Good Cigars In The Western Carribean

I will be sailing on the Legend through the Western Carribean next week with ports of call being Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Any suggestions from the afficionados out there as to which is the best for picking up some cigars? Thanks and happy cruising!

You can get good cigars at good prices in Cozumel. I believe the name of the place is the Havana Club. It's right on the main drag in Cozumel shopping area.

My guess is that cigar shopping is not great in either GC (due to the general lack of shopping deals and costs on that island) and CM (due to the overall lack of shopping there). I do recall seeing a tobacco store in Belize but I can't comment on it.

When we were in Cozumel, we found an extensive cigar shop. I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was in the downtown area on the main street. I don't know very much about cigars, but they did have a huge selection and appeared to be very knowledgeable.

Have a great cruise

Thanks for the recommendations. Do they sell Cuban cigars in Cozumel?

Yes, Cozumel is the best place to get a deal on Cubans. If you like bold, I don't have any recomendations, Cohibas are the smoothest. Be careful about a lot of counterfeits.

Don't pay what they ask.... Example: The Cohiba IV is priced at about $18-20 each. (this was about one and half years ago). After I talked to the guy for a while and agreed to by 2 boxes of 5, he came down to $12 each. ;)

Hope this helps!:D

I thought it was only illeagal to bring them back into the States.

No the trading with the enemy act covers any cuban purchase any where in the world for a US national. Personally I have no problem buying one or two and smoking them outside the US, pre 9-11 I would buy a box or two but I have heard of people being fined more than $10,000 for one box. But I would pay cash. Who knows what they check your cc against when purchased outside the US....

No the trading with the enemy act covers any cuban purchase any where in the world for a US national. Personally I have no problem buying one or two and smoking them outside the US, pre 9-11 I would buy a box or two but I have heard of people being fined more than $10,000 for one box. But I would pay cash. Who knows what they check your cc against when purchased outside the US....

Wait a minute, guys. I don't mean to sound belittling, but think about what you are saying here.:o

If you go into the Havana Club and buy cubans and put it on your card.... do you really think it is going to say "Cuban Cigars" on your statement when you get it? :rolleyes:

Wait a minute, guys. I don't mean to sound belittling, but think about what you are saying here.:o

If you go into the Havana Club and buy cubans and put it on your card.... do you really think it is going to say "Cuban Cigars" on your statement when you get it? :rolleyes:

NO but if they report you, they get a reward...remember even paranoids DO have enemies

Great point. The govt struggles to do meaningful things, like screen people at airports and entering the country. I can't imagine they have an effective enforcement process for Cuban cigar buyers...

Two years ago we found good deals in Cozumel. We returned yesterday from the Splendour of the Seas sailing and found the prices in Cozumel to be very high. Checked two shops a couple blocks off the main street downtown. Most of the Cuban cigars were between $22 and $29 each - Cohiba, Punch, Monticristo #2 and others. They were reluctant to deal and would only come down a couple of dollars. The shops on the main street were even higher. Be careful of purchasing in the leather goods stores - when we have checked they have been moldy and looked like fakes.

In 2004, we got great deals in Majuahal (Costa Maya). We spent the day on the beach and the venndors set up there were willing to deal. Bought two Monticristo #2 for $7.00 ($3.50 each). Also bought a box of 5 Cohibas Siglio VI for about $30.00. My husband is sure they were Cubans - they had the right bands, were still sealed in the cellophane and had a holographic type image on the Cuban tax stamp on the bottom of the box. Go to topcubans.com and take a good look at the bands because the manufacturers have made them harder to duplicate to avoid the fakes.

We did not get to Costa Maya last week - the ship was unable to dock - so can't update you on this year's prices.

In 2004, we found one shop near the pier in Grand Cayman and the prices were extremely high.

folks please. US law is limited to US land! you can buy cuban cigars all you want and light them up in front of a CIA agent! no jurisdiction. the law specifically states that cuban cigars cannot be brought into the US by anyone. folks from canada or europe, where it is legal to have and buy cuban cigars, cannot, according to law, transport them through the US.

a good cuban brand not widely heard of is "guantanemero." it is a good smoke at a reasonable price. i think grand cayman is a better place to buy, a place called churchhills. they usually have a few special deals and if you buy a box they deliver them to the ship for you.

We were on a Western cruise in November. We were looking for Monticristo cigars and found a pack of 20 small Monticristos (the size of cigarettes) in Cozumel for $35.00. We bought them thinking that it was a pretty good deal. A few days later when we were in Grand Cayman & we went into a small cigar shop set back from the stree a little bit. I don't remember the name of the shop but it was across the street from where the tenders dock. We found the exact same Monticristos for $25.00. This surprised us since we feel that Cayman is not the cheapest stop on a Western Caribbean cruise.

We are going on the Legend next week too. I just posted on the first page about Cuban cigars purchased in the Western Caribbean. We were in Cozumel and Cayman Islands this past November. We paid $35.00 for a pack of 20 Monticristo cigars (size of cigarettes) in Cozumel and then went into Cayman and found the same thing for $25.00! Always thought Cayman was more expensive than most of the other islands but we were surprised by the $10.00 difference in price.

Maybe we will meet on our upcoming cruise!

DH has always purchase his cigars in the Caymans when that's been on our itinerary. We've even stayed in GC for a week and he goes to the same place each time...it's a gigantic humidor that has leather chairs inside it for you the dear wives to sit while the men shop..LOL

Get your cigars in GC!

We are going on the Legend next week too. I just posted on the first page about Cuban cigars purchased in the Western Caribbean. We were in Cozumel and Cayman Islands this past November. We paid $35.00 for a pack of 20 Monticristo cigars (size of cigarettes) in Cozumel and then went into Cayman and found the same thing for $25.00! Always thought Cayman was more expensive than most of the other islands but we were surprised by the $10.00 difference in price.

Maybe we will meet on our upcoming cruise!

oh yea, the are more expensive in some aspects, but cigars are the deal. :)

folks please. US law is limited to US land! you can buy cuban cigars all you want and light them up in front of a CIA agent! no jurisdiction. the law specifically states that cuban cigars cannot be brought into the US by anyone. folks from canada or europe, where it is legal to have and buy cuban cigars, cannot, according to law, transport them through the US.

a good cuban brand not widely heard of is "guantanemero." it is a good smoke at a reasonable price. i think grand cayman is a better place to buy, a place called churchhills. they usually have a few special deals and if you buy a box they deliver them to the ship for you.

Look this is just not true, The US claims jurisdiction over US nationals no matter where they are. You can do this and 99.44% nothing will happen but the law is that US nationals may not buy Cubans any where in the world period. I don't like it. I think the whole Cuban boycott is stupid counter productive and wrong. Castro has lived with it for over 40 years. If we can trade with Momar Khadify, we should put the Cuban thing behind us, but US law extends beyond the border.

Please read it your self

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.pdf

one of the examples is buying Cubans cigars in Mexico--not within the US.

"For example, unless otherwise authorized, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction

(including U.S. overseas subsidiaries) may not purchase Cuban cigars in Mexico;"

All I said is don't charge them to your credit card.

Look this is just not true, The US claims jurisdiction over US nationals no matter where they are. You can do this and 99.44% nothing will happen but the law is that US nationals may not buy Cubans any where in the world period. I don't like it. I think the whole Cuban boycott is stupid counter productive and wrong. Castro has lived with it for over 40 years. If we can trade with Momar Khadify, we should put the Cuban thing behind us, but US law extends beyond the border.

Please read it your self

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.pdf

one of the examples is buying Cubans cigars in Mexico--not within the US.

"For example, unless otherwise authorized, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction

(including U.S. overseas subsidiaries) may not purchase Cuban cigars in Mexico;"

All I said is don't charge them to your credit card.

smeyer i was not trying or intending to place blame. however, i do believe that depending upon the way you read the regulation, one can, as I do, interpret the purchasing of cuban cigars in mexico to mean i cannot buy or mail order these cigars from mexico to bring back to the USA. think about it only for a moment. if US law extended beyond her borders, why then can't we just go arrest a criminal that fled to mexico or canada.

to go one step further on this, i have been told that US customs knows people bring back cuban cigars, they don't bother anyone unless of course they have a suitcase full of them, or they walk up to a customs agent and say, "look i got cuban cigars."

smeyer i was not trying or intending to place blame. however, i do believe that depending upon the way you read the regulation, one can, as I do, interpret the purchasing of Cuban cigars in Mexico to mean i cannot buy or mail order these cigars from Mexico to bring back to the USA. think about it only for a moment. if US law extended beyond her borders, why then can't we just go arrest a criminal that fled to Mexico or Canada.

to go one step further on this, i have been told that US customs knows people bring back Cuban cigars, they don't bother anyone unless of course they have a suitcase full of them, or they walk up to a customs agent and say, "look i got Cuban cigars."

We can and have arrested people in Mexico and brought them back into the US.(It was for killing a DEA agent in Mexico) So what if it violates Mexico soverinity(and is technically an act of war) and US courts have held that even if its kidnapping once they in the US the court won't let them go. Before 9-11 I agree with you, but about two years ago customs was told "fine for even one". You used to be able to get a license to go to Cuba for educational purposes relatively easily and every one knew it was mostly sightseeing, not any more. All I said was don't make it easy for them ...don't charge it.

We can and have arrested people in Mexico and brought them back into the US.(It was for killing a DEA agent in Mexico) So what if it violates Mexico soverinity(and is technically an act of war) and US courts have held that even if its kidnapping once they in the US the court won't let them go. Before 9-11 I agree with you, but about two years ago customs was told "fine for even one". You used to be able to get a license to go to Cuba for educational purposes relatively easily and every one knew it was mostly sightseeing, not any more. All I said was don't make it easy for them ...don't charge it.

Not quite the way it is. A few years ago there was a Canadian wanted for fraud in Florida, he jumped bail and made it back across the border into Ontario. A couple of bounty hunters came into Ontario, grabbed him and smuggled him back to Florida. The ensuing result was the Canadian was sent back to Ontario, the bounty hunters were extradited to Canada to face kidnapping charges. Canada downgraded the charge to unlawful seizure or something to that effect and I think the bounty hunters got off easy with a suspended sentence and a fine. Once the proper extradition formalities were taken care of I think the Canadian was sent back to Florida to face the music.

For cigar lovers, if the "deal' sounds to good to be true, it probably is...watch out for counterfeits.

For U.S. citizens, if buying a Cuban cigar might get you in trouble at home, how about all the Americans who go to Cuba for vacations through Canadian tour packages out of Canadian airports...they must be taking quite a risk. BTW, U.S. tourists are welcomed with open arms in Cuba :)

Not quite the way it is. A few years ago there was a Canadian wanted for fraud in Florida, he jumped bail and made it back across the border into Ontario. A couple of bounty hunters came into Ontario, grabbed him and smuggled him back to Florida. The ensuing result was the Canadian was sent back to Ontario, the bounty hunters were extradited to Canada to face kidnapping charges. Canada downgraded the charge to unlawful seizure or something to that effect and I think the bounty hunters got off easy with a suspended sentence and a fine. Once the proper extradition formalities were taken care of I think the Canadian was sent back to Florida to face the music.

For cigar lovers, if the "deal' sounds to good to be true, it probably is...watch out for counterfeits.

For U.S. citizens, if buying a Cuban cigar might get you in trouble at home, how about all the Americans who go to Cuba for vacations through Canadian tour packages out of Canadian airports...they must be taking quite a risk. BTW, U.S. tourists are welcomed with open arms in Cuba :)

the people who did it in Mexico were US government agents. They are still wanted in Mexico but I don't think they plan to go back. Yes those going to Cuba through Canada are taking a fairly higher risk than those buying Cuban Cigars....and I would tell them not to charge it either.

So sorry for being "that guy" and bumping up a thread that many could care less about, but...oh well :) Thanks for all of the advice so far. Does anyone know of a specific shop that they would recommend. Thanks again.

in my previous post i mentioned this store. churchills, in the anchorage center, grand cayman. not sure if i can truely recommend a store in coz as i think most of the cubans there are counterfeit.

In Grand Cayman about two blocks to the left of the tender docks is a place called Casa de Habana. It was set back from the street and I payed cash for some good cigars there, it looked like a high end shop. I would not buy from the street vendors as you can not be sure of quality/fakes. I actualy did not buy Cohiba as that is what everyone gets and therefore more likely to be conterfited. Again, this looked like a reputable shop, but you never know. Look around at the other cigars from Cuba, splurge on a few singles for ~10 bucks a piece and enjoy them as you explore GC or back on the boat! I sure hope the US government is spending more time looking for Osama than an aveage joe smoking a cigar on vacation!!

Archived