Princess hop on hop off with transfer to yvr luggage questions

I have some questions about what happens with the luggage on princess vancouver post ship excursion and headed back to the yvr airport.  I am thinking about doing the hop on hop off tour.  

1. Do I need to put my bags outside the cabin for princess to pick up the night before we get off the ship or can we still walk them off the ship with us and drop them off somewhere before we do the hop on hop off.

2. Once we are done with the hop bus, it says the transfer back to yvr airport is via train and we can collect our luggage between 3 and 11 at the airport.  My question would be where at the yvr airport would princess have our luggage for us to collect?

Thanks,

David 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, DAVID 212 said:

I have some questions about what happens with the luggage on princess vancouver post ship excursion and headed back to the yvr airport.  I am thinking about doing the hop on hop off tour.  

1. Do I need to put my bags outside the cabin for princess to pick up the night before we get off the ship or can we still walk them off the ship with us and drop them off somewhere before we do the hop on hop off.

2. Once we are done with the hop bus, it says the transfer back to yvr airport is via train and we can collect our luggage between 3 and 11 at the airport.  My question would be where at the yvr airport would princess have our luggage for us to collect?

Thanks,

David 

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

You are way ahead of when the information will be provided.  Princess will tell you exactly what to do with your luggage the last day of your cruise. 

Air the airport they will have it in a secure area where you can pick it up.  Where at the airport would depend on what airline you are using.  Domestic and International flights would have different pickup points. 

Again, they will tell you where at YVR likely the day before your cruise.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

13 hours ago, DAVID 212 said:

... I am thinking about doing the hop on hop off tour. 

By all means ride the HOHO, but be aware that this is a massively overpriced package which you can buy individual parts of easily and save buckets of cash by doing so...

Even without any discounts - which are frequently available online, and worst-case you can literally pick up a flyer with a discount code on at the tourist office just downt the street from the pier - the HOHO 'rack rate' price is CAD$65. Riding SkyTrain to the airport is at most CAD$4.55pp (go after 6:30pm weekdays, or any time on weekends, and that drops to $3.15 - Seniors and kids pay about a buck less per ticket), and you don't even have to use a ticket machine any more... simply tap a Smartphone with wallet enabled or a Visa/MC with the NFC chip to open the gates, do the same when you leave, and the system even does the math for you for the fare price based on day/time traveled!

The only component you cannot replicate these days is moving your bag - but if the markup remains the same this season as in the past, with adult rates of approx. US$80pp, that gives you at least CAD$37pp to pay for storing a bag for the day downtown (no more than $10 per bag) and could be $50pp if you buy the HOHO at a discount. If you really cannot manage to roll your suitcase around at all - as in you always get a porter at the airport and pier - then going DIY won't work, but for anyone capable of rolling their own bags around an airport you can absolutely manage the very short distance involved getting to SkyTrain from the pier (about 400 yards).

If there's two of you, the savings would buy you a cheap lunch AND cab fare to the airport instead of taking the train (expect to pay under CAD$40 unless you're traveling in rush hour). Plus, you won't have to go anywhere to find your bags in an unfamiliar airport!

19 hours ago, martincath said:

By all means ride the HOHO, but be aware that this is a massively overpriced package which you can buy individual parts of easily and save buckets of cash by doing so...

Even without any discounts - which are frequently available online, and worst-case you can literally pick up a flyer with a discount code on at the tourist office just downt the street from the pier - the HOHO 'rack rate' price is CAD$65. Riding SkyTrain to the airport is at most CAD$4.55pp (go after 6:30pm weekdays, or any time on weekends, and that drops to $3.15 - Seniors and kids pay about a buck less per ticket), and you don't even have to use a ticket machine any more... simply tap a Smartphone with wallet enabled or a Visa/MC with the NFC chip to open the gates, do the same when you leave, and the system even does the math for you for the fare price based on day/time traveled!

The only component you cannot replicate these days is moving your bag - but if the markup remains the same this season as in the past, with adult rates of approx. US$80pp, that gives you at least CAD$37pp to pay for storing a bag for the day downtown (no more than $10 per bag) and could be $50pp if you buy the HOHO at a discount. If you really cannot manage to roll your suitcase around at all - as in you always get a porter at the airport and pier - then going DIY won't work, but for anyone capable of rolling their own bags around an airport you can absolutely manage the very short distance involved getting to SkyTrain from the pier (about 400 yards).

If there's two of you, the savings would buy you a cheap lunch AND cab fare to the airport instead of taking the train (expect to pay under CAD$40 unless you're traveling in rush hour). Plus, you won't have to go anywhere to find your bags in an unfamiliar airport!

Hi, 

where can you store your bags in Vancouver? We have a cruise booked for June and don’t fly home until 7pm, we have not decided when we have disembarked so any advice on luggage storage is appreciated.

we are flying in a couple of days pre cruise so will have done some exploring before 😊

1 hour ago, Dwaff85 said:

Hi, 

where can you store your bags in Vancouver? We have a cruise booked for June and don’t fly home until 7pm, we have not decided when we have disembarked so any advice on luggage storage is appreciated.

we are flying in a couple of days pre cruise so will have done some exploring before 😊

If you don't want to book something in advance, the Pan Pacific hotel right above the pier holds bags ($10ea last year, accepts non-guest clients); with your flight time the overpriced official pier storage also works ($13 last year; but reduced price if you book a tour through WestCoast - who run the HOHO as well as various coach tours) as you would need to collect them again by 4pm to get out to YVR (the worst thing about the pier storage is that they shut down at 4:30pm, so it's both the most expensive in the city and craptastic for anyone with a real redeye!) If you are considering a bus tour on your last day though, the price becomes reasonable and the hours work fine for a 7pm flight.

Various local establishments have also signed up with online services like Bounce, Luggage Hero etc. - just google "baggage storage in vancouver BC" and a long list will appear - with prices from about $6 up. Some are limited hours, some are 24/7, some give exact locations in advance and others only an approximate location until booked (like AirBnB etc.) Being local, I've never had to use any local storage so I cannot give a qualitative comparison of the options - but personally I'd only book one that I can see exactly where it is, and the hours operated, before payment!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dwaff85 said:

...don’t fly home until 7pm,...

Just struck me now, sorry, could have added to the first reply - but if you're flying directly back to the UK (or via a European layover airport, just not an American one) you'll be able to eat a pre-flight meal at Salmon'n'Bannock. Their airport location is post-security in the International departures area, unavailable to all the domestic and US travelers - and in theory the prices are the same as the regular resto downtown. Given your awkward timing - you need to leave downtown by no later than ~5:15pm to be able to check your bags - unless you sit down to dinner at 4pm it's either terrible plane food or dine at YVR pre-flight or you!

The original resto has a wider menu of course, but it's outside the usual touristy areas visited so involves a cab or bus ride or a rather lengthy walk from most hotels - so the airport location may be a lot more convenient and it's not a bad cross-section of the their usual fare, with both Elk and Bison options as well as of course salmon dishes (if you're familiar with Scottish Bannocks, the local versions are lighter and fluffier - similar to scone mix but made with oil instead of butter).

• Like 1