taxi from the New York pier

newhope

My question is - how hard is it get a taxi from the pier?

We will be staying in Secausus the night before the Dawn departs. I can leave my car at the hotel and taxi to pier, no problem. However; the matter of returning to my car in Secausus requires a taxi.

I assume that if there are enough taxis at the pier, it will be no problem.

Are there plenty of taxis at the pier? Or should I just drive into NY, and park at the pier?

We came in on the Spirit on Sunday and it was a breeze to get a cab. We just walked up to the lady who had "taxi" on her jacket and she said we were next. We were approached however by a guy who tried to tell us that FAO Schwarz was closed (we planned to play there for the afternoon). He wanted to take us on a ride around NYC for ONLY $200 in his town car. I THINK NOT! We took the cab and it was very reasonable. From FAO we caught another cab to LGA and it was only $17.00! An all around great experience. We gave the cab driver a nice tip.

We came in on the Spirit on Sunday and it was a breeze to get a cab. We just walked up to the lady who had "taxi" on her jacket and she said we were next. We were approached however by a guy who tried to tell us that FAO Schwarz was closed (we planned to play there for the afternoon). He wanted to take us on a ride around NYC for ONLY $200 in his town car. I THINK NOT! We took the cab and it was very reasonable. From FAO we caught another cab to LGA and it was only $17.00! An all around great experience. We gave the cab driver a nice tip.

What do you do with your luggage while you were shopping at FAO? We have a late afternoon flight and I am trying to figure out what to do. Our luggage is the problem!

Thanks

I emailed FAO and asked if it was possible to leave the luggage there while we shopped. They did agree but I am not sure that it is done that frequently. They were wonderful there and asked that we not leave the store. We played on the floor piano and explored the store for several hours. I used the express check in at the airport and they took the luggage right away plus they put us on standby for an earlier flight. If it was any other time but March Break I believe we would have gotten home earlier.

Two years back, when we and 2,599 other people came off the Grand Princess, it took us an hour or so to get a cab. We needed to get to Penn Station to catch a train. We were some of the last people off, which probably didn't help, and it was a Sunday. The process is well organized, with a "starter" assigning cabs to people in about the order requested. Nevertheless, if you don't have much luggage the suggestion to walk across the street and hail a taxi is a good idea.

Archived