Pairing a different excursion / wandering with a 2.75 hr White Pass Railway tour? (vs. 8 hour Yukon + Rail)?

canyonblue737

Heading on our first alaskan cruise. My 19 year old daughter gets a bit motion sick, but dramamine and the 3 hour train should be fine... I'm wondering if once back in town there is enough to do to wander or do another excursion to fill the day... I've certainly considered the Yukon Adventure + Railway but the 8 hours of train + bus might make for a tough day for my daughter. I also see some suggest that if we have the option when to take the train they recommend later in the day for fog but will stuff be open in the mornings in Skagway (I assume so since its focused on the tourists arriving)?

Thanks, we are on Princess and going the 3rd week of July. Cheers.

If there are ships in port, the shops are open.  There will be around 10,000 other passengers in port that day so it will be busy.  Mornings are better for fewer crowds as most are on tours in the morning.

8 hours ago, Kat915 said:

The museum is small but interesting. There are hikes in the area.

Curious -- "the museum is small but interesting."  Is this a reference to the museum operated by Municipality of Skagway in a building dated from 1899?  The first time I visited it the name was the Trail of '98 Museum.  

The National Park Service through the years as acquired a number of  buildings which are also operated as museums.  Lovely collection.

I am not sure what they call the museum, but it is next to where the rangers are which I believe is the visitor center. Its right next to the train depot.  Has the dog sled, etc. There is a movie in the visitor center. 

Of course, all the buildings in Skagway are interesting and you can get a walking map. Town only a couple of blocks long though.

I have not been to it, but the show of 1898 is supposed to be interesting also.

We did the hikers train service out of Skagway. There are two different places the train will drop you off and you get off and hike. Later the train picks you up. This was such a cool experience and it involves a much shorter train ride plus a hiking break. Highly recommend 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 10:26 AM, beeandkmon said:

We did the hikers train service out of Skagway. There are two different places the train will drop you off and you get off and hike. Later the train picks you up. This was such a cool experience and it involves a much shorter train ride plus a hiking break. Highly recommend 

This sounds fun. Is it an excursion? Can you share more information as tion about scheduling it? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 10:08 PM, Firehunter said:

This sounds fun. Is it an excursion? Can you share more information as tion about scheduling it? Thank you.

We booked it from the railway website. There is a “hikers service” option. We did it on our own and just walked to the train depot. Make sure you arrive early! 

• Like 2