How bad is rocking on the Elation

rick&lin

Having been on that class of ship 3 times at that time of year - your issue isn't the ship... its how big the hurricane is you are sailing away from!

In normal weather, no sweat. If there is a storm that you have to "maneuver" around, hold on. Our second cruise reversed the itinerary to avoid a storm but it didn't help much. The storm slowed and basically we followed it home. They couldn't keep up with the carpet cleaning on the way back with the number of people getting sick.

I'm sure you got a good rate at that time of year - best of luck!

Traveling that time of year can put new meaning to the saying "Its not the size of the ship, but the motion of the ocean, that matters" ;)

I can vouch for that! Was on the Sensation in the middle of a bad storm on this same type of ship. People were getting sick everywhere. We will be on the Elation in May - pretty sure no hurricanes or big storms at this time of year. I am sure your cruise will be wonderful, don't sweat it.

Well, the weather thing makes perfect sense. You would expect more rocking on rough seas. I would like to ask though, is the Elation more prone to rocking than other ships of her class? I have heard it called a 'rocky' ship, as if to say it lacked the same stabilizers, etc... that other ships have. Is this true?

Also, does Walmart sell ginger capsules?

Having been on that class of ship 3 times at that time of year - your issue isn't the ship... its how big the hurricane is you are sailing away from!

In normal weather, no sweat. If there is a storm that you have to "maneuver" around, hold on. Our second cruise reversed the itinerary to avoid a storm but it didn't help much. The storm slowed and basically we followed it home. They couldn't keep up with the carpet cleaning on the way back with the number of people getting sick.

I'm sure you got a good rate at that time of year - best of luck!

Traveling that time of year can put new meaning to the saying "Its not the size of the ship, but the motion of the ocean, that matters" ;)

triumph

I've been on Celebration, Elation and Conquest. I found that weather has everything to do with the movement of the ship. Elation was no more or less "rocky" than Conquest was and the weather was comparable. On Celebration the ride was smooth as silk, but there was no wind and the seas were flat.

I was on the Elation in Oct 2003 and only noticed any significant movement on (I think) one night. We were in Duke's Piano Bar before dinner and I was noticing something that didn't seem quite right but couldn't put my finger on it. It was just weird. Then, when I actually stopped my mind from wandering and focused on what it was, I realized that the ship was moving JUST SLIGHTLY. Having never been on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean before it just didn't occur to me until I actually thought about it. It was like you could feel the ship making tiny little bounces as it hit waves, but not enough that you would get sick or anything (I don't think). It was a rather strange experience actually and sort of interesting.

Then later at dinner I noticed it again but again, nothing to interfere with anything going on at the table. Just a sort of interesting thing in the back of your mind that makes you think to yourself, "Oh yeah, I'm on a ship..." I'd say as long as the weather cooperates with you, you should be fine.

We were on the Elation in last month. The first half of the cruise there was slight rocking (which I find there is on all ships at some time- it just depends on how sensitive you are to it). The last day IT ROCKED! The winds were quite strong and you could see not just little whitecaps but SWELLS in the ocean. It all depends on weather, wind, etc. If you are prone to motion sickness, bring something along to curb it.

I was just on the Elation last week, Saturday-Thursday. The first and the last days out were very rocky. The rest of the days were very smooth. The weather was great the entire cruise but it was very windy. We thought maybe it was just that part of the gulf.

The Elation is the only ship I have ever been on & this was a concern for me also. To me, it wasn't rocky at all. There were times when we were in Tiffany's eating & I noticed that I could see we were rocking because the horizon was at the same level as the railing on deck, but I couldn't feel it.My DIL got a little queasy on the second day & we put a patch on her. She felt better the rest of the trip though. We didn't know about any of the other remedies at that time. We are going equipped with our Ginger Root Pills this time.

You are gonna love the Elation. It's a beautiful,well maintained ship. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Archived