Has anyone used their GPS navigation on their cruise?

I know some will say it's your vacation let the ship go where it may. However, I do think it would be fun to follow our voyage on my laptop GPS.

As I am an early riser I know I will be up and at em early, maybe early enough to track us come into the different ports of call. Some may think this is boring, I however think this would be great to add to the overall fun of the vacation.

So, has anyone else thought of or has brought their GPS navigation on board with them?

It's TOTALLY fun! I was on the 11 night Empress last spring and met up with a CC member who had a portable GPS. I was always asking him where we were! I'm even considering buying one some day, it was that much fun. I love maps and following that kind of stuff.

Yes, I have taken my hand held GPS with me and marked some of the ports for future cruises if I want. To be honest you don't see much on the days at sea, just a screen with a crumb trail if you use that. It is nice to see the speed and heading. Once on a Princess cruise we were able to tell that we were not going to make a port time wise because we knew that we were not maintaining the speed we needed to make it. That evening the Capt annouced we were skipping Aruba. :eek: Good luck and remember that if you don't have a balcony or go up on deck it isn't going to work and sometimes it takes a little time to figure out where you are unless you go through the setup and help it out some.

Drive by post :D

I used mine on my cruise last year down the Amazon on the RSSC Mariner. I got one with both North America and South America maps. I did not use it outside of the Amazon but it was nice checking where we were on the Amazon and what that piece of land was (lots of islands).

I have used mine several times in the past, and observed others (not many) doing the same. I thought it was neat to pass by Cuba, different islands (etc.) and know exactly what city we were passing by and how many miles from the coast we were. Was also nice to track speed as it varied throughout the day. I would mark a "waypoint" and different times during the cruise. Downloaded waypoints into computer when we got home, and it was interesting to see where we were on a map at different times during the cruise. The "maps" and such on the ship and ships TV are nice at the time but not as accurate as the GPS, nor provide any record for fun.

Etrex Legend (small and fits in pocket).

In your room, there's a TV. On the TV, there's a channel that displays a map showing your position. There's your GPS readout. And you don't have to bring ANYTHING - just turn on the TV!

Handheld GPS's do 20 times more than what the TV has on it. I brought my small handheld unit on to the ship and used it when I was on the top deck. No problems with reception there. It was so cool to see where were were, speed, direction, What the island was we were passing by, etc. I also have a eTrex Legend which I just carry in my pocket. I use it on the airplane too. It is always nice to know you are going the right direction. :)

Archived