Iceland Excursions advice

kahuna21

3 minutes ago, travelguy19 said:

Akureyri port - does anyone have any insight into Northern Iceland’s Natural Treasures vs. The Diamond Circle? Both excursions are the same price (and seem to slightly overlap). Thanks!

DC also includes Husavik, an interesting town and the setting for the movie ‘ “Eurovision Song Contest”, recently still available on Netflix. More important it is a center for whale watching,  has a fine Whale Museum, and is the oldest settlement in Iceland. NT consists of some important natural geological sites, Lake Myvatn, Dimmuborgi, etc. DC includes some of these sites as well. Both would be great!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janetcbl said:

DC also includes Husavik, an interesting town and the setting for the movie ‘ “Eurovision Song Contest”, recently still available on Netflix. More important it is a center for whale watching,  has a fine Whale Museum, and is the oldest settlement in Iceland. NT consists of some important natural geological sites, Lake Myvatn, Dimmuborgi, etc. DC includes some of these sites as well. Both would be great!

DC also has Dettifoss, a powerful waterfall that was utilized in the opening scenes of Ridley Scott's 'Prometheus' - this is a planned stop for us on a future Ring Road expedition. 

• Like 1

Thanks to the people who responded to my question about some of the Iceland excursions.  I have booked Lake Myvatn, Hot-Springs & Godafoss Waterfall Tour and the Golden Circle from 3rd party tour companies for about half of the Viking price.  Also, I just noticed that they have the excursion prices now listed on the MVJ web site, but reservations are still not open for us at this time.

Two of the excursions I would have liked are Vigur Island and Skalanes Nature and Heritage Center both of which are either sold out or not available through a 3rd party.  If anyone has any leads for these two, please let me know.

TIA

another question about the diamond circle vs the natural treasures tour. The diamond one is listed as demanding,and when  when i asked my travel agent to ask why it was listed as demanding they said it included extensive hiking at high altitudes, . Has anyone done this? Any idea how extensive the hiking really is? how far and how rocky? I wish viking would have more specifics on their excursion descriptions. thank you!

46 minutes ago, rescuemom said:

another question about the diamond circle vs the natural treasures tour. The diamond one is listed as demanding,and when  when i asked my travel agent to ask why it was listed as demanding they said it included extensive hiking at high altitudes, . Has anyone done this? Any idea how extensive the hiking really is? how far and how rocky? I wish viking would have more specifics on their excursion descriptions. thank you!

You may want to google Diamond Circle. It won’t be the specific Viking version, but it should give you a good idea. One thing I noticed was that the walk to the waterfall for DC was 1 km and somewhat rocky, whereas the NT waterfall is close to where you park. Unfortunately the DC excursion is fairly new to Viking so I haven’t seen many reviews.

• Like 1