Walkie-Talkies on board

twinss

My question is: My sons have Motorola Talkabout T5710 walkie-talkies. I was wondering if they work out at sea. I thought it would be a great way for DH and I to keep in touch when he goes to the cigar bar and I want to soak up some rays!

Thank you

NCL Spirit in 26 days!!!!

We use walkie's when we cruise. My DH has a habit of hiding and this way we can keep in touch. On some of the bigger ships, sometimes we have a bit of a problem reaching each other. Our walkie's have the abbility to use sub channels and this helps to keep conversations private.

We use ours also when we are together in the mall or Sam's or Walmart. Great way to keep in touch.

Louise;)

If need a FCC license or not depends on which low powered walkie talkies (2 way radios) you buy.

GMRS radios are only legal in the USA. They require an FCC license. The license fee is $75 for 5 years. They can have up to 50 Watts of power. Many less than 2 Watts have been introduced.

FRS radios are only legal in the USA and Canada. They can have up to .5 Watts of power.

Using either of these 2 way radios elsewhere is probably against the local laws. If you're planning on using them overseas, check with the local authorities first. Aslo, check with the Captain before using the higher power GMRS radios aboard the ship, as they can interfer with the ship radios.

Here's a good web site for basic information for FRS and GMRS radios

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?guideID=1072288099473&categoryRep=cat06000&type=page&cmp=&id=cat12077#A02

Below are three links to a very popular two way radio fan magazine web site.

http://www.popularwireless.com/gmrscodeoperator.html

http://www.popularwireless.com/gmrsrange.html

http://www.popularwireless.com/gmrsfrswhat.html

You also don't need a FCC license for CB radios anymore. CB Radio operators normally transmit double sideband AM on the first 23 channels. On channels above Channel 23, upper sideband or lower sideband equipment may be used. Four watts of carrier power is allowed for output on AM, and 12 watts of peak envelope power is the maximum power output on SSB. Of couse, CB band radios aren't as portable, or private, as FRS and GMRS radios.

http://home.att.net/~wizardoz/cbmw/fccrules.html

I've never seen anyone have luck with reception. People using them were shouting "are you there?" or "can you hear me?" 15 times. I saw more frustration then success in the communication intent.

You need quality radios. On the last two cruises I was on, they sold them in the ship gift shops. They were cheap and could not transmit through even one deck, basically a waste of money. The brand and model the OP mentions will do ok with a few exceptions. Balcony rooms do better than inside staterooms regarding reception and don't expect much on elevators. They can be very convenient. Just keep in mind others around you may be enjoying some peacefulness at sea, maybe not interested in hearing your endless chatter about nothing. Also not the best item to bring to the dining room on formal night. :eek: They do work if you have a good pair. We have had lots of fun with them, too.

Ry

We spent about $100 for a good pair of walkie-talkies from Motorola. They work great on cruise ships (the only place we have ever used them), but aren't 100% reliable--sometimes I try and "call" DH and he doesn't get the page. We just keep trying and eventually it works. Also, we sometimes pick up other people's conversations, which is just a minor annoyance. We just use them to keep track of each other on sea days and for that they work fine.

2 years ago when we went on the Carnival Miracle my sons used walkie talkie's that weren't cheap but weren't very expensive maybe 50.00. They worked beautiful. I guess we were lucky. Of course high powered walkie talkie will work better, but we had no problems with our $50 walkie talkie.

a walki with sub channels when you buy one. You can then blank out regular calls and only get ones from matching radios.

Louise

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think we will bring them and see if they work. They are good quality ($100), so its worth a shot. It's just for a quick check in with DH, which would be nice to be able to do, especially on sea days.

If you do use them, please please please be considerate of other passengers when using them in public. They can be worse than cell-phones. I was attending a nice Champagne Art Auction on Costa one day when all of the sudden a man started using his walkie-talkie, talk about annoying having to listen to those bleeps and the garbled shouting of whoever was on the other end.....

If you do use them, please please please be considerate of other passengers when using them in public. They can be worse than cell-phones. I was attending a nice Champagne Art Auction on Costa one day when all of the sudden a man started using his walkie-talkie, talk about annoying having to listen to those bleeps and the garbled shouting of whoever was on the other end.....

I hear what you are saying. I have enough common sense to be considerate of others. It would be that we would arrange that at say, 2pm, we would turn on the radios (with volume at lowest possible level) and just a quick check in. Someone else on this thread advised me not to take them into the formal dining room. Would someone give me some credit for knowing proper common sense? I feel like I'm being treated like a child here!

Uh, Breaker One-Nine, this here's the Rubber Duck

You got a copy on me Pig-Pen? C'mon

Uh, yeah 10-4 Pig Pen, fer sure, fer sure

By golly it's clean clear to Flag-Town, C'mon

Uh, yeah, that's a big 10-4 Pig-Pen,

Yeah, we definitely got us the front door good buddy,

Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy

Cheers,

Norman

p.s. Now that brings back the memories of the 70's. :eek:

I hear what you are saying. I have enough common sense to be considerate of others. It would be that we would arrange that at say, 2pm, we would turn on the radios (with volume at lowest possible level) and just a quick check in. Someone else on this thread advised me not to take them into the formal dining room. Would someone give me some credit for knowing proper common sense? I feel like I'm being treated like a child here!

I agree with you! What's with all the preaching and judging? I use walkie talkies to keep in touch with our son on At Sea days. We have a pair that I think cost about $40. I'm not 100% sure because they were a gift. We use them in places where cellphones don't usually work. I love them!

Archived