Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard

cruiserking

Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard

• I do not feel jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard.
    • I think jeans are fine during the day but, not at night.
    • I think jeans are suitable dress anytime of the day.
    • No Opinion

Well, my dear, in the Shires we like our stable girls to wear them as low as possible. Of course, her Ladyship is not too keen on this idea but, as she's always chatting-up my Head Boy she has no cause for complaint. For formal nights on the Q.M.2. I am sure you will look resplendent in your see-through string vest, jeans and rattin' cap. May I suggest a couple of tattoos on each forearm and you will fit in very well with the steerage wallahs who enjoy their ten minutes of fame at the Ascot Ball.

We're QE2, not QM. Thanks for the tip about the tattoos and blessed relief; both arms, lower back and the ubiquitous 'belly button' are already resplendent with colourful and ornate replicas of daggers and skulls. This fine art was undertaken by a highly talented tattoo artist in Skegness whom I met when holidaying there last year. QE2 will be such a refreshing change from Butlins.

Well, my dear, in the Shires we like our stable girls to wear them as low as possible. Of course, her Ladyship is not too keen on this idea but, as she's always chatting-up my Head Boy she has no cause for complaint. For formal nights on the Q.M.2. I am sure you will look resplendent in your see-through string vest, jeans and rattin' cap. May I suggest a couple of tattoos on each forearm and you will fit in very well with the steerage wallahs who enjoy their ten minutes of fame at the Ascot Ball.

Thanks SF. I'm so pleased; the tattoos on each arm, lower back and left shoulder won't be out of place after all. The ornate and colourful skull and cross bone configurations will really come into their own. By the way I can highly recommend the little known but talented tattoo artist in Skegness who completed these microcosms of artistic talent. And he has a discount rate for Butlins guests!

By the way I can highly recommend the little known but talented tattoo artist in Skegness who completed these microcosms of artistic talent. And he has a discount rate for Butlins guests!

Well my dear, it's quite a leap from Butlin's Holiday Camp to the Q.E.2. (or rather, it used to be!) but I am sure you will look resplendent. Incidentally, one of my stable girls has a butterfly tattoo on her left buttock (don't ask me how I know). I had no idea Butlin's was still going although I do remember that my late father once met Billy Butlin at the Palace Garden Party. But that's another story.

Well my dear, it's quite a leap from Butlin's Holiday Camp to the Q.E.2. (or rather, it used to be!)

Aren't they pretty much the same thing now? QE2 is a cross between a holiday camp and a Carry-On Film.:)

Aren't they pretty much the same thing now? QE2 is a cross between a holiday camp and a Carry-On Film.:)

On my Lord ..... how dare you pnhmrk???? How dare you .... take my line!!!

Are we gonna get flamed or what????

Well, my dear, in the Shires we like our stable girls to wear them as low as possible.

And how, pray tell do you like your UNstable girls to wear them?

Karie, who imagines he OP is disavowing all knowledge of the turn this thread has taken!

No way do I think jeans should be allowed on any Cunard ship. This is a Ocean Liner not a cruise ship. People these days dress like slobs and is embarrassing to be around. At least on a Cunard ship people dress very nicely and is nice to be around. Cunard has had this reputation for 180 years and love how the tradition keeps going. That is why it is The Most Famous Oceanliner In The World!!!!!! :p

No way do I think jeans should be allowed on any Cunard ship. This is a Ocean Liner not a cruise ship. People these days dress like slobs and is embarrassing to be around. At least on a Cunard ship people dress very nicely and is nice to be around. Cunard has had this reputation for 180 years and love how the tradition keeps going. That is why it is The Most Famous Oceanliner In The World!!!!!! :p

I didn't know Carol Marlowe was on these boards!

(Sorry, QV, I just had to!)

Karie,

who prefers to remain anonymous

Spoke to my dad last night - he worked on Cunard liners in the late fifties. The ONLY time that jeans were worn were for "scrub outs" i.e. scrubbing the decks. So, if you are planning to wear your jeans - then bring your scrubbing brush!

Dad is delighted that I am sailing 'above deck', and though I may be staying in an inside D cabin, I shall dress up in a manner that will make him proud!

Spoke to my dad last night - he worked on Cunard liners in the late fifties. The ONLY time that jeans were worn were for "scrub outs" i.e. scrubbing the decks.

Your father is quite right, my dear. Those were the days. Years ago the scrubbers were cleaning the decks; now they are all dining in the Britannia Restaurant! The country's going to the dogs, don't you know?

I didn't know Carol Marlowe was on these boards!

(Sorry, QV, I just had to!)

Karie,

who prefers to remain anonymous

Um, who is Carol Marlowe? (I realize that my inquiry regarding the "rattin' cap" gave new life to this jeans thread, but I have to plead ignorance again.)

Your father is quite right, my dear. Those were the days. Years ago the scrubbers were cleaning the decks; now they are all dining in the Britannia Restaurant! The country's going to the dogs, don't you know?

P.S. No disrespect to you all you lovely ladies of impecunious means. Please forgive the English sense of humour. The comment was meant to imply that the sort of people who did manual work for Cunard in the 1950s are now able to come aboard as passengers. It's called progress. No bad thing, er, up to a point!

P.S. No disrespect to you all you lovely ladies of impecunious means. Please forgive the English sense of humour. The comment was meant to imply that the sort of people who did manual work for Cunard in the 1950s are now able to come aboard as passengers. It's called progress. No bad thing, er, up to a point!

Oooooh er Slow Foxtrot .... does spade, hole and deeper ring any bells????

As I sit here trying not to be offended by your comment, I cannot help but think about the following fact ....

.... my father may well have worked for Commodore Warwick's father. But, by me becoming a customer of Cunard, his father now effectively works for me!

As a passenger, I fully intend to up-hold the high qualities of Cunard that my father worked hard to help build.

I only hope that you do the same.

(I guess I am annoyed...)

Hi Toffeegirl...please don't be offended by some of the posts you read here. I see by the number of posts you might be fairly new to this board. SOmetimes we put our foot in our mouths and say things in jest that don't always come across quite as meant. Humor doesn't always translate properly in a written state so please don't take anything you read here personally. It took me awhile to figure that out when I first started here last fall. Now I just ignore the negatives and focus on all the helpful information I get here from past pax.

I'm sure you will be as proud as we to sail with Cunard. My husband's grandfather was one of those 1950's persons who worked most of his life for Cunard....and not at a high level job either. We like to think that he'll be watching us board QM2 in Dec...have breakfast on our Deck 11 balcony and dance the night away in our formal attire and be very proud of the life his grandson made for himself....much as I'm sure your Dad will be. So do enjoy your trip and please forgive our sometimes boorish remarks. Cheers, Penny

I just had to add my two cents about my fellow passenger's dress on my first (and last) Royal Caribbean cruise.

After late seating on our formal night a young man exited the dining room and immediately stripped off his oxford shirt so that all could admire his blingeddy-bling 4in gold cross and several tatoos. He carried his shirt around for the rest of the evening. Apparently he uses a shirt as an accessory (much as a lady would with a handbag) as every time we saw him around the ship he was barechested and carrying his shirt.

I won't go into the description of all the grossly overweight women wearing bikinis, and men in tank tops (GASP!)

If there should ever come a time that I see this on a Cunard ship, I think I'll jump overboard. Although there was that older women sunbathing in her bra on the QE2 in 2001......

My flight gets in to New York at 10am.

I have specific written instructions not to show up at the ship until 3:00PM with the rest of the riff-raff steerage passengers. The big question is: I bought Cunard transfers from the airport to the ship. What will they do with me for five hours?.....scrape barnacles off the hull? THEN should I wear jeans?

I really think I am all ready to go though.

I finally found some mittens with holes in the fingers and have been going to karaoke night at a bar that features songs from the musical production "Oliver".

My flight gets in to New York at 10am.

I have specific written instructions not to show up at the ship until 3:00PM with the rest of the riff-raff steerage passengers. The big question is: I bought Cunard transfers from the airport to the ship. What will they do with me for five hours?.....scrape barnacles off the hull? THEN should I wear jeans?

I really think I am all ready to go though.

I finally found some mittens with holes in the fingers and have been going to karaoke night at a bar that features songs from the musical production "Oliver".

<LOL> Good question. You mean they won't be wining and dining you at some fabulous New York hotel...er school bus?

Yes, you found the mittens, but have you gotten your ratting cap? And your do-rag, or whatever that hanky thing is called?

Karie,

Who is STILL fashion-challenged!

Oooooh er Slow Foxtrot .... does spade, hole and deeper ring any bells ?

"Ho, Ho, Ho, slip of the tongue Old Boy. One can be castigated nowadays for the slightest misdemeanour. My neighbour Jonquil Carruthers was recently caught 'in flagrante delicto' with an under-age stable girl. Fortunately the judge was a fellow Guards Officer so the case was dismissed! What, you might ask, has all this to do with the wearing of jeans? Well, as it happens, the young lass was not wearing any. So there you are, it's a funny old world!"

CruiseFever just show up. We peasants boarded about 3 hours earlier and it was no big deal. (It must have been my denim ballgown with the plunging, studded neckline that got us through. That and hubby's Grey Ghost cap) :rolleyes: Sheer class opens many doors... :D

CruiseFever just show up. We peasants boarded about 3 hours earlier and it was no big deal. (It must have been my denim ballgown with the plunging, studded neckline that got us through. That and hubby's Grey Ghost cap) :rolleyes: Sheer class opens many doors... :D

Lady, You're the best.

And I needed the smile tonight.

Since you asked before, Dad's not eating- I really feel I must take off and go down there now. It doesn't sound good. (Dad's a southern gent a barbcue king! He LOVES to eat!) And I have to wait until after tomorrow when they ATTEEMPT to lay me off! Well, they intend to surplus me. I will have a couple of months, I think, to find something before I am out the door and selling pencils on the street... or working in some maudlin cruise show entertainment venue. <EG> Not to worry,. I will land on my feet there. My work ethic and reputation is such that people don't even know about the surplus (I'm not actually supposed to know til it happens) and I have already received several job offers. Of course, they are in various places.. not where I live. But I am confident there are enough people who really feel I am worth saving that I feel confident something will come up. Several people are already ding everything in their power, including the HR Manager, who has know me all 27 years of my employ there! He's managed to save me before, by creating a job for me where there was none, around my particular skills and experience.

I'm not so sure about my father though. It seems like he is giving up, and I will not let that happen. I feel certain if I can get down there, I can talk some sense into hi. After all, I am a southern Daddy's little girl. That means something!

Anyway- I know it sounds silly, but it means something that a refined lady such as yourself <G> would get in our little game here. I mean, here you are a Lady, and me, just a commoner!

Karie,

Who is actually wuite UNcommon, to most people's way of thinking! Ask anyone who's met me!

P.S. Can I borrow the studded necked dress for our Labor Day cruise? I could wear it on one arm!

Archived