Shore Excursion in Costa Maya

Cruzwthme

I would like to know if anyone has taken the Carnival Shore excursion in Costa Maya called the "Jungle Beach Break" at the Uvero Beach? If so, could you tell me how long it takes to get to this actual beach from the tender? Is it a long drive on a bus to this beach? I am looking for an excursion that doesn't include a long bus ride from tender to my final destination.

Thanks to those of you who help!

Tootsie :)

I really enjoyed the Jungle Beach Break on my Western Caribbean cruise in April 2005. The beach was really relaxing and there were plenty of lounge chairs available. I am more of a sunbather-so the chair, caribbean music, and the open bar made it a perfect day for me! My husband likes to enjoy the ocean and he was not thrilled with the water at this beach. There is a lot of seaweed and it seemed like there were tiny jellyfish all over. The kayaks seemed to never be open, but there were plenty of pattleboats.

It was probably about a half hour to fourty-five minute ride to the beach, but from what I heard, they all took awhile. The road is very narrow and sometimes the buses seemed so close together when the passed. There really is nothing else but trees around you so no views along the way. To me, the open bar helped make it worth the money and the ride. I was feeling pretty good after the day was done so the ride back didn't bother me. ;0)

Make sure that you save so time to check out the port shopping area after the excursion! It has a pool in the center with a swim up bar. This was my favorite port of call on my cruise last year.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it, because Carnival would not have told me the things you just did. Swimming would be very important to me as I have an 11 and 9 year old and that's all they want to do. I think I'll move on and look at the other excursions that are offered. Once again, thanks a bunch - - I'm sure you save my kids from a big disappointment!

Tootsie

I would like to know if anyone has taken the Carnival Shore excursion in Costa Maya called the "Jungle Beach Break" at the Uvero Beach? If so, could you tell me how long it takes to get to this actual beach from the tender? Is it a long drive on a bus to this beach? I am looking for an excursion that doesn't include a long bus ride from tender to my final destination.

Thanks to those of you who help!

Tootsie :)

We did the Jungle Beach Break two weeks ago and I would not recommend it. It was $47 per person (ages 4 and up). Our family of 13 went and while the beach itself is beautiful (palm trees, lots of shade and sun) the water was so-so. The water was shallow in spots and also had a lot of grass.

You do not have to tender in Costa Maya, just walk down a long pier (or catch the trolley if you're lucky) and then take the 45 minute bus ride to the beach. The runs each way once every hour (although there seemed to be quite a few buses).

The tour is also supposed to include alcohol, but around 2:00 on our day, they ran out of rum and vodka. We're not big drinkers, but we still really felt that the excursion wasn't worth the money.

You should look at some of the reviews of the Liberty sailing on 3/12. Lots of people went to the beach close to the town ($3 taxi or bus ride) and had much better experiences than we had.

Hello,

We were just on the Liberty on March 12 and we took a cab to the fishing villiage called Mahuhual ($3.00 there, $2.00 back per person). It was our favourite port. We went to the beach, the sand road is lined with the beach on the left and vendors on the right. The people were friendly and yes they will want to sell you their wares but are fine when you say no thank you. We didn't feel hasseled at all. Other people on our ship went on the jungle beach break and didn't feel it was worth the money and wished they had went to town instead. Some good restaurant/bars to hit, the crew members usually go to Pez Quadro (last one on the left opposite the school- we talked to our waiter there who recommended it) and the Cat's Meow near the first on the right but has beach area across the road- this is owned by a very nice Canadian woman who will explain the purification system and hygiene requirements of her staff. She is great to talk to you and will tell you all about this awesome place. I'm so jealous- can't wait to go back there, you'll have a great time.

imacanadian,

I have a few questions about what you've said......When you got off the ship, are there taxi's waiting to take people where they want to go? Was this an excursion you booked through Carnival, or did you go it on your own?

How long was the taxi ride? What was the beach like? I've seen a few posts that talk about a lot of seaweed and grass. Will the kids be able to swim happily there at the beach you went to?

Thanks for all of your help! These replies have been invaluable to me!

Tootsie

imacanadian,

I have a few questions about what you've said......When you got off the ship, are there taxi's waiting to take people where they want to go? Was this an excursion you booked through Carnival, or did you go it on your own?

How long was the taxi ride? What was the beach like? I've seen a few posts that talk about a lot of seaweed and grass. Will the kids be able to swim happily there at the beach you went to?

Thanks for all of your help! These replies have been invaluable to me!

We we're there on 3/14, We took a bus $3.00. You'll see signs, just walk through the first group on tours guides. Or ask anyone. It's not an excursion, you're on your own. We stopped at the second to the end. Nice little beach area. Chairs we're free if you bought something. We drank Dos Equis, $2.00 a bottle. Great beach for kids. Sandy bottom, no waves, shallow, perfect.

I was in Costa Maya on 3/15 on Glory and while I did a tour, it is easy enough to spend the day in Mahahaul and enjoy the beach. You can snorkel without having to pre-book, parasail or just enjoy the beach and shopping. It's beautiful there.

Archived