covered balconies

snag

All balconies on deck 9 are completely open, meaning those on higher decks can look down and see what you are up to.😂 Also means no shelter, but honestly neither scenario has ever bothered us in the least and we use the balcony a lot.

Deck 10 are partially covered, so if you want full shelter you should be looking at Deck 11 up.

Tried the Byron suite last time.

Not really for me.

Not the sitting around type - prefer to walk..and walk,,,and walk out in the fresh air on the promenade deck

To pool was good though and fairly empty

But prefer the bigger cabin though

Everyone is different and I respect that.

We love the Byron, great views, not too crowded, comfy seating, et al. We tend to take the stairs a lot, so get plenty of exercise. We also enjoy the Byron 'perks' - breakfast at Angelos, canapes in the cabin most evenings, Nespresso machine in cabin, priority embarkation (and disembarkation), priority tenders. Last cruise we hadn't booked our dining preferences pre cruise and about 5 minutes after boarding and going to our cabin, the maitre 'd was on the cabin phone to discuss our preferences and book us in.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I came on the P&O forum looking for experiences of Encounter's balconies. I think this thread has answered it.

Just to clarify please, are the balconies on 10 lactually arger than 11? Are they deeper? I imagine  they would be the same width die to cabin sizes being the same.

We are looking at booking something but I want a decent balcony.

Not going towards the suites as I refuse when teen kids are with us - they don't  appreciate and I won't  get to enjoy!

On our last Encounter cruise we had a Byron mini and our friends had a balcony on deck 10. The Byron balcony was completely uncovered. Our friends' balcony was partially covered (up near the glass doors) and actually was considerably deeper than our balcony. Same width as ours, but deeper. From memory (sketchy🙄) the balcony was BE category.

Hope this helps with your decision.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

On our last Encounter cruise we had a Byron mini and our friends had a balcony on deck 10. The Byron balcony was completely uncovered. Our friends' balcony was partially covered (up near the glass doors) and actually was considerably deeper than our balcony. Same width as ours, but deeper. From memory (sketchy🙄) the balcony was BE category.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Thank you 😊

Yes very helpful. I will snag a deck 10 balcony. 

Last cruise we were on was on Explorer- the balcony room was cramped inside and out! 

I like to hide on the balcony, morning coffee, afternoon cuppa and a sunset wine.

If you want a fully covered balcony, you need to look at Deck 11 up.

I agree, I like to enjoy morning coffee, etc on my balcony (also coming and going from a port). Can't really 'hide' on a Byron mini balcony but I'm not exactly doing anything that would attract the interest of the balconies above me so I just ignore the fact I can be overlooked. 😂

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 12:49 AM, Mycruiseobsession said:

Thank you 😊

Yes very helpful. I will snag a deck 10 balcony. 

Last cruise we were on was on Explorer- the balcony room was cramped inside and out! 

Yes the balconies on deck 10 are the best.  They are around 3 times the size of the normal ones.  The covered section is the same size as on deck 11 or 12.  If you look upward then the covering/roof is the floor of the balcony above on deck 11.  Private near the door and plenty of space to put the lounge and footstool if you want.

When Princess had these they were BD/BC/BB depending where you were along the side.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2024 at 3:06 PM, Ondine said:

Yes the balconies on deck 10 are the best.  They are around 3 times the size of the normal ones.  The covered section is the same size as on deck 11 or 12.  If you look upward then the covering/roof is the floor of the balcony above on deck 11.  Private near the door and plenty of space to put the lounge and footstool if you want.

When Princess had these they were BD/BC/BB depending where you were along the side.

Thank you, just thought I would let you know that we did end up booking and we chose a deck 10 balcony. Happy days ☺️

• Like 2