beach ideas??

soweto

How easy is it to get to a beach at the various ports without doing an NCL excursion? We are travelling with a 4yr old and a 6 month old in April for the 10 day E. Carribean and would love to swim in the beautiful waters. We thought it would probably be easier to plan our own excursions with the little ones. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks in Advance:)

Candi

Candi, in general, you should have no problem, unless you're very specific on which beach you want. What ports are you visiting?

Regards.

Enrique

Thanks for your response.

We are visiting St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Maarten and I believe one more, I can't remember right now. Have you visited any of these?

Candi

I've been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten. In St. Thomas, you can go to Magens Beach. What we did is we took the ferry from Red Hook to St. John and a taxi to Honeymoon Beach (in the Caneel Bay hotel), then took the ferry back to Charlotte Amalie.

In St. Maarten, you can take a cab to Philipssburgh and go to the beach there, which will probably be more family friendly that going over to the French side and Orient Bay.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions...

Regards,

Enrique

• 2 weeks later...

We visit Hilton Head in SC every year. When my son was very young we took an inflatable kiddie pool with us. I blew it up and filled it 2-3 inches with water and positioned it under the umbella that we rented on the beach. My son played for hours with no threat of sunburn.

I agree with the above. Magens Bay in St. Thomas was good.

Orient Beach in St. Maarten was great, but there is a significant surf. Our kids were 6 and 2 at the time, and they loved it, but we had to hold on at all times! There was a bar/restaurant with a playground in the sand and in the shade. That was nice.

We did both of these beaches on our own. No problem.

I would just suggest that you do a little research and pick a beach with facilities. Those all but deserted beaches sound great, but when you have little ones, I prefer convenience over pristine!

Have a great time!

I have the beach for you!!

When in St. Maarten, find a cab and tell them you want to go to Le Galion beach, on the French side. It's near the butterfly farm.

When we went, there were 4 ships in port, so at least 8000 people on the island. There were, however, about 6 other people on Le Galion beach.

It's a cove, sheltered by a peninsula, so the waves are pretty non existent, perfect for small kids!!

It's absolute heaven!!!

There's a restaurant and restrooms. You can rent a chair and umbrella.

Here's a link that I found:

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/LeGalion.html

Le Galion beach looks absolutely perfect! Wish I'd known about it, and we wouldn't have considered Orient Beach with a 2 year old! (Although, to be fair, on that cruise we didn't make Aruba and ended up on St. Martin instead, and I had done no research...very much unlike me!)

Thanks - I've added the info to my file in hopes of needing it sometime soon!

Archived