Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard

cruiserking

Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard

• I do not feel jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard.
    • I think jeans are fine during the day but, not at night.
    • I think jeans are suitable dress anytime of the day.
    • No Opinion

Oh dear. Sounds as if a snifter or two have already been emptied.

"In olden days a glimpse of stocking

was looked on as rather shocking.

Now heaven knows,

anything goes"

Alas. This, dear friends, is a very old arguement.

Being a member of the knuckle-dragging, cold beer swilling, loud, rude and obnoxious American nation, I suppose I should make some bellicose statement on freedom and the rights of the individual.

But instead, I think I'd rather join the gentlemen in the club!

This uncouth and semi-civilized Yank says "please leave the jeans at home".

Oh dear. Sounds as if a snifter or two have already been emptied.....I suppose I should make some bellicose statement on freedom and the rights of the individual. But instead, I think I'd rather join the gentlemen in the club! This uncouth and semi-civilized Yank says "please leave the jeans at home".

"Splendid, yet another convert, and a fine example of Anglo-American co-operation if I may say so. At this rate we may bring back civilisation to Cunard. My hunting friend Jonquil Carruthers has banned the wearing of jeans even in his stables! Frankly, they looked silly on his horses. Snifters are on me in the Commodore Club.

Originally posted by Slow Foxtrot:

"if you must wear jeans then book with Windjammer or Mr Disney - you'll feel totally at home."

Or just with Carnival -Mr Arison's empire can accommodate all inclinations-, or RCCL, or NCL...

Well, I don't try to restrict anyone's freedom. All I say is : follow yourself and don't go where you don't feel comfortable...

Moreover, I would add an old saying: 'A clever man does not go where he is not welcomed'. (hehe)

Freedom is one thing and trying to flatten everything is quite another. It is an oppressing characteristic of the totalitarian regimes of the previous century, against which freedom to exist and keep one's identity fought and triumphed, if you want.

In all shore-excursions I wore jeans. But putting on a different pair of trousers when returning to the ship cost me just half a minute.

It is nice to enjoy a place for what it is. If you feel it deserves it, try not to offend it: this is a nice gesture, showing a nice inner self.

More crucially, such a behaviour is just a way to enjoy life.

As to snifters, I concede one or two are not harmful. And yes, I liked the Commodore Club. Feel free to say I'm drunken, but I do believe some nice things are worth to be preserved. And Cunard traditions, even if seemingly distorted in a world context different from that of their birth, seem to be one of them.

QE2, QM2

and most nostalgically :

Stella Solaris (ex- Cambodge), Olympic (ex- Empress of Britain, Queen Anna Maria, Carnivale, Fiesta Marina), Pallas Athena (ex- Carla Costa, Flandre), Triton (ex- Cunard Adventurer, Sunward II), Oceanos (ex- Jean Laborde), City of Rhodos (ex- 33 Orientales)

My husband and I were on the April 23 wb sailing. We are 31 and 29, if that matters. We had booked the late dinner seating at 8:30. We wore jeans every single day, but dressed for dinner. (They were not even designer jeans *gasp*). The first day I was trying to notice how many other jeans wearers there were and there were plenty--of ALL ages. After that, it didn't matter any more and I thought no more of it. We did wear dress pants to tea in the Queen's room, but wore jeans everywhere else, including to the dining room for lunch. We never felt uncomfortable and I didn't notice any snotty looks either. I didn't see any people drop dead from shock. Other posters have said if you want to wear jeans book a Disney cruise. Please. For one, no other line had a TA crossing that would fit into our schedule. :P Second, that's just ridiculous. I do not plan my vacations to make OTHER people happy! So all of you out there who want to but are afraid to wear jeans--do it. You will not be shunned. You will not be cursed for life. You will have a fabulous time. Just like mom says "Don't worry about what other people think!!"

We wore jeans every single day, but dressed for dinner. (They were not even designer jeans *gasp*).

I do not plan my vacations to make OTHER people happy! So all of you out there who want to but are afraid to wear jeans--do it. You will not be shunned. You will not be cursed for life. You will have a fabulous time. Just like mom says "Don't worry about what other people think!!"

Has anyone said that jeans should not be permitted during the day time? We are just packing for the short trip later this week and I am packing two (:eek: ) pairs of denim jeans (one Tesco's own brand).

Like you I will dress for dinner. I will also try not to waddle into lunch in my swimming costume:D I go on the QE2 because there are a lot of like minded people there who do like to dress up - I don't go with Disney because I want a more formal experience. Why should you be allowed to wear what you like when you like where you like? Why do you want to encourage people to dress down on Cunard?

Ummm...unless it states otherwise (which it does not) of course I should be able to wear what I like, when I like. I am encouraging people to dress the way they want to. Bottom line. Am I asking those who prefer to dress up to dress down? Nope. This whole thing is ridiculous, if you ask me. We chose Cunard because it fit our schedule, and we liked the idea of all of the cultural programs instead of skating rinks, etc. I also have to add that a lot of those "dressy" clothes were down right ugly. To each their own.

Ummm...unless it states otherwise (which it does not) of course I should be able to wear what I like, when I like.

Are we talking about the same cruise line, the same ship and the same times of day? Cunard devote 3/4 of a page of their brochure to the question "Do I have to dress for dinner every evening?" That is accompanied by more information detailing what you should wear during the day, in port and in Kings Court/The Lido.

Are we talking about the same cruise line, the same ship and the same times of day? Cunard devote 3/4 of a page of their brochure to the question "Do I have to dress for dinner every evening?" That is accompanied by more information detailing what you should wear during the day, in port and in Kings Court/The Lido.

If Cunard devotes 3-4 pages in their brochures to the question of dress, then I think this is counter-productive. A certain segment of the travelling public (particularly in North America where dress tends to be seen as a matter of civil rights if not legally then mentally) will always try to defy whatever the accepted dress code is.

Also, as the baby boomers mature, the whole question of dress codes will likely go for a long "fly-away". I am at a business conference this week in Europe, where the Europeans are all dressed in suits and ties and the Americans are wearing "whatever".

When the baby boomers commence cruising in earnest (as they retire), then watch out.

Not 3 to 4, three quarters (or three fourths in US English).[/left]

[/center]

Sorry -- I must have been asleep when I originally read that very early today in Edinburgh.

Perhaps another perspective -- Cunard will probably maintain the "dress code" standards until (quite possibly) lower bookings obtain if the travelling public finds it too restrictive.

Then, in my opinion, Cunard will cave in and go for whatever standards will give them the best bookings. I am old enough to remember when there was a dress code for flying first class on most airlines -- but those days have long gone.

Whatever the baby boomers want -- history has shown -- they get. It has been that way since they were children!

I will forever have the image of boarding the QE2 imprinted in my mind. The 2003 holiday cruise from New York, a modest line of passengers decked out in their finery. It added to the excitement of boarding the grand liner.

You can wear jeans every day to the deli, the movies, the bank. Boarding and sailing on a classic ocean liner is a special experience, a departure from the ordinary.

Cruiserking

I agree with you. I wear jeans most of the time. I have no problem with having a dress code on a cruise. In fact I enjoy having the opportunity to wear a more formal style on cloths.

When we're on holiday, not necessarily on a cruise, we almost always shower and change before dinner - even if dinner is only a meal in a pub somewhere. It makes a break between the sightseeing and the evening's entertainment. It doesn't matter if you're putting on jeans and a T shirt, a jacket and tie or a tuxedo the amount of effort required is the same.

Wouldn't it be nice if all nights were formal?:D

I will forever have the image of boarding the QE2 imprinted in my mind. The 2003 holiday cruise from New York, a modest line of passengers decked out in their finery. It added to the excitement of boarding the grand liner.

You can wear jeans every day to the deli, the movies, the bank. Boarding and sailing on a classic ocean liner is a special experience, a departure from the ordinary.

Cruiserking

"Well said, old boy, couldn't have put it better! Snifters are on me in the Commodore Club. These jean-wearers should be clapped in irons or made to walk the plank"

"Well said, old boy, couldn't have put it better! Snifters are on me in the Commodore Club. These jean-wearers should be clapped in irons or made to walk the plank"

Good on you Slow Foxtrot!

We'll make a formal occasion out of it, dress in our tuxedoes and have the band play a ditty as those jean-wearers take their Atlantic Ocean excursion. Then off to the Commodore Club, second round is on me.

Cruiserking:D

Guest DBP80203

Jeans, penny loafers, and a button down collared shirt is classic daytime wear for this middle-aged baby boomer.

David

in Denver - where fashion standards are much more relaxed.

Penny loafers and button downs???? Are they back again?? I wore those 40 years ago in school!! Sorry...the devil made me say that!

Cruiserking and Slow Foxtrot....may I join you gentlemen in a snifter as well? Ginger ale for me...I'm a cheap date. And at the risk of repeating myself... denim is denim is denim!! $20 or $200...designer brouhaha or not...it's still denim. Then again, for the fashion challenged, dressing like everyone else must be comforting. I'm sorry, but this is a tedious subject that just won't go away! Penny

Whatever the baby boomers want -- history has shown -- they get. It has been that way since they were children!

Not true! Not True!

I simply cannot find a cell phone made these days with a display and keys I can read! And I have BEGGED the vendors for such a thing!

No-o-o! They're going for the ubiquitous and ever-more-important 15- 34 age demographic!

Karie, who is a cellular technician by trade!

We just came Westbound, Southampton to NY on QM2 and I don't think I ever saw anybody wearing jeans anywhere.

Hobbit QM2 May 17th 2006

" Perhaps the passengers had been reading this thread! Cunard should buy us all a round of snifters for keeping up traditional standards. Mine's a double"

"European civilisation is mystified by the above. Perhaps ladymacwilly would elucidate"

True Religion Jeans=TRLG=NASDAQ=ARGH! (Had I sold two months ago I could buy another cruise!) Not like I actually wear the absurdly expensive designer jeans. I was obviously depending on the Brits and the Japanese to buy these total pieces of fluff...;)

Archived