There *is* a cruise line with no smoking policies

YYC F/A

Have I? or course. I have: 2 clients that just did SeaDream last NOvember, another couple did Radisson SEvern Seas last year and several doing Radisson this year. Yesterday I booked 3 SeaDream cabins for Europe this summer. I could continue this, but you certainly get the picture. All inclusive or not they are much more expensive. I am certainly not knocking them, but if you really believe the average family or even couple can handle the prices you are out there somewhere. All inclusive or not, they still run 50 to 100% more than mass marketed lines. Most people do not run up tabs that double the cost of their cruise while on board. You may, but this is not the average cruiser. BTW if you sailed SeaDream for $1200 per person you must have sailed totally off season and bribed them or something. Of course I am only kidding about that, but when I booked my clients last November it was $1900 per person and that was an interline rate. Normally they sell for about $4000 per person, per week. Of course there are always specials. Every line has them. You hit a really great deal. Good for you.NMNita

You are correct in your assessments. We did get a great deal on SD - it was the first sailing of this year and air was a problem for the typical guest, so they had dropped their rates. We usually pay far higher than that- but still feel that the all inclusives are a better deal that the mass market balcony or suite accommodations.

I would imagine that it is a great deal of fun to sell higher end products with your mix - at least more fun to go to the bank! That is what is great about all the choices out there - there really is something for everyone.

Interesting discussion regarding smoking, and its relative cost....

As for Oceania being "much more expensive" I did a quick check to see what the real situation is. I searched the Oceania site and Celebrity site for some kind of comparison.

If I wanted to cruise the Baltic this summer on either line and wanted to fly from the east coast (I chose Philadelphia), desired the least expensive inside cabin, then what would the cost be (list price)?? I wanted to try to come as close as I could to do an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

The Oceania Insignia has had "2-for-1 specials and free air" for quite a while (not sure if this is still available, but they do this for quite a while after bookings open), but assuming it is, the total cost per person in an inside cabin would be $3599, including air for a 14 day in July. Celebrity Constellation would cost $3479 including air for a 14 day, in July. (Taxes, port charges, etc might alter these prices a little) Oceania's also spends 3 days in St Petersburg as opposed to 2 days for the Constellation. Oceania has a much less restrictive "agent discounting" policy as well, so these prices would probably not be reflective of true final price.

For those who would pay 10% more for a non-smoking room, and most public areas, it might be worth looking into.

Just wanted to point out some real facts.......

As for Oceania being "much more expensive" I did a quick check to see what the real situation is. I searched the Oceania site and Celebrity site for some kind of comparison.

If I wanted to cruise the Baltic this summer on either line and wanted to fly from the east coast (I chose Philadelphia), desired the least expensive inside cabin, then what would the cost be (list price)?? I wanted to try to come as close as I could to do an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

The Oceania Insignia has had "2-for-1 specials and free air" for quite a while (not sure if this is still available, but they do this for quite a while after bookings open), but assuming it is, the total cost per person in an inside cabin would be $3599, including air for a 14 day in July. Celebrity Constellation would cost $3479 including air for a 14 day, in July. (Taxes, port charges, etc might alter these prices a little) Oceania's also spends 3 days in St Petersburg as opposed to 2 days for the Constellation. Oceania has a much less restrictive "agent discounting" policy as well, so these prices would probably not be reflective of true final price.

For those who would pay 10% more for a non-smoking room, and most public areas, it might be worth looking into.

Just wanted to point out some real facts.......

We looked into a 10 day "free air, 2-for-1" on Oceania for the Eastern Med. It was a bit out of our time frame, but we were willing to stretch it a bit. By the time we added in transfers (which were not included), air taxes (not included), Turkish visa, and cruise insurance, the $2,099 per person for a medium outside cabin on the Nautica for 11/5/06, Athens to Rome, jumped to $2,939, or 40% more than the listed price. That, combined with the not very good date (5 days later would have been OK), caused us to rule out Oceania.

The cost of visas and insurance would have to be added to any cruisefare.

When I have "bottom lined" the pricing between the two lines (exactly what my cruise will end up costing me out of pocket), the prices are very similar.

Just my experience.....

The cost of visas and insurance would have to be added to any cruisefare.

When I have "bottom lined" the pricing between the two lines (exactly what my cruise will end up costing me out of pocket), the prices are very similar.

Just my experience.....

True enough, although a 40% jump in price is a lot for these items. They charge a lot for transfers, which are usually included. As mentioned in our 3/24 post, our real problem is that 10 days is difficult for us unless the dates are exactly right, and we've been unlucky with Oceania. My vacation window doesn't start until 11/9 and I have to be home before Thanksgiving. Another short window opens just after Thanksgiving. They had nothing that fit within either window, as was the case in 2004 (when my window was one week wider).

Archived