what are these luggage tags??

If you are flying to your embarkation port you cannot attach your cruise tags to your luggage and so must then bring along your packing tape and stapler with you. ( or go to the trouble of borrowing a stapler from a busy hotel desk.) 

These tag holders last forever and can be prepared at home and then kept with your cruise items ready for easy attachment the morning of your cruise.

I have  had two sets for many years. A thin set for Royal/Celebrity and the wider one for Holland/ Norwegian. And like others here, I have given them as gifts to family members when they are cruising for the first time.

When I've flown in on the day of sailing before (not recommended) I put a roll of tape in my luggage front pocket to secure the tags once landed- ended up lending it to around 10 other parties from the same flight who hadn't though through attaching their tags! You don't want to attach them before the flight as they could easily get ripped off.

I now use the luggage tag holders but they aren't necessary, just a bit nicer and convenient to have