First Timer's Review

abe09

My girlfriend and I browsed these boards for weeks leading up to our cruise. We both found this site more helpful than any other (including Celebrity's) out there--thanks! I'm not posting this to debate with any cruise veterans-- Just thought the site could use a different opinion.

POTENITAL CRUISERS: If you're not sure a cruise is the right vacation for you--it probably isn't. The thought of traveling with 2000 others and always having to watch the clock really wasn't appealing to me. But, my lady wanted to go. I hoped all the other aspects of cruising would win me over. They didn't.

FOOD: We both thought the food everywhere was below average quality. The poolside buffet was unpleasant. The Casual Dining Cafe was decent. The overall selection is ok. We just didn't find much that tasted good. all the meat seemed very dry. We found dinner at San Marco not to be worth the hassle. Only thing worse than a bad meal is dragging the meal out for 90minutes.

DRESS CODE: If you think it's going to cramp your style--it is going to cramp your style. The only thing worse than a bad meal being dragged out for 90minutes, is having to wear a suit to eat it. It really felt like playing dress-up. BUT, as much as Celebrity encourages people to adhere to the code, you could probably get away with just looking "spiffy". For me, having to look spiffy after a day wandering the islands was a drag. I think Celebrity should do away with dress codes or make it optional. Everyone at the dinner table next to me looked wonderful. It didn't make me meal taste any better.

EXCURSIONS: We had bad luck with our choices. The "romantic sunset cruise" was booze cruise with LOUD music. After our first 2 excursions were a bust, we cancelled the others. We definatly did NOT get our moneys worth on those. Get a Frommer's Guide and do your homework.

SODA JUNKIES: I found picking up a few cans at every port to be much more convenient and afforable than the sodacard. $5 a day and you can't get a Coke brought to your room? Thats lame. We cancelled our sodacards on Day2.

Constellation is beautiful and despite my post we didn't have a miserable time. It just didn't meet our expectations. And mainly, cruises aren't for everyone and it's an expensive gamble.

What more can you say...you tried it, you were honest, it wasn't for you...sorry.

The shame is you lost valuable vacation time, and money to learn this...wish you all the best finding a travel experience that works well for you.

Sounds like cruising is not your thing "Not that there's anything wrong with that." Your complaints are valid because they apply to your own issues but remember some of your complaints are about cruising in general and some of your complaints could be the result of not picking the right "fit" for you. Many Celebrity cruisers CHOOSE this line for the dress code and the set dining - there are other lines where you don't have to dress up and can eat where and when you want. But hey life is about experiences and now you can say you did it and find a vacation that better fits your needs and expectations. Some of my best friends don't like cruises and I'm still friends with them! :)

Thanks gang--The best discovery of the trip was the Mariott at St.Kitts. Next time we'll just go there for a week....

Don't get me wrong, none of my gripes "ruined" our trip. The only one I'd level directly at Celebrity is the food quality. We were really let down. We couldn't wait to get home and get a good meal. Dress code, sodacard--we knew the deal in advance. Excursions: Its hit or miss either way. Everything else is about cruising in general. I just wanted to offer the review for any on-the-fence cruisers..

Archived