Encouragement needed please...long read

Thank you all so much.

I have not cancelled yet, so that is something! Lol

Some days I am determined to go and am fully on board (pun..haha), but other days I am ' no way... what am I thinking...I will be lonely and depressed.. I am not going!!'

So... another few weeks before final decision (final pay date).

Your comments encourage me 🙂

• Like 3

travelloverontario 

I know how you feel.  I have completed several solo sailings since I lost my husband and I have enjoyed them all.  I leave in a few days and I also felt why am I doing this.  I am feeling that way today but I know I will go and once I get on the ship everything will be good.  Please make sure you do not stay in your cabin all the time.  Go and enjoy

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well...less than 20 days to go and I am still booked!! Lol

I was getting quite excited and still am, but I have a terrible sinus issue that has my ears/tubes very blocked and a lot of pressure in my sinuses. I am currently on antibiotics in case it is a bacterial infection, and on a steroid/antihistamine nasal spray...sorry for TMI..LOL

So....now it comes down to how quickly this clears up.. or IF it will clear up. I have no fever and am not sick...Dr says it  sounds like eustachian  tube disfunction. However due to this I don't want to fly...so I have to find another way home from Boston. There is a bus that goes from Boston to New York to Toronto...so although it will take hours...and is an overnighter, that may be my only choice! I will lose my points/money for the flight I have booked as the cancelation fee is more than the flight cost!!

Anyway...just wanted to give an update...because you were all so very instrumental in me booking... and keeping... this cruise.

I am a little aprehensive but not much. I am very interested in how I will do. Will I be lonely? Will I be sad? Will I love it? Will I regret it? Who knows.... that is why I call this my experiemnt cruise..lol

I just hope my ear tubes cooperate and I actually get to go!!! (I am hoping the salt air may help!)

• Like 1

I am also curious as to how I will eat my meals.(or where )

Will I eat by myself in MDR? Currently I have the first 3 nights booked at a private table. I initially booked a shared table, but I have read that takes much longer to be served, and I don't know if I want to sit with all couples. I thought I would at least dine alone for a night or 2... then see if I meet some friendly cruisemates onboard that I can dine with.

Or... will I prefer the speed of the buffet? Or low key pool bbq? Or room service? 

I have no idea what it may look like for me or what I will enjoy more.

What have you all done?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, travelloverontario said:

Will I eat by myself in MDR? Currently I have the first 3 nights booked at a private table. I initially booked a shared table, but I have read that takes much longer to be served, and I don't know if I want to sit with all couples. I thought I would at least dine alone for a night or 2... then see if I meet some friendly cruisemates onboard that I can dine with.

Or... will I prefer the speed of the buffet? Or low key pool bbq? Or room service? 

What have you all done?

I'm glad to hear that you are still planning to go on your cruise, and I hope your sinus issues clear up before that.

I mainly ate at the buffet (took my food outside to eat), breakfast was always room service, a couple of times I had a quick bite at the International Cafe, and once I had the pizza poolside. I wasn't brave enough to eat in the main dining room by myself, but that is a goal I have for myself on my next cruise. 

Have a great trip, and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, travelloverontario said:

What have you all done?

I've done a mix of all of the above. 

Generally, as a solo traveller, cruise lines will try to seat you with other solos, or a mix, if you're on fixed dining. (And don't forget that you can always discreetly go talk to the maitre'd and ask to be moved to a different table if, after the first night, you're not enjoying the company.) 

The two times I've done fixed shared table dining (as a solo cruiser), it's been with a good mix of people - usually friends travelling together, or other solos, occasionally with a couple mixed in for good measure. (These were on 8-tops.) 

Other times, I've done a table for 2 on my own, but I found that I was less likely to make the effort to get dressed (I sail on Cunard, where there is an evening dress code) if there weren't people waiting for me to join them. 

The above is all for dinner. For breakfast/lunch, I usually eat on my own, either in the buffet or in the MDR (with the occasional room service breakfast as a treat), with my book. That gives me the right level of social interaction. 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing the life journey that brought you to consider a solo cruise and for being so open about the emotional complexity of this process. 

I just booked my first solo cruise and it's comforting to hear that other people have these anxieties about a solo trip. I'm also looking at this as an experiment - testing both a solo trip and how I feel after several sea days to see if might like a crossing cruise with minimal ports.  I chose a 4-night  figuring that's long enough to settle in a bit and get an idea if I wanted more or if I'm dying to get off and go home.

An earlier post mentioned FaceTime - if you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest checking in with the board specific for your cruise line and confirm that their Wi-Fi supports that.  You might also make sure you're set up for Wi-Fi messaging - that might be built in with Apple, but I know on Android it takes some extra setup or even a different app.

I hope you feel better soon and enjoy your trip! You also might be able to get home with Amtrak or the Canadian rail system.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 11:37 PM, Need-a-vacation said:

Thank you for sharing the life journey that brought you to consider a solo cruise and for being so open about the emotional complexity of this process. 

I just booked my first solo cruise and it's comforting to hear that other people have these anxieties about a solo trip. I'm also looking at this as an experiment - testing both a solo trip and how I feel after several sea days to see if might like a crossing cruise with minimal ports.  I chose a 4-night  figuring that's long enough to settle in a bit and get an idea if I wanted more or if I'm dying to get off and go home.

An earlier post mentioned FaceTime - if you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest checking in with the board specific for your cruise line and confirm that their Wi-Fi supports that.  You might also make sure you're set up for Wi-Fi messaging - that might be built in with Apple, but I know on Android it takes some extra setup or even a different app.

I hope you feel better soon and enjoy your trip! You also might be able to get home with Amtrak or the Canadian rail system.

Thank you so much for your thoughts! Appreciate it.

I am going to try to go without wifi. Typically on cruises I never use data or wifi, but for this solo venture my plan was to get wifi for the entire trip. That way I could feel connected the whole time.

But... it is pretty port heavy, and most ports are in  Canada where I can feely use texting, calling and data from my own phone in my home country. I worry that evenings and bedtime may get lonely and I will be at sea,  but I am still hoping to do without wifi. I may buckle though  and due to lonlienss or sadness end up buying the wifi package  For now though, my plan is to try without it.

I can also receive texts for free and send texts for  99 cents each so I can always use that if needed.

• Like 3

@travelloverontario it sounds like you've found a good middle ground. That is one advantage of a port heavy trip - lots of time off the ship to connect with home if you want. 

I kinda went the opposite direction - for me at this particular time, ports are just another set of logistics to figure out, and I have a tendency to wear myself out. I'm trying to go simple this time.  Right now, I see itineraries with 9 ports in 10 days and think "that's a lot of research and deciding to do" 🤣

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Need-a-vacation said:

@travelloverontario it sounds like you've found a good middle ground. That is one advantage of a port heavy trip - lots of time off the ship to connect with home if you want. 

I kinda went the opposite direction - for me at this particular time, ports are just another set of logistics to figure out, and I have a tendency to wear myself out. I'm trying to go simple this time.  Right now, I see itineraries with 9 ports in 10 days and think "that's a lot of research and deciding to do" 🤣

Well I do get what you are saying.  It is a lot of ports. I have been to almost all of them on land vacations and am familiar with the areas so that helps. I also do not plan to be gone all day. I am thinking...lazy morning on the ship, a few hours (even 2 or 3) to walk around on land and explore...then casually back on the ship.

And...I can still use my phone, text and data while on the ship providing it is still close to shore!

Like I said... all an experiement!!!

• Like 1

Took my first solo cruise last January nearly a year after my husband of 47 years passed away. I flew my mom to Tampa so that she could visit some friends who winter there, and decided that it was time to try a cruise on my own. Had done one with my grandson and one with my daughter, so this was going to be my third cruise without my husband. I purposely chose NCL for their solo program and went to the solo meet up nightly. Met others there to have meals with and it also was a way to meet others that I would run into on shore excursions (felt more comfortable booking an excursion than doing on my own) and other activities throughout the cruise. I loved it. Yes there were things that I wished I could share with others, but I figured I'm still young and I was not interested in just sitting in my house by myself - I needed to get out there.

Loved it so much I scheduled solo again for this January.  I don't always do solo, go with family when it works, but they have their own lives. Take the time for yourself. Sometimes a change of scenery is what we need.

For me, the bigger issue is the flying and hotel stays on my own. I know I'll be fine, but taking those first steps are a bit scary.

Not everything will be the way it was, but you can still enjoy yourself.

• Like 6

Thank you for sharing your story. I just saw it today so sorry to be behind times! 

I was my mother's caregiver and twice a year my sister would come to town to watch my Mom so I could get a break. Spring 2023 I took my first solo cruise after many cruises with others, and I absolutely loved it. I was on NCL so I enjoyed that their cozy studio cabins were in a secure part of the ship, I liked the solo lounge where there were treats and an amazing cappuccino maker 24/7, and there was a dedicated host for single meetups. After the nightly get together (play a little ice breaker game or two) the solo host then brought everyone who wanted to, to dine together at several large tables. And on to a dedicated part of the theater, if people wanted. I don't think Princess has this exact system but they do have a solo meetup the first evening, so try to go to that if you can, just to get the lay of the land.

I did go to a couple of the solo meetups, and it was fun to meet a few people there, but personally, even though I can strike up a conversation with almost anyone, anywhere, I always hated the enforced camaraderie of dining with strangers! (Even though we met some lovely people over the years on cruises, others were stinkers LOL.) So I was very glad with the advent of My Time Dining on most lines and now just have a table for myself and whoever I'm cruising with!

Like you, I went ahead on my solo cruise and made advanced reservations at one of their MDRs almost every night. It gave me a reason to get dressed up a little (even just a pretty sundress) and I showed up at the Maitre' D's podium with my book in hand and if they said "Just one?" I would flash my book and say "I brought a date!"  Anyway, twice they looked at me, looked at my dress, looked back at their book and very purposefully led me to a beautiful two top right by the window! Sometimes I read between courses, sometimes I looked around (I like to people watch), sometimes I concentrated on the lovely food.

Breakfast was always in the buffet because I'm not a big morning eater, and lunch was either in the MDR (book), buffet (book), or in port (possibly no book).  I'm a big reader and I'm here to tell you I read FOUR BOOKS in my week cruise. I brought three, but had to hit up the ship's library the last day or two for a final one. Soooooooo relaxing.

To me, it's bliss to sit on deck and look at the waves - or find whatever nightclub in the back of the ship shows the fantail through the window and sit there!  (But don't think those waves are calling you. From any deck on a cruise ship, it's more like cement. However, I know you will have chased those intrusive thoughts away by your sail date - and concentrate only on all the good you've done for others, and allow yourself to heal!)

I also don't use internet onboard. It's good to get away from 24/7 news and contact. Sounds like you have a happy medium with your ports (and I bet your ENT problems are sorted out by the end of your cruise!)  But I wanted to offer a tip that I enjoyed immensely on my cruise: I brought a tablet (didn't have one, got a cheap one for this purpose) and I downloaded movies and TV shows I'd been meaning to watch from Netflix and Amazon Prime to my tablet. (You can't keep them forever, but you want watch them without using the internet.) I would sometimes sit up at night on the top deck in a comfy chair, headphones on, and watch movies under the stars. It was heaven!

I predict you will be so busy touring, eating, sleeping wonderfully etc to be lonely even for a moment - but if you do, just snap a few more photos and think about how much you'll enjoy sharing them with your family when you get home! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Travelgrrl said:

Thank you for sharing your story. I just saw it today so sorry to be behind times! 

I was my mother's caregiver and twice a year my sister would come to town to watch my Mom so I could get a break. Spring 2023 I took my first solo cruise after many cruises with others, and I absolutely loved it. I was on NCL so I enjoyed that their cozy studio cabins were in a secure part of the ship, I liked the solo lounge where there were treats and an amazing cappuccino maker 24/7, and there was a dedicated host for single meetups. After the nightly get together (play a little ice breaker game or two) the solo host then brought everyone who wanted to, to dine together at several large tables. And on to a dedicated part of the theater, if people wanted. I don't think Princess has this exact system but they do have a solo meetup the first evening, so try to go to that if you can, just to get the lay of the land.

I did go to a couple of the solo meetups, and it was fun to meet a few people there, but personally, even though I can strike up a conversation with almost anyone, anywhere, I always hated the enforced camaraderie of dining with strangers! (Even though we met some lovely people over the years on cruises, others were stinkers LOL.) So I was very glad with the advent of My Time Dining on most lines and now just have a table for myself and whoever I'm cruising with!

Like you, I went ahead on my solo cruise and made advanced reservations at one of their MDRs almost every night. It gave me a reason to get dressed up a little (even just a pretty sundress) and I showed up at the Maitre' D's podium with my book in hand and if they said "Just one?" I would flash my book and say "I brought a date!"  Anyway, twice they looked at me, looked at my dress, looked back at their book and very purposefully led me to a beautiful two top right by the window! Sometimes I read between courses, sometimes I looked around (I like to people watch), sometimes I concentrated on the lovely food.

Breakfast was always in the buffet because I'm not a big morning eater, and lunch was either in the MDR (book), buffet (book), or in port (possibly no book).  I'm a big reader and I'm here to tell you I read FOUR BOOKS in my week cruise. I brought three, but had to hit up the ship's library the last day or two for a final one. Soooooooo relaxing.

To me, it's bliss to sit on deck and look at the waves - or find whatever nightclub in the back of the ship shows the fantail through the window and sit there!  (But don't think those waves are calling you. From any deck on a cruise ship, it's more like cement. However, I know you will have chased those intrusive thoughts away by your sail date - and concentrate only on all the good you've done for others, and allow yourself to heal!)

I also don't use internet onboard. It's good to get away from 24/7 news and contact. Sounds like you have a happy medium with your ports (and I bet your ENT problems are sorted out by the end of your cruise!)  But I wanted to offer a tip that I enjoyed immensely on my cruise: I brought a tablet (didn't have one, got a cheap one for this purpose) and I downloaded movies and TV shows I'd been meaning to watch from Netflix and Amazon Prime to my tablet. (You can't keep them forever, but you want watch them without using the internet.) I would sometimes sit up at night on the top deck in a comfy chair, headphones on, and watch movies under the stars. It was heaven!

I predict you will be so busy touring, eating, sleeping wonderfully etc to be lonely even for a moment - but if you do, just snap a few more photos and think about how much you'll enjoy sharing them with your family when you get home! 

Wow...thank you so much for this!!

It is kind of just what I needed today. A close girlfriend of mine is living her last couple of days...just found out today. We knew she was sick (cancer), but did not realize how quickly she declined. She lives over 6 hours away and is now incoherent, so I will not be able to talk to her again 😞

Her family and my family did a cruise together several years ago... and while she was sick she kept telling me 'once I get better we will take another cruise...just us girls'. Of course that will not happen.

So...biggest blow is the loss of my son 2 years ago (cancer)... my spouse having brain cancer... and my good friend currently on her last days. Just a note..I also lost my mother to cancer when she was 41 and I was a kid...and my father to cancer (although he was 79).

Anyway... I am SO sick of hearing that word !!!

I am very much looking forward to being in a 'different world' for a few days. And you are right..take videos and pictures to show my kids when I get back, but be off social media and all of the bad news!! I can also call them while at port.

Thank you for being so supportive. Thank you everyone who has replied...it is more appreciated than you know!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jaynay said:

I can't wait for you to come back here and update us after your cruise 😀

I am currently ON my cruise!!!

I am doing it ❤

I will report back after the cruise...  but for now... I am really enjoying it and so glad I came.

I have met a couple of other solo ladies and am also enjoying my alone and independent time 🙂 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, travelloverontario said:

I am currently ON my cruise!!!

I am doing it ❤

I will report back after the cruise...  but for now... I am really enjoying it and so glad I came.

I have met a couple of other solo ladies and am also enjoying my alone and independent time 🙂 

Yeah! This is great!  I look forward to hearing more after your cruise.