Off ship in Amsterdam then Belgium?

We are getting off ship in Amsterdam and want to spend a few days in Belgium(Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge and then Brussels to fly home.

Where would you suggest we stay? Should we stay in one place and train to these as day trips or move around hotels?

It will be in April

any advice is appreciated

The north of Belgium is a relatively small area, well served by trains. If it was me, I'd pick my city, staying there, and using the train to get about. I havent got a recommendation of which city to stay in as, although I've regularly visited the country, I've always stayed in the town of Ieper (my interests havent taken me to even visit the cities)

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

I used to live in Brussels, and I would suggest doing Amsterdam-Brussels, stay 1-2 nights max, with a day trip to Antwerp (1hr) or Leuven (30mins). Then 1-2 nights in Ghent (30mins) with a long day trip to Bruges so you experience it in the evening when it’s quieter. 

But if you want to stay in one place, pick Ghent. It’s a beautiful university city with lots to see and do, and the centre is less chaotic and more walkable.

For tickets, you’ll need an international ticket from Amsterdam, then when you’re at Brussel Zuid station, buy a 10-trip Standard Multi from the ticket office - can be used all over the network as and when you like. https://www.belgiantrain.be/en/tickets-and-railcards/railpass.

If you give me some sense of what you’d like to see I could help with ideas. For example, you might be in Belgium for the 3 weeks when the Royal Palaces are open. If so, I really recommend going! https://www.brussels.be/greenhouses-laeken

• Like 1

Thank u rhiannon84

We will be flying out of Brussels so we will have 3 days after leaving Amsterdam.

so do u suggest we day trip to Antwerp from Brussels 1 day? And then stay in Ghent to see Brugges?

or should be stay in one place and then train to Brussels airport?

would love to see the palaces

Hmm, I suppose it depends on how much luggage you’re travelling with and how confident you are with public transport in a foreign country. The Belgian rail network is great, lots is in English, but everywhere has two names and multiple stations so you do need to know exactly where you’re going or feel comfortable asking.

Do you have 3 full days?

I found Antwerp interesting but not very pretty, BUT it is on the way from Amsterdam.

So if you’re leaving Amsterdam fairly early in the morning I would consider:

Day 1: take the train to Antwerp Central (1h45) leaving luggage in a locker at the station, and then have lunch and walk around (buy a diamond?!) before buying a Multi ticket and getting on the train into Brussels Central (1h00) Check into hotel for 1 night, walk around Grand Place in the evening (most beautiful when dark) and have dinner out.

Day 2: leave luggage at hotel, do 1-2 sights then collect luggage & take train from Brussels Central to Ghent St Pieters (0h30) after lunch. Check into hotel (2 nights) then wander around

Day 3: morning in Ghent, train to Bruges (0h30) for lunch, do the sights and have  dinner before train back to Ghent hotel. (Last train is 11.30pm approx)

Day 4: train from Ghent St Pieters to Brussels-Zaventem airport (1h00).

Alternatively, do Amsterdam-Antwerp-Ghent (you have to change trains in Antwerp regardless), and then use Ghent as the base for all your day trips before going to the airport. Brussels is a fantastic city to live in, but for tourists it’s usually pretty disappointing, so if you drop anywhere make it Brussels. 

There are lots of beautiful medieval town squares and churches with Old Masters in Belgium. There’s also lots of modern and contemporary art/quirky stuff, like Atomium or Wiels in Brussels, Design Museum in Ghent and Fashion museum in Antwerp.

For something more sobering, there’s the African museum in Tervuren (Brussels) which documents Belgian colonial history in the Congo, and the Jewish museum in Mechelen/Malines (25 mins from Brussels) which is in the former deportation centre.

Everywhere has excellent food (French cuisine in German portions!) so the Michelin guide is a good resource to separate the decent restaurants from the tourist traps.