Cruise timing and stateroom choice?

My family is looking at booking a cruise on the Mardi Gras for June/July 2025. We have 3 kids (13, 7 and 3 at the sailing date). We are stuck between a couple of options and I wanted to ask for input from people who are a little more in-the-know.

#1: We're stuck between booking a family harbor suite vs. 2 connecting interiors. A suite is tempting and we used the family harbor perks quite a bit on the Celebration. However, 2 interiors would give us a second full bathroom. Plus, it's $1200 cheaper and we get double the onboard credits.

Can we prop open the door between the staterooms so that it's always open and everyone can walk freely between the rooms? Am I missing any significant "perks" of staying in a suite? Right now I don't see enough to justify the difference in price.

#2: We're stuck on if we should pay a little more to go in July when the ship is visiting Celebration Key. It would be the second day this port is operating. Obviously we're all just guessing here, but do you think there is a significant chance that the construction gets delayed? If so, we'd miss that port and would rather go on the June sailing. I haven't followed this project very closely, so I'm not sure how concrete the opening date is when we're still a year and a half out.

Thanks!

Edited by ShortCruising
Edit ship name

1. You get priority boarding and tendering with suites and access to the priority line at guest services. You also get to pay more in gratuity despite them not doing anything at all extra.

You can keep the adjoining room doors open all cruise if you wish and make your own suite.

2. Anything is possible. Heaven forbid a storm hits Grand Bahama and delays construction, your cruise is re-routed to Nassau instead, and you paid more for that cruise for nothing. It's also possible, and perhaps more likely, that you'll be one of the first to enjoy Carnival's newest proprietary port of call if you book that cruise. So it's really up to you. I was among the first at Amber Cove on Ecstasy back in the day.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2

Are there any connecting interior Family Harbor rooms where you could split the difference? I love Family Harbor, but for this much savings, I'd want the connecting interiors, especially as a family of 5. The suites aren't really suites in the sense most people think of. They are really just larger rooms.

• Like 3

Once we cruised connecting staterooms, we knew we found a winning setup for future cruises.  As you said two bathrooms and some space to separate was always good.  We kept the connecting interior door open all the time.  We also had the balcony partition opened too when able.  From what I can see on the ship plan, there is only two connecting Family Harbor interior staterooms (4362/4358) but may be incorrect.  

• Like 1

I would take the two interiors all day long if it is cheaper and I certainly wouldn't put much $$$ at risk for the opening of a new port in todays world where delays are commonplace.

• Like 2

I appreciate all the responses. We're going to go with the connecting interiors. No family harbor connecting interiors available, but I think we can do without those amenities. Two bathrooms and the ability to essentially create our own "suite" is all we need. We won't be spending a ton of room in the stateroom anyways. I'm sure the kids will have us very busy at the arcade, pools/splash area, etc.

As for Celebration Key, I think we'll sit out. I was simply thinking of normal construction delays and didn't even account for a hurricane or storms tacking on time. There will be many other cruises in the future where we can experience it. While it would be nice, it's not super important that we are "the first" to experience the port.

• Like 2

Think of it this way OP. There were thousands of folks who 'thought' they would be on the inaugural Sun Princess cruise scheduled for February 8th.......... until yesterday! Think of those plane tickets to and hotels in Barcelona! 🤯

• Like 2