How do you handle the long flights?

tj_shopper

52 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Yes, you will need more than 110k miles. If you are interested in points, look into 10x travel. They have a course that is good and explains everything.  Typically, I have the points already ready and then book as soon as tickets become available 355 days (or whatever it is for the specific airline) out. 

I have flown my family of four back and forth to Europe for the past three years all of us on the same flight every time...all with points.  Granted, that isn't Asia but I am flying my son and I on points around the world this summer as I mentioned above.  

United typically has 4 or more available and so does BA.  Singapore Airlines usually has 2 or 3 per flight.  Qatar usually 2-4...sometimes they will have 2 in business and 2 in first.  Albeit, with either BA or Qatar, it will usually go through Qatar or London so that may not make sense for you depending on where you live.  (Although, you could also do a day or two layover and make an additional trip out of it, too.)  Not sure about other airlines.  ANA has good deals but I personally have had a harder time finding availability. Don't use amex or chase portal. Look on the individual airline websites.  Best availability is either going to be a full 355 days out or to wait within a month of the flight.

I will look into 10x travel.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I am ready to open another credit card for the sign up bonus and heard that the Chase Ink Business Preferred will be offering 120K points online next week or it's currently being offered at the branch now.  Once I get that one, I think I'm almost half way there.   I'm in Chicago and hoping to find 3 (or 2 at the very least) business class tickets from Chicago to Taiwan and then from Singapore to Chicago.  We are on a 12 days cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore.  We wanted to stop in Taiwan first for a couple of days before heading to Hong Kong for our cruise.  I think the best cards to get the sign up offers would be the Chase ones as Chase has many transfer partners that I can transfer the points to.  It's only if I find business class seats on Cathay Pacific which is not a transfer partner with Chase.  I saw good flights with Eva Airlines too but again, not a transfer partner with Chase.  I feel like I have to be very strategic in what to do lol.

Our flights from New Zealand if going to Europe consist of a 17hr flight to Dubai, a layover (how many hours depends on where we are going to) and then another 8+ hours to our destination.  All together we can be travelling for up to 36hrs from door to door!

Traveling to family in Calgary is a 13hr flight to Vancour and then connecting flight to Calgary.

If we are to travel we just have to grin and bear it.  Economy is only what we can afford.               

• Like 2