A thank you to the board and a shout-out to Carson's Stingray City Tours

Scherb

We got back from our first cruise yesterday and I wanted to thank this board for all the help we got. Our five-day trip on the Inspiration was great, but especially our visit to Sting Ray City. We decided not to book through Carnival and, based on some advice we got on this baord, just took our chances at the dock. We're glad we did. We simply got off the tender, looked around and spotted a smiling woman holding a sign for Carson's, who said the next group was about to leave (it was 9:15 a.m.). We handed her $40 each - no credit cards accepted - and soon we were following her to a small bus that took us to another dock about five minutes away. After a few minutes waiting at the dock a small boat pulled up, we all loaded on board and within a half hour we were in the water and playing with sting rays. There were several other boats there, too, including a big boat from Carnival, but our group seemed to be having a lot more fun. There were fewer than 20 of us and we all had our photos taken by group (there were 4 in our group) posing with stingrays. After a half hour there we headed off to snorkel at a coral reef. Beautiful coral and a lot of fish! We paid $55 - cash again - for a CD of our photos (about 25 photos in all) that they will mail to us in a couple weeks. They had free water and sodas on board and the crew couldn't have been friendlier. I had found a conch while I was snorkeling and was tempted to take it but decided to let it be. But when I got back on board one of the crew members had taken a few conchs and was cleaning them. He gave me one of them to take home, along with some advice for cleaning (still gotta do that!). Anyway, it was the highlight of the trip - and we almost overslept and missed it! Glad we didn't. We paid about half what Carnival charged and got to snorkel as well as swim with stingrays. The night before a Carnival rep at the purser's desk told us not to try an independent operator because we might not get back in time. I supposed that's possible, but we not only got back a few minutes before the last tender supposedly left, we had to stand in line for a half-hour for that supposedly last tender. Anyway, thanks again for all the help on this board and thanks to Carson's for a great experience!

What "port" where you in?

I understand both sides. We had a wonderful and inexpensive glass bottom boat ride in CABO years ago. Much more fun then the tenders the Carnival people went on. I guess you take your chances?

• 11 months later...

From: The management and staff of Carson's Stingray City Tours:

We just want to say "Thank You" to you also and we are glad to know that you had a enjoyable time with us. We always make sure that you get value for your dollar when you are cruising with us. We know the importance of having a wonderful time when you are on vacation. We would like for you to join us again and anyone else vacationing on a cruiseship or at a hotel or condo facility & even our locals feel free to come and join us. If you would like further information on our tours feel free to log on to our website: carsonstingraycitytours.com. See you soon!

Enjoy your vacation!

Management.

Archived