Almost newbie questions about specialty dining and the culinary centre

Carnevale

We have sailed on Oceania once but it a long time ago and I can’t remember how a couple things work so if anyone here can help me I will greatly appreciate it:

1. How do specialty dining reservations work?  We will be sailing on Vista and the online info for our sailing said we get “free gourmet specialty dining” with our booking confirmation giving a date when reservations can be made. How many can we book? Is there a place online to make reservations? Will everyone be booking them the same day or does it go by stateroom type from highest down? If we can’t get the dates/times we want can we ask to be on a wait list once we’re on board?

2. A combo shore excursion about local food and a hands on cooking class on the ship was a real highlight for us. I think Vista has a culinary centre but I don’t see where I can find out what will be offered and I don’t know how reservations for classes are made.  Can anyone fill me in on this?

Many thanks in advance for info on these questions!

1 hour ago, Carnevale said:

We have sailed on Oceania once but it a long time ago and I can’t remember how a couple things work so if anyone here can help me I will greatly appreciate it:

1. How do specialty dining reservations work?  We will be sailing on Vista and the online info for our sailing said we get “free gourmet specialty dining” with our booking confirmation giving a date when reservations can be made. How many can we book? Is there a place online to make reservations? Will everyone be booking them the same day or does it go by stateroom type from highest down? If we can’t get the dates/times we want can we ask to be on a wait list once we’re on board?

2. A combo shore excursion about local food and a hands on cooking class on the ship was a real highlight for us. I think Vista has a culinary centre but I don’t see where I can find out what will be offered and I don’t know how reservations for classes are made.  Can anyone fill me in on this?

‘Free Gourmet Dining’ is available for everyone.

You can book the number of nights allocated to your grade of cabin.
Bookings are by cabin grade as you suggested.

To book:

Go to website, top left hand corner “My Account/Reservation” press , sign in or create an account. If you cruise doesn’t show on the next page you can add it. Then just press ‘manage this booking’ which appears on the top right hand-side of the booking which will take you to dining reservations etc.

Tours are also available on this page.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Dining - Here is a link you might find helpful:

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360001119853-Managing-Reservations

Sometimes the older FAQs are outdated (e.g., internet info) but I checked these and they looked OK.

Vallesian gave a good rundown of the online account access.

There have been reports on CC that if unhappy with a specific reservation, keep checking availability on your account as sometimes something better pops up. Also check when onboard.

Cooking - There are shorex reservations (including shopping/cooking combo) in one location on your account and stand-alone (no shorex) cooking class reservations in a different location; they will become available at unpredictable times so keep checking as popular cooking classes book quickly (your TA may also provide this service).

• Thanks 1

Cooking classes on board are under "other "category not excursions" can be bought with your onboard credit if you have any.

You should see the number of dining reservations on your docs or on line as you book them.

We are on Vista Jan29-Feb 18 and have them all booked.

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Carnevale said:

...giving a date when reservations can be made. How many can we book?  ....

You can book at 12:00am Eastern Time that morning.  There will be a delay until your web browser figures out that Oceania's computer in Florida has reached 12:00.  Refreshing the webpage in your browser seems to help.

On the Vista, all visits are included in your fare and you are guaranteed at least one visit to each of the four specialty restaurants (Toscana, Polo, Ember, and Red Ginger).  Longer cruises/top suites get more.  Once onboard, you (or your butler) can check at the the Restaurant Reservations Desk each day for a extra (and, yes, freebie) visit that evening.

• Thanks 1