E. Med - Galaxy itinerary - anyplace to snorke?

mlbcruiser

I know, I know! I have too many questions, but I just have to ask this (even though it's probably a dumb one): Are there any beaches in Rhodes, Santorini or Mykonos where snorkeling would be an option? Somehow I doubt it, but I have a Rx mask and don't want to bring it unless there is a chance I will get to use it, nor do I want to be w/out it if I need it!

P.S. That should have been an L at the end of my thread title before the ?.

The beaches are close by or easily reached by cab on Mykonos and Rhodes. You can walk to the adjacent beaches at Kusadasi. On Santorini, you may need to make arrangements with a local boatman for transportation to a suitable area as the tender-in docking area would not be suitable due to lots of boat traffic, or get ground transport to the lower end of the island.

'Miner

Check local regulations closely. Because people can use snorkeling and scuba diving for relic hunting, there are very specific regulations about where such activities are permitted.

On the other hand, Tsambika Beach in Rhodes was a wonderful surprise for a dip in the sea last summer. We happened upon it in our rental car. It is between Rhodes Town and Lindos.

I know, I know! I have too many questions, but I just have to ask this (even though it's probably a dumb one): Are there any beaches in Rhodes, Santorini or Mykonos where snorkeling would be an option?

MLBCruiser - you may also want to post this question (and do a search) on the SCUBA diving board - there isn't a whole lot of info about anything other than the Caribbean, but someone there may know and be able to help.

In case you need to rent fins and snorkel, be aware that diving/snorkeling in the Med is also very seasonal - although the weather may still be OK the operators seem to close up pretty early, in September or early October.

We will be going in early June. I fear the water will be pretty cool then based upon the temp of the water in Villefranche and Positano in June a few yrs. ago. I have asked about snorkeling on the diving and snorkeling board. Somehow I kind of doubt my dh will end up getting any diving in (sure don't want him dragging all that stuff all the way to Europe!) but I think I'll still end up bringing my RX mask just in case! Renting a car is always such a great way to find those special places you didn't know would be there!

Archived