Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard

cruiserking

Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard

• I do not feel jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard.
    • I think jeans are fine during the day but, not at night.
    • I think jeans are suitable dress anytime of the day.
    • No Opinion

For the benefit of our American cousins, a rattin' cap is a flat cap once mainly associated with the working class of the north of England. It's enough to give his Lordship apoplexy.

Okay, so I still don't get it. Is this like what I would call a driving cap? Like one might see on a person driving an MG Roadster? Flat on top, but fills out in front over the brim?

Karie,

Who is fashion-challenged

P.S. Gotta get me one of those. I LOVE the power of giving his Lordship apoplexy! He look so cute with a purple face!

Okay, so I still don't get it. Is this like what I would call a driving cap?

I've been looking for a picture - there don't seem to be that many on the web. This is the best I can come up with. The man on the left in this picture is wearing one.

Lastofthesummerwine-medium.jpg.332be9325ed279005fd899fc9613dabe.jpg

Is that a "Driving Cap"?

I've been looking for a picture - there don't seem to be that many on the web. This is the best I can come up with. The man on the left in this picture is wearing one.

[ATTACH]21215[/ATTACH]

Is that a "Driving Cap"?

No., that's a rather large spotting scope (Who says size doesn;t matter <G>)

OH! You mean the one on the LEFT left!

Yeah- As far as I can tell, it appears to be a type of one. Some are somewhat stiff- like a kangol cap, some are more floppy. I had one when I drove a Triumph Spitfre (Mk II, not 2- 1967, Still with Triumph, not British Leyland engineering! Made in February 67, as far as I could tell.- My Blueberry Creampuff, AKA the zipper! With the tonneau half on, you could zip yourself in!)

Karie,

who still misses her baby I got around quite a bit in those days! And my little car got me there! And I could tune those twin SU carbs by ear!

Yes, you've got it ma'am. I must say that you Americans catch on pretty damn quick. If there's anything else you'd like to know please don't hesitate to ask! Due to the world-wide interest I'm thinking of putting mine on e-Bay! (as worn by Prince Charles). Anyone out there to start me at $1000 ?

No., that's a rather large spotting scope (Who says size doesn;t matter <G>)

I had one when I drove a Triumph Spitfre (Mk II, not 2- 1967, Still with Triumph, not British Leyland engineering! Made in February 67, as far as I could tell.- My Blueberry Creampuff, AKA the zipper! With the tonneau half on, you could zip yourself in!)

Karie,

who still misses her baby I got around quite a bit in those days! And my little car got me there! And I could tune those twin SU carbs by ear!

With the walnut veneer on the dash? I had one too. Took a short service gratuity (like a lump sum on leaving work) and spent it immediately on my beloved Spitfire. Seemed a good idea at the time, better than putting it to my pension fund. Seems a crap idea now that retirement is on the horizon but hey ho.

She was a dream and those carbs......sweet when perfectly tuned, but out of synch driving was hell. Don't see too many of them on the road now. Shame.

Brilliant, my formal attire for my November trip is nearly complete. Jeans and a ratting cap.

May I suggest sir (or madam) that to complete your formal attire you should give serious consideration to a string vest. They have become 'de rigeur' in the English shires and such an outfit will surely result in an invitation to dine at the Captain's table. However, please remember that in true naval fashion you should never speak to the Captain without he first speaks to you! In your case you may have to wait a while. But of course, being a person of impeccable breeding and good taste, you knew that anyway!

Slow Foxtrot (or was it the Boston Two Step)?

Brilliant, my formal attire for my November trip is nearly complete. Jeans and a ratting cap. Very a la mode comme on dit en France! That should keep the Captain entertained over dinner.

well, Anteeta, does this mean you will put a dollop of ice cream on your head? Pray tell, what flavor? Usually the QM2 serves three flavors at a time.

I think SF (or BST)'s idea of s string vest is perfect. I saw them in the Sunady sale ads today, and they ARE the thing for this spring season.

How will you will accesorize? It's just so difficult to decide.

Hmm, and the one I crocheted. That would be sort of a tatted ratting cap, would it not?

And, no, I didn't have the simulated woodgrain dash. Mine was of the plain variety. (In my Spitfire, not my ratter!)

Karie,

who will have to rethink her chapeau for the next Ascot ball. I didn't even go to a Derby party this year (Kentucky, that is) Too painful. The person at whose home we always celebrated the Derby in grand style (a la mode, as it were) died of cancer last January- He was in his late 50's, and went quickly (Only diagnosed in November) Some celebrated his life by throwing a grand Derby party with his widow, who came back up from Texas for the occasion. I just couldn't do it.

I think a knotted hanky to keep the sun off - do you know about that British "tradition"? :D

"Yes, this is another piece of stunning apparel which is yet again beloved by the proletariat of northern England. Experts on the sartorial elegance of the English suggest that it may first have made its debut on the beaches of Blackpool (that's the place with the big Tower and the mighty Wurlitzer).

As far as I know it has never been seen on formal nights aboard the Q.M.2. but, as Cunard progressively 'dumbs down', there is every chance of a sighting on the sun-deck. Fortunately, my domestic staff know better than to tempt fate by wearing either jeans, rattin' caps or knotted hankies in my presence.

No use spouting to me about 'rights' - they don't have any!

I think a knotted hanky to keep the sun off - do you know about that British "tradition"?:D

Sorry.

Not familiar withit. (I guess I travel in the wrong circles!) Where does one place such an apurtenance? <G>

Karie,

who is MOST fashion-challenged

Take a man's handkerchief (sorry:( A ladies would be just too small); Tie a knot in each corner; You're left with a Piece of cloth where the edges have been drawn up but with enough room to fit on your head. Wear it as a hat - just right for August Bank in Skeggy:D (Skegness - A seaside resort on the East Coast - some people make fun of it - I'm not sure why).

knotted_hanky170.jpg.77c851ff1cffd827a4c493baf0298b10.jpg

"Yes, this is another piece of stunning apparel which is yet again beloved by the proletariat of northern England. Experts on the sartorial elegance of the English suggest that it may first have made its debut on the beaches of Blackpool (that's the place with the big Tower and the mighty Wurlitzer).

As far as I know it has never been seen on formal nights aboard the Q.M.2. but, as Cunard progressively 'dumbs down', there is every chance of a sighting on the sun-deck. Fortunately, my domestic staff know better than to tempt fate by wearing either jeans, rattin' caps or knotted hankies in my presence.

No use spouting to me about 'rights' - they don't have any!

Well Slow Foxtrot ... it may not have been sighted on QM2 but it was to be seen in all its glory on QE2, that bastion of formal attire, last year!!!!! Anyone for tennis?????

Oldmencc.jpg.4c02d3586dc65c3acf7ddcd235188776.jpg

With regard to question regarding 'Ratting Cap', many nations wear caps; such as the Dutch.

Funny you should say that. My chauffeur married a young lady from Amsterdam and he was telling me one day that she always wore a Dutch Cap.

Did you say this was similar to a rattin' cap?

Funny you should say that. My chauffeur married a young lady from Amsterdam and he was telling me one day that she always wore a Dutch Cap.

Did you say this was similar to a rattin' cap?

Youre naughty! When I stop laughing, I'll go back and reply to the earlier posts. Just having a post prandial snifter first.

Well Slow Foxtrot ... it may not have been sighted on QM2 but it was to be seen in all its glory on QE2, that bastion of formal attire, last year!!!!! Anyone for tennis?????

Well, well, well! So there we have it. Straight from the horse's mouth (if you'll pardon the expression, sir). Incontrovertible evidence of Cunard's descent into the proletarian abyss. And, sadly, we cannot blame our American cousins in this instance because, as we all know, the knotted handkerchief worn on the head is a sure sign of the British working class on holiday. On reading this, my lady wife (whose name escapes me at the moment) had a touch of the vapours and I have promised not to refer to Cunard again. Incidentally, can anyone recommend an exclusive Cruise Line where one can avoid the hoi polloi?

May I suggest sir (or madam) that to complete your formal attire you should give serious consideration to a string vest. They have become 'de rigeur' in the English shires and such an outfit will surely result in an invitation to dine at the Captain's table. However, please remember that in true naval fashion you should never speak to the Captain without he first speaks to you! In your case you may have to wait a while. But of course, being a person of impeccable breeding and good taste, you knew that anyway!

Slow Foxtrot (or was it the Boston Two Step)?

Thanks SF. I must cobfess the idea of the string vest completing the ensemble had not occurred to me. Possibly because in the grim North, these undergarments are not worn with quite the same panache as in the Shires, or indeed the Home Counties. I wonder if one could customise with some sequins as its a formal occasion. I shall give this option some serious thought. Do you have any idea how low cut a string vest will be on a lady?

well, Anteeta, does this mean you will put a dollop of ice cream on your head? Pray tell, what flavor? Usually the QM2 serves three flavors at a time.

We're going QE2, but I think I'll skip this suggestion thanks!

I think SF (or BST)'s idea of s string vest is perfect. I saw them in the Sunady sale ads today, and they ARE the thing for this spring season.

Travelling in Nov/Dec, but I'm not too worried about being just a little behind current fashion. I've checked our press and find I may be able to take advantage of a BOGOF (buy one get one free) so it just gets better and better.

How will you will accesorize? It's just so difficult to decide.

I'm wondering about maybe tye dyeing. That would be a little different. That with handstitched sequins and I think I'll have achieved the look.

Hmm, and the one I crocheted. That would be sort of a tatted ratting cap, would it not? It would indeed. Tatting don't see much of that any more.

And, no, I didn't have the simulated woodgrain dash. Mine was of the plain variety. (In my Spitfire, not my ratter!)

Karie,

who will have to rethink her chapeau for the next Ascot ball. I didn't even go to a Derby party this year (Kentucky, that is) Too painful. The person at whose home we always celebrated the Derby in grand style (a la mode, as it were) died of cancer last January- He was in his late 50's, and went quickly (Only diagnosed in November) Some celebrated his life by throwing a grand Derby party with his widow, who came back up from Texas for the occasion. I just couldn't do it.

Maybe next year it will be a little easier.

Thanks SF. I must confess the idea of the string vest completing the ensemble had not occurred to me. Do you have any idea how low cut a string vest will be on a lady?

Well, my dear, in the Shires we like our stable girls to wear them as low as possible. Of course, her Ladyship is not too keen on this idea but, as she's always chatting-up my Head Boy she has no cause for complaint. For formal nights on the Q.M.2. I am sure you will look resplendent in your see-through string vest, jeans and rattin' cap. May I suggest a couple of tattoos on each forearm and you will fit in very well with the steerage wallahs who enjoy their ten minutes of fame at the Ascot Ball.

Take a man's handkerchief (sorry:( A ladies would be just too small);

Fresh or used <snicker>

A Skeg is that fin on the bottom of a surfboard. Scrapes in the gook if you bottom out.

Karie,

Who thinks she shall remain fashion-challenged for a while longer

Archived