I'm not saying don't go, but...

Janutz

Everyone should be aware of what we're doing out there to the eco systems. Belize is in the news this week...and it's not good...but other ports may soon follow...

http://story.venezuelastar.com/p.x/ct/9/id/6b64e63f14aeb3b7/cid/1e6da80e3bfca450/

Sure makes planning your shore excursion a lot more confusing: Do I go before it gets worse? Do I NOT go to help ease the damage? And then back to the old question of do we need to build even BIGGER cruise ships?

Don't go on ship sponsered tours with 5000 people if you do not want to scare the animals and be a trampling heard of cattle.

This is why we always book with smaller...more enviromentally responsible...dive and tour companies....;)

We go with major Tom from Belize Cave Tubing...he is a regular botanist and very careful... or we go small private charter to the reef...

Nice quieter days...low crowds...

I do think it is important to be conservationists and be respectful of our natural resources and protect them.... but this is also my thoughts:

The funny thing is mother nature and hurricanes did more damage down there in the past year than 50,000,000 tourists could have done in 30 years!

And there were millions of Mayans and Incas that ruled over these same jungles for thousands of years...and yet the jungle still remains...and literally at one point they covered the landscape...and what did they do for sewers? Think about it!!!! Be careful where you step! LOL!:eek:

Also....there are ways to see everything responsibly...How many millions of people visit our own National parks here in America every year?

Our national parks are very well looked after...and just as beautiful as they were 40 years ago...

But that said...

There is no way people could have done to the enviroment what Mount Saint Helens did in ONE day.... It's explosion was like 50 atomic bombs....and wiped an entire mountain off the planet!:D

So don't feel bad you are going to Belize....enjoy it....I don't think you can wipe out the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world...the 30 feet of coral you will float over and look down at is a part of a huge* system! Just don't touch it!!!!:)

*Stretching over 625 miles (1,000 Km) or (3,300,000 feet) of coastline, the Mesoamerican Reef (MAR) System is the largest continuous reef in the Western Hemisphere~

Archived