New Cruise Critic articles for mobility device users

• Administrators

Hi, all!  Cruise Critic has just published two articles about mobility device users who cruise.  Hopefully these will be informative and useful to members.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/what-s-it-like-cruising-mobility-scooter

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/10-top-tips-cruising-wheelchair-mobility-scooter

• Like 2

I am going on NCL JOY on3/30/24. Scootaround no longer honors USCRUISE or any other discount $260

(-$10 for repeat customers)for 7 nt cruise.They have a Kiosk inside NCL terminal @Port of Miami so you can pick up scooter and not need wheelchair to get on/Off ship.  Or use Special Needs at Sea for $195.  For

CELEBRITY both companies supply 

scooter in cabin $195 vs $260. 

21 hours ago, metravelling said:

I am going on NCL JOY on3/30/24. Scootaround no longer honors USCRUISE or any other discount $260 (-$10 for repeat customers)for 7 nt cruise. They have a Kiosk inside NCL terminal @Port of Miami so you can pick up scooter and not need wheelchair to get on/Off ship.  

Quite the change since November 2022 when we cruised out of Miami on NCL.  I did get the discount and they delivered to the cabin so had to try to find wheelchair assistance (which was hard to find).

• 4 months later...

My wife and I are going on a Mediterranean cruise next year, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using mobility scooters. My wife has trouble walking for long distances due to two knee replacements. The mobility scooters that the cruise line (NCL) recommends are very big and bulky and don't really fold up at all. So I'm wondering how you handle it if you have to get up on a bus or in a cab.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can rent or buy very small, compact and foldable scooter? I'll even buy it here if I have to and just take it over there with us

DW and I have travelled several times to/from Europe with her scooter. She uses a Drive Spitfire 4 wheel scooter. Very sturdy and reliable. However, her scooter doesn't fold. It is possible to break it down into several smaller components. Tour busses and excursions are very seldom able to accommodate her scooter. We usually hire taxi's to do our own excursions in port. Many taxi drivers are hesitant, but usually comply when I show them I can disassemble and store the scooter within the trunk of most sedans. 

The only problem you may experience with this type of scooter is entering/exiting your ship cabin. We always book an accessible cabin for the wider door (plus roll-in shower)  

When you are trying to decide on which scooter, mobility device will work best for your needs, be certain to check that the mobility device you choose is airline compliant. Airlines restrict the battery type and weight limits on the scooters. 

If you find a foldable device that meets your needs, share the info because many could benefit from your experience.

Good luck and best wishes 

• Thanks 1

Instead of a scooter I suggest a motorized wheelchair.  They are more maneuverable & some are very compact.  Look for a folding one.  I suggest you go to a mobility store & see the variety they sell.  If possible go to more than one as there are many options out there.  I hope you find one you like & that works for you.