Swimming with Dolphins on Isla Margarita

bakery

We just got back from our Golden Princess cruise and I wanted to post my thoughts about the Swimming with Dolphins excursion on Isla Margarita. I had some concerns before I went about how the dolphins would be treated, but I decided to chance it and take my family.

It was a fantastic excursion and I'm really glad we went for it. The staff came on board our bus when we got to the centre to talk to us about the dolphins -- e.g. how to safely touch them and letting them get used to us in the pool. When we got to the pool area itself, they gave us life jackets and led us to the water. The water was clean and the trainers seemed respectful of the dolphins.

First, the dolphins swam around us and we got to touch them. Next, they took turns swimming up to us and "kissing" our faces. And finally they swam up to us while we took hold of our fins, and they gave us a ride across the pool.

You can buy a CD of pictures of the experience for $30 (you're not allowed to take your camera into the pool). I did notice a couple of passengers who travelled as "observers" and who took pictures from the side of the pool.

The staff seemed very polite and pleasant (unlike in an earlier review I read). The only negative was that the outside of the facility looks a bit dodgy, but once you get inside it's fine.

If possible, take one of the earlier excursions to allow yourself time at the straw market before sailing. It was definitely our favorite market of the trip and the girls had fun shopping at it.

This was a real highlight for my whole family, and I would recommend it without hesitation.

Awesome!! That is good to know. I did have a little concern from an earlier post saying the water was dirty, and not a good excursion. But I will be there next week so I am glad to hear that it is indeed a nice excurison. My sister and I are both doing this. So can we just take the pics of eachother or do we have to buy "their" cd?

No cameras are permitted in the pool area. This is for the safety of the animals. They also ask you not to wear sunscreen and to remove all jewelry, including wedding rings. (If you can't get your rings off, they'll tape over them.)

Anyone who isn't swimming can stay in the observation area (located right next to the pool) and take pictures, but it sounds like both of you are swimming. In that case, if you want pictures the only alternative is to buy their CD.

If you just want pictures of the dolphins, you could easily take them before or after you go in the pool.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I am back from my cruise. The swim with the dolphins was outstanding. I really enjoyed it a lot. It is in a run down area, but it is a very poor country. I would highly recommend it. It was about a 45 min ride to the swim site.

Archived