rhodes and Santorini. I found that the snorkeling and diving was superb at most of the islands, depending on winds and surf. Although coral is essentially absent, there are many rock reefs just offshore with abundant sealife, sponges etc.

Santorini may be iffy, simply because of the depth, its actually a volcanic crater, and the boat traffic, at least where the cruise ships dock. Kamari has a dive center, that's on the Eastern side of the island, and isthe better bet, especially for snorkeling.

You will find the water somewhat chilly in June. The med isn't like the Caribbean, the water does get cold during the winter months, and really doesn't get pleasant until the begining of July, so a minimum of a shorty, or full 3mm full suit would be appropriate.

The same applies to the Costa Del Sol. There are quite a few small intlets and coves along the coast, and most of them have rocky dropoffs very suitable for snorkeling, and deeper rock reefs for SCUBA.

You will love the islands, and the crystal clear waters around them!;)

cmgchiefthom, that is what I needed to know. My husband does dive and would probably be thrilled to get in a dive at least a one tank dive at one of the islands. As you know, a ship doesn't give you much time in port. However, usually I arrange a dive for him ahead of time (just did it for St. Thos. on our cruise of a wk. ago!) and they let me go along in the boat and snorkel around a bit. I also did that in Kauai. Deep water, but usually I see something cool - turtles or fish. Maybe we can work something in for him. We weren't planning to bring his dive things, though (wet suit, etc.). It's just SO MUCH to drag along that far! I remember how cold the water was at VIllefranche and Positano 5 yrs. ago in June! I at least went in the water. My husband felt it was too cool! LOL! Thanks for your reply.

Archived