Might rain in Costa Rica, Panama for 4/10 Legend!

JodiV1234

hi everyone -

So I've been checking the weather and there is a good chance it might be raining while we are in Panama and Costa Rica for the 4/10 Legend cruise. I am booked with Mario and Charlie Soto. Does anyone know if the excursions still happen even if it is raining???

thanks!

Jodi

I work with professional meteorologists and they tell me repeatedly that any forecast beyond about two days out is not worth even thinking about. So if you think you found a forecast somewhere that's hinting at weather two WEEKS out -- don't even give it a second thought. We are cruising to the same region from Galveston, leaving 4/1, and I am still not taking ANY stock in the forecasts, not even the ones for a week from tonight when we fly to Houston -- TR

Yes, that is the rainy season in that part of the world.

Tour operators know this, and would not offer a tour if it couldn't happen.

Plan to bring rain gear for a hot, humid climate, and you will enjoy your cruise.

Beth

Actually the rainy season does not start until late May. However it is always wet on the Carribean coast. Rain is relative though because it never lasts very long and it always stays warm.

It rained on us last wednesday, just light rain and a small showers, but the ziplines still run unless there is electrical storm or something. Now the banana plantation will stink in fact we skipped it because it was so foggy and muddy. It may not be as good an excursion as it would if it were sunny, but it will be a great time- it was for us. Our driver Olmar and guide Juan Carlos were great and thanks to some aggressive driving during rush hour (by our request) he got us back with enough time which was our major concern.

• 2 weeks later...
hi everyone -

So I've been checking the weather and there is a good chance it might be raining while we are in Panama and Costa Rica for the 4/10 Legend cruise. I am booked with Mario and Charlie Soto. Does anyone know if the excursions still happen even if it is raining???

thanks!

Jodi

Jodi,

We just did the March 25th Legend sailing. We had a little bit of rain in Panama, but it wasn't enough to stop the tour with Mario. The only problem we had was with one of the roads on the way to San Lorenzo Fort. Since we were in the rain forest, the roads were not all paved. In one spot where a tree had fallen due to the rain, the road was very muddy. There were workers removing the tree and packing the road down with sand and dirt when we got there. We tried to cross and got stuck. Fortunately the workers were able to pull the bus through that spot and when we returned from the fort, they had packed it in enough that we got across with no problems.

We did get rained out in Costa Rica. We had also booked with Charlie Soto, and he did show up to do the tour, but due to the chaos from the storm, he didn't get there until about an hour or so after we docked. It apparantly had been raining there for about 2 days and roads and houses were flooded. Most if not all of the ships excursions had been cancelled. The only excursion that I heard actually went out was the Limon city tour, but even that one turned around and came back due to bad roads and downed trees. Because of all of the chaos surrounding the cancelling of the cruise line tours, many of the independant tour companie buses and vans could not get onto the dock. We were told by several people that Charlie was outside of the gates to the dock but they didn't have room for him to get in until some of the bigger buses left. By the time he was finally able to get into the dock area, the rest of our group had heard about the other tours being cancelled and that the rain was not going to let up. Since we had planned to do the rainforest, tortuguera canal, banana plantation & beach tour, we didn't think it was good idea to go and cancelled. We did give Charlie some money since he took the time to come out there. He also told us that he would have a van there if the weather let up and we decided we wanted to go somewhere. Unfortunately, the weather did not let up until we were pulling out of the port that afternoon.

The Legend's dock time in Costa Rica was not very long. I believe we docked around 7:30 and had to be back on board by 2:30 pm(ship time). You also have to take into account the time difference between the ship and Costa Rica time.

I hope you have good weather! We would have gone if it was just a little rain. It was the flooding and the thought of getting stuck on bad roads that caused us to cancel, especially with the short dock time.

Goodluck,

Jena

Archived