Bringing alcohol on board - please submit cheap drink recipes

My favorite drink is Bacardi Orange and gingerale. It's very tasty. I'm taking a bottle of Bacardi O on my first cruise next month. I still plan on ordering drinks while poolside/at dinner, but I'd like to be able to have a few drinks in my cabin, too.

Thanks for all the good tips!

We are sailing next week on the Sun Princess. Has anyone tried to smuggle alcohol on board? I know wine/champagne is allowed with corkage fees if you bring it to the dining room. Hello Chateau Cardboard! However, we are wanting to try a limited amount of the hard stuff. Also, what about just bringing a case of bottled water if we put a luggage tag on it? Anyone tried this?

One more week! Hooray!

~Michele

-If life gives you lemons, make grape juice. People will wonder how you did it! :)

Malibu Rum and Fruit Punch - which you get 24/7 for free in the dining room. The fruit punch that is! Goes down WAY to easy. I drank my liter I smuggled in 2 days this way (with the help of our next door shipmates!)

The free lemonade with a Stoli vodka is good too, like strawberry.

These sound delicious!

What is a good drink for someone who can have just a small amt. of sugar and NO aspertame (nutrasweet) ???

Splenda and Sweet and Low are fine. Diet 7Up w/ Splenda or any of the Diet Rites (w/ Splenda) are okay. Fruit juice is fine, just can't add sugar.

THANKS!!!

• 5 weeks later...
We mainly have sailed RCCL but anytime we have tried to bring booze back on ship they took it from us. Even at check in at the pier.

We sailed in April. We had 3 rumrunners that arrived just fine. We bought rum and mixers in Key West and just put them in our tote bag. They did not take them. They weren't concealed. It's 50/50 with them and also depends on time of year and where you sail.......:)

My friend and I smuggled liquor on board with no problems a few weeks ago with NCL, vodka, kahlua, and rum. We mixed the vodka and Kahlua with milk for a white russian. ALso used soda and the free OJ that we filled up from the buffet at breakfast in 1 L drink containers. We also purchased a ton of drinks too to mix things up a bit. We then bought more at one of the port stops and I just had them in my jacket, got on no problem. So we had sour apple to make martinis' with and 7 up.

Getting on board with booze was no problem at all, and I heard NCL is quite sticky.

• 2 weeks later...
We got 2 bottles of rum in St. Thomas and brought them back on the ship. They were loose in a yellow plastic bag that the store put them in when we gor them. They went through x-ray with no problem and we took them to our room. We sailed on the Explorer which is RCCL. Next cruise I'm going to try and bring on a bottle or two to mix our own. We're not big drinkers but enjoyed a few while on the ship.

Jennie

Same here Jennie

Weve been cruising carnival for 15yrs and have always carried on before the cruise at in port...x-ray machine and all. Never had a problem.

We to only bring a bottle or two and usally buy a few bottles to take home...nothing over the top. We walk on like everyone else, send stuff through scanner (In Barbados sent my liquier bag through by itself) grab it up and off to the room.

I also patronize the bar from time to time while on my trip but it is nice to make a drink in the room, or whip one up in my plastic container for heading to port.

I have always saved 2 large mouthwash bottles..........we fly in a day or 2 ahead of our cruise [this time we leave on the Triumph on the August 11th but fly into Miami on the 9th].....then I buy a half gallon of my favorite gin or vodka.....fill them up and place one in each suitcase. Plus at any port I stock my pockets with minitures of alcohol and pass right through getting back on ship.....just make sure the minitures are made of plastic........

My newest favorite has been amaretto, vodka and cranberry. You can make it sweeter or not depending on how much amaretto you put in. I found that regular cran juice was too sweet for me so I use cran soda (I use diet for less calories). I drink a bottle of soda precruise and then put the amaretto in it and pack 3 other bottles of soda. Looks almost the same color. Put the vodka in a water bottle. Of course my favorite is a Dirty Banana and I have to buy a couple of those during the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought (to try them out at home first) some of those individual packets of juice dry mixes. I mixed one packet in a bottle of water and added my booze. They are great! And so easy and convenient to use. Now I can have 3 different types of 'juice' mixes to use with rum, vodka on the ship and not have to drink the same old juice throughout the cruise.

They are sold at grocery stores. The flavors I got which are GREAT are: Ice Tea-Peach, Raspberry Lemonade, & Cranberry Apple. The boxes are so small and have 8 packets in them.

We love vodka and Red Bull (I like sugar free) We will be smuggling both in. We also buy drinks, but I do enjoy hangin out in the room having drinks while getting ready for dinner and such:) On our first cruise we smuggled in 2 bottles of vodka and our bar bill was still over 400 dollars, and that was just the 3 day ensenada cruise. I am very much looking forward to my 2nd cruise in december where we will smuggle probably 3 bottles of vodka and at least 3 4packs of redbull:) (one sugar free of course)

Plus Vodka and Redbull is the PERFECT "morning after" remedy! :)

We usually bring vodka in water bottles. You could also smuggle Lt rum in water bottles, and any dark liquor in Lipton Ice tea bottles. You'd be surprised at how much vodka it takes to fill a 6 pack of Deer Park bottles!:p

Just make sure to pack in your checked bag, as the airlines won't let you take these on the plane. Then, on board, take advantage of the free juices, lemonade, fruit punch, etc.

Handsome58 ~ how do you get the mouthwash taste out of the bottle! ugh! :eek:

Where do you put the water bottles when you take them on the ship? Are they packed, in carry on, or are you holding them? Do they check or smell the water bottles in carry on's or in your hand?

Are you allowed to walk onboard with a water bottle?

Thanks!

Well, if I fly in on the day of the cruise, the water bottles are in my checked bag. If I arrive a day or so early - which we usually do - I transfer them to my carry on bag when going to the pier. I've never had the bottles smelled or inspected. Usually, I buy Deer Park in a 6 pack, refill with Vodka, then arrange back in the plastic wrap. Looks like it was never tampered with! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

a friend suggested (she's done it before) getting a big mouthwash bottle and filling it with liquor (after the mouthwash is gone, obviously! :p ). preferably wrapped in a towel/clothes in your checked luggage. she said that even if they do notice it in your stuff, they'll just think it's mouthwash and move on. i'm sure it helps to get the type that is clear so there is no suspicion. i've only been on one cruise so far and was scared to try it, but my mom has been on TONS of cruises (including working on ships for many years) and said she used to bring her own booze on all the time, just be slick and casual and it's usually not an issue. but i guess there is always the risk of getting caught... it's worth it though, drinks onboard are so expensive!

Few Things-

On the Fantasy last year they had cranberry juice free. We mixed it ALOT with our vodka, Jager and Malibu Rum! :)

We usually do a mixture. Pack some alcohol (in water or juice bottles) in our checked bags and also carry some on. I walked on carrying a big 33oz water bottle filled with Tequila. I was praying they didnt want me to drink it or take a sniff of it!! But no problems.

We carried ALOT on last year, and plan to do the same this year. It saves SO much money!

Archived