No Info From Princess Yet on Future Star Cruises

custompcsys

From what I've read, Princess isn't offering 25% off a future cruise. Its offering a credit of 25% of the price paid on this cruise. That's definitely a difference. They used to offer a percentage off the price of the next cruise. This offer instead is a set dollar amount, arrived at by applying a percentage of the cost paid for this cruise.

In almost all cases it will turn out to be a less generous offer. Its the first time I've heard of the credit being calculated this way.

I feel horrible for the people who've had their vacations ended this way. It casts a pall on the whole vacation, regardless of the fact that it was 2/3 over at the time.

I also wish Princess would make a (realistic) pronouncement about the next month's sailings, sooner rather than later. I understand they are trying to protect their bottom line, but I strongly doubt they will get the ship back up before the European sailings (if that soon). There are many people who work and plan "one big vacation" a year. Its unkind to keep them hanging for sake of the bottom line. That's not saying that Princess should do it before evaluating the situation, but it should happen by midweek at the latest, IMHO.

M.

My 2 cents:

They can cut a ship in half and add a whole new section to it in a month or so.

Since the damage seems to be isolated to 100+ room, they could feasibly continue with cruises eliminating those rooms while they wait for parts which will probable be the longest lead time.

Lou

True, but they had months and months to prep/design/fabricate before the ship went into drydock. What Princess is dealing with here is the fact that this is an unexpected event. They are not prepared for this at all. Some have stated they can take pods from another ship being built, but that just throws off a schedule on a newer ship.

If I had a cruise booked in April on the Star I would make other plans in the city the cruise was due to depart from. Lots of nice places in The Keys etc. This way you have a backup if cruise gets cancelled (which I would bet ALL of April's cruise would be).

You have to protect yourself in this situation. Princess effectivlely has a free option. They can wait till the last minute to decide what to do with you. They have you on the hook and they know it.

To those of you booked in April I feel so badly for all of you. Being in limbo totally stinks. There are things you can be proactive about to protect your vacation. As the saying goes "adapt, improvise and overcome." Search out hotels and things to do in Florida as a back-up.

I wish you all good luck.

1) They were entering the fifth day of their cruise.

2) They got to enjoy four days on a great vessel.

3) Though the mustering experience must have been unpleasant, many would consider the experience to have been somewhat exciting. Call me crazy, but I read with envy the accounts of the recent "Quick Turn Incident", wishing I had been there to experience that. The passengers were truly in no great danger, but the experience was once in a lifetime. As a frequent past cruiser, some of the things I remember the most are those few things that didn't go extremely smoothly. Good or bad, they were undeniably memorable, while I have to go to the pictures to remember the uneventful ones. Obviously, different folks have different tastes when it comes to adventure, but I'll bet I'm not the only one that secretly wishes he had been on one of these infamous cruises ... within reason of course.

4) The passengers were put up in hotels in resort areas of Jamaica like Negrille. I've spent substantive time in Negrille at Teawater Cottages and worse things could happen to you.

5) Expenses were paid for all displaced passengers and homeward travel arrangements were made.

6) If Princess finds themselves too financially damaged by this affair, quality on future cruises could be affected (and yes, I realize the size of the company and that this is likely a small drop in a rather massive bucket). These folks receive a FULL refund to apply to their next cruise if they so wish, and the 25% discount affords them the opportunity to possibily upgrade their next cruise experience, or at the very least, allows for one heck of a room credit. That's just how I seas it.

I got an e-mail back from my TA who indicated that Princess will be assessing the damage over the weekend and will have a press release "Monday or Tuesday" regarding the Star's future schedule. I guess we'll have to wonder over the weekend!

3) Though the mustering experience must have been unpleasant, many would consider the experience to have been somewhat exciting.

You call the mustering experience as "unpleasant". I would have to disagree with you there. You are woken up at 3am to fire alarms you have no idea what is going on. You smell smoke........There are 2 people seriously injured, I doubt they would call their experience "unpleasant".

I was at The Niko Hotel in Los Angeles during the 1994 Northridge Quake. Prior to that I would have counted myself as a thrill seeker and thinking I would have enjoyed the adventure somewhat. Believe me it was terrifying. Ever since then I count doors to emergency exits, I count seatbacks to exit rows and I always have a backup exit plan because you never know when disaster will strike.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the exciting, but I think you are quite mis-informed.

1) They were entering the fifth day of their cruise.

2) They got to enjoy four days on a great vessel.

3) Though the mustering experience must have been unpleasant, many would consider the experience to have been somewhat exciting. Call me crazy, but I read with envy the accounts of the recent "Quick Turn Incident", wishing I had been there to experience that. The passengers were truly in no great danger, but the experience was once in a lifetime. As a frequent past cruiser, some of the things I remember the most are those few things that didn't go extremely smoothly. Good or bad, they were undeniably memorable, while I have to go to the pictures to remember the uneventful ones. Obviously, different folks have different tastes when it comes to adventure, but I'll bet I'm not the only one that secretly wishes he had been on one of these infamous cruises ... within reason of course.

4) The passengers were put up in hotels in resort areas of Jamaica like Negrille. I've spent substantive time in Negrille at Teawater Cottages and worse things could happen to you.

5) Expenses were paid for all displaced passengers and homeward travel arrangements were made.

6) If Princess finds themselves too financially damaged by this affair, quality on future cruises could be affected (and yes, I realize the size of the company and that this is likely a small drop in a rather massive bucket). These folks receive a FULL refund to apply to their next cruise if they so wish, and the 25% discount affords them the opportunity to possibily upgrade their next cruise experience, or at the very least, allows for one heck of a room credit. That's just how I seas it.

Let's not forget that someone lost their life on this cruise.

I got an e-mail back from my TA who indicated that Princess will be assessing the damage over the weekend and will have a press release "Monday or Tuesday" regarding the Star's future schedule. I guess we'll have to wonder over the weekend!

I understand your concern, but better to wonder over the weekend than to have Princess prematurely announce their decision and be wrong (whether that decision be that your cruise will take place or be cancelled). Furthermore, the decision may not be totally in their hands. The various authorities who will be investigating the fire will have some say as to when the ship is cleared to be repaired or be returned to service.

Archived