Cruising and small children..should I be worried??

tracie

I know most of you are going to laugh, but I am so worried about taking our 4 year old on our first cruise. I am so nervous that she will some how fall overboard. Of course I will watch her like a hawk, but does this ever happen? My hubby wants a balcony, and I am making him book one that has the boats obstructing the view just in case she falls over the balcony. I guess that I am thinking that she will land in the life boat and not int he ocean. Do they watch them real close in Camp Carnival? As I being overly paranoid, or what?? Thanks for letting me share my stress.

Tracie

10/10/04 Our First Cruise

Tracie,

First of all, you ask if you're being overly paranoid, and in my opinion, the answer is no. After all, this is your daughter we're talking about, so you're perfectly entitled to be concerned.

That being said, the ships are unbelievably safe. I'm not aware of any accidents on Carnival involving infants falling overboard (only drunk adults, frankly). As for balcony cabins, because of the way lifeboats are covered, if someone did fall, they'd likely bounce off a lifeboat and still make their way down. Okay, so that image probably isn't helping here, but I really would suggest that you go ahead and book a regular balcony cabin and enjoy it. You'll keep an eye on your daughter just as you would around the house. You'll also rest comfortably knowing that the Camp Carnival staff are top-notch, particularly when it comes to safety.

Bottom line -- it's perfectly reasonable to worry, but trust that it will be quite safe and you can enjoy your vacation to the fullest extent possible. icon_smile.gif

<center><font size="-1"><hr>Also known as Dave, who is Openly Addicted to Cruising!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 until I hop on my last-minute cruise choice -- the Carnival Spirit to Alaska!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;9;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until I set sail on the Carnival Glory with O.A.T.C.!

</font><font face="arial narrow, verdana, arial, helvetica" size="-2">

Sitmar Fairwind (7/87–Caribbean) ⊕ Sitmar Fairwind (12/88–Panama Canal)

Carnival Sensation (8/00–Caribbean) ⊕ Grand Princess (5/01–Caribbean)

Crystal Harmony (8/02–Alaska) ⊕ Carnival Conquest (9/03–Caribbean)

Carnival Spirit (6/04–Alaska) ⊕ Carnival Glory (9/04–Caribbean)

If's the ship is a-rockin'... Check the stabilizers. (And get your mind out of the gutter!)

</font></center>

We have cruised four times with our little ones, starting when Benjamin was 9 months old. We have always had a balcony cabin. The Carnival cruise ships are exceptionally well designed to protect small children, having panels around the open public areas and balconies rather than just railing (which could be more easily climbed or slipped through). With a reasonable amount of supervision, your 4 year old will be perfectly safe. Have a great cruise!

10th Anniversary Cruise -- Paradise, March 2004

Two Little Sailors: Victoria's First and Benjamin's Fourth cruise -- Carnival Victory, October 2003

Benjamin Sails to Bermuda-- Carnival Triumph, May 2002

Benjamin's Birthday Cruise -- Carnival Destiny, Jan. 2002

Benjamin's First Cruise -- Carnival Victory 2000

Paradise 3/04 - Exotic W. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/03 - Bahamas

Carnival Triumph 5/02 - Bermuda

Carnival Destiny 1/02 - S. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/00 - Nassau

Inspiration 7/99 - S. Caribbean

Tropicale 1/99 - W. Caribbean

Carnival Destiny 7/97 - W. Caribbean

Fantasy 4/96 - Bahamas

Fantasy 7/94 - Bahamas

traci,

Your concerns are so normal that it made me smile.

I hate to tell you this, but although your kids are small, and this seems like a worry caused by their age....forget it. I am cruising with a 19 and a 16 year old and there are nights when I go to bed, I have to shake off visions of them going overboard. If I wasn't crusising, I'd be shaking off visions of them getting into car accidents or some other horrendous thing!!! Being a parent is tough. The worry is constant, you get no peace from it, and most of the time, the fears are irrational (a 19 year old falling overboard???? I need a shrink!)

I'm sure your baby will be fine. Obviously you need to keep a good watch on her, as 4 year old children are a handful, and it will be a lot of work for you if she is an active 4 year old...but try to keep the worry down to a minimum by immediately shifting your thoughts to something else when the visions of her being hurt creep into your head....try to master this exercise, you'll be using it forever.

ahhhh, the joys of motherhood... icon_smile.gif

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

Camp Carnival is wonderful for kids. Safety is their #1 concern. Who ever signs the child in has to be the one who signs the child out. My 5 year old loved it. The 2-5 age group pretty much stays in the Camp Carnival room. You don't have to worry about your little one wondering off. They will also provide you with a phone in case they have to contact you or if you just want to check on your child. On embarkation day they will have a Camp Carnival get together to tell you about the program and will give you a list of activities for the week.

I seem to recall a post on the RCCL board about a woman who had to "run and grab" a little one as he was climbing the ships railing...but as Halos said, as a parent you will always worry. With that said leave the little tykes with family and enjoy the cruise.

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Liv,

you must not be a parent, b/c if you were you would know that for some of us, leaving the little tyke at home and enjoying the cruise (as you put it) doesn't go together. Many of us enjoy taking our children on vacation and that helps add to our good time.

Tracie,

I totally understand where you're coming from. My boys are 12, 15 and 16 and I also had the horrible "falling overboard" thoughts. They like to fool around, wrestle, a lot of horseplay...so you can imagine my fears of the balcony! I just told them they're not allowed out there unless there's an adult in the cabin at the time. (they think I'm nuts, but I don't care!) Good Luck!

Jen

My son went on his first cruise when he was 3. He is a monkey, and I was worried. For a couple of weeks before we even left for the cruise, I began to talk to him about "ship rules", 1. No running 2. No climbing. I reapeated this at every opportunity and made him repeat it. Call me psycho. Yes, I even told him what could happen if he climbed on the railings.

It seemed to work. Of course, he never went on the balcony alone, and we supervised him carefully. As other have mentioned, the railings are very safe. I made sure that no chair ever got too close to the railing though.

He has been on two cruise since then and will take another in November. We have't had any problems.

We're cruising in Dec with our 4 year old. Book the balcony cabin because there are going to be times when your little one is going to need a nap...and what a perfect place to enjoy her naptime, then the balcony as you read, read with your eyes closed, or just enjoy the water going by! We had her on her first cruise when she was 18 months old and had a balcony.

And I agree with the other posters, we're mom's so we are ALWAYS concerned about our little ones...no matter how big or old they get! icon_smile.gif

Linda

That worry is normal, and while my dh and I prefer balcony cabins, there's no way I'm booking one with my kids (12, 10, 6). See, you're not psycho! We have 2 adjoining cabins, though, and the 3 kids have their own cabin. No balcony means I can sleep at night not constantly worried my kids are going to fall off a balcony in the middle of the night.

Green-eyed lady, no offense, but just because Liv's view differs from yours, doesn't mean she isn't a parent. My dh and I have always cruised alone, leaving the kids with grandparents. We take other trips with them, but keeping the romance alive means time without them, too. I find there are many things I can enjoy much better (scuba, romance) while kids are with grandma. This upcoming cruise is the 1st time we're taking kids. One reason we've waited is me not wanting to worry about my little monkey getting away from me on deck. See, Tracie, you're ahead of me on this. You're willing to take a 4 yr. old, and I wasn't.

Gael

Norway 1994

Norway 7/00

Grand Princess 7/01

NCL Sun 7/02

Zuiderdam 9/03

Elation 11/04

[This message was edited by Travelitis on 06-15-04 at 12:18 PM.]

Tracie,

Don't worry. And don't get an obstructed view balcony.

We just took our 3-yr and 6-yr daugthers on the Ecstasy. Carnival makes everything VERY safe. The balcony wall is a panel (not climbable) with a railing above. The 3-yr-old's eyes were right at the gap and she loved standing there looking out at the water. Most of the deck railings now have a tightly woven net covering so little feet can't climb up the rungs. The Camp Carnival outside play area is completely enclosed with netting (deck to deck). The counselors are very careful with the kids. We got a pager to carry around so they could reach us (they never had to) and they check IDs at sign-in and out. They even asked for my ID twice when I checked both kids in at the same time.

Trust me, not only will your kid love Camp Carnival, but they will be safest there.

Go to the orientation and talk to the people. I was amazed how even on a 4-day cruise, they learned all the kids names and their likes and dislikes (3-yr HATES Funship Freddy, so they kept me informed of the times she and I should "have a pizza date" and avoid Camp).

Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by green eyed lady:

Liv,

you must not be a parent, b/c if you were you would know that for some of us, leaving the little tyke at home and enjoying the cruise (as you put it) doesn't go together. Many of us enjoy taking our children on vacation and that helps add to our good time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that "assumption" is incorrect. I have two, 14 and 16.

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

I agree with the above posters....

Go over the rules OVER AND OVER again!

Ours were...

No running in the hallways

No loud voices inside

No balcony without a parent

Dinner manners....

No playing in the elevators. They could "do the buttons" when we were the only ones in the elevator etc....

Now look at my pics.. and the faces of my little one.. he was 4 last yr and 5 this yr..... bringing him was the highlight of the week.. he (actually both kids) was thrilled and joyful all week.... what a time!

Cathy

dolphin.gif

Ecstacy October 1992

Destiny October 1999

TRIUMPH May2003

Triumph May 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

http://community.webshots.com/user/catrin0917

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by livtojump:

I seem to recall a post on the RCCL board about a woman who had to "run and grab" a little one as he was climbing the ships railing...but as Halos said, as a parent you will always worry. With that said leave the little tykes with family and enjoy the cruise.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can always count on Livtojump replying to any post regarding children on cruises with his standard kid bashing reply.

We took our almost 4 yo (she turned 4 on our debarkation day) for her first cruise this past May. She loved it and we loved having her with us. I have the best pictures of my dd and dh dancing on the stage at the captain's cocktail party on formal night! Be careful, be watchful, but most of all have a great time and enjoy making some wonderful memories with your little one.

Shirley

cruising-courtesy-kindness

Surprise! 4 Night to Canada on the Victory . . . July 22, 2004

3-Night Anniversary Cruise on Majesty of the Seas . . . January 7, 2005

Family spring break cruise on the Dawn . . . April 17, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01, 4/03, 5/04

RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

As others have said, you are just being a mom. It's part of the job description to worry about them, no matter how old they are.

I do have to admit, though, that we did not book a balcony guarantee because of our DD, little Miss Accident Prone, who will be 4 when we cruise. She's already tried to do herself in 3 times (not counting the car accident I was in 3 days before she was born) so we did decide for the OV guarantee instead of the balcony. And if we end up in with a balcony - well, I'll just bring a bike chain and padlock for the doors. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Namaste,

Heather

Sailing on the Triumph ~ 9/18/04 - Roll Call

pleasedontstealmethanks.gif

If the balcony is a concern, perhaps you should consider one of the Carnival ships that has the family cabins, with the floor-to-ceiling glass window instead of the balcony.

I'm not a parent, so this isn't a concern for me, but I'll share one observation about Camp Carnival from this past December on the Ecstasy:

Part of the Lido grill seating area was blocked off by chairs and marked with signs as reserved for Camp Carnival diners. The kids were well within the boundaries of their area, and supervised by two (perhaps three) staff members.

Anyway, a few passengers figured it would be easier to go through the blocked-off area than around it. BIG MISTAKE. Those staffers pounced like mama lions defending their cubs and informed the interlopers that they WOULD take the long walk around, thankyouverymuch. From that point on, I figured any child in Camp Carnival was in good hands.

Carnival Conquest 9/12/2004

Ecstasy 12/2003

tracie,

We just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Elation with our 2 1/2 year old DS. We had an OV, not a balcony. The ships are very very safe, I have to agree with all the above posters on that. Our little one had a blast, and is still asking to play with the children whom he met at Camp Carnival! Speaking of the camp, it is the best that you can expect. The counselors are so very nice in taking care of all the children. I have seen a lot of children not wanting to go back when their parents are there to pick them up. We even left our DS at the 10 PM - 3 AM babysitting and how wonderful it was. When you register, they will give you a beeper to carry for the entire cruise, for them to contact you in need. We wish their were a pre-school/day care center as nice as Camp Carnival in our locale.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. So, go ahead and book that balcony. Obstructed view? Are you nuts??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You can always count on Livtojump replying to any post regarding children on cruises with his standard kid bashing reply.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think what you will. I do not "bash" (your words) kids. I just happen to be one of the people that don't think kids should be on ships. "THAT" is my opinion AND I'm entitled to it. Nuff said.

At least my post contributed to the subject matter - I'm not seeing where yours has. icon_rolleyes.gif

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Travelitis:

Green-eyed lady, no offense, but just because Liv's view differs from yours, doesn't mean she isn't a parent.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't believe I skimmed over this. Should read "doesn't mean HE isn't a parent".

Yes, I am a parent - two teenage girls as a matter of fact. Have I taken them on a cruise? No and I won't until they are older - when they can appreciate "ALL" that cruising has to offer. Sorry......wait, NO I'm not...Cruising is IMO an ADULT vacation.

Travelitis - not bashing here, but one should never assume.

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by livtojump:

Yes, I am a parent - two teenage girls as a matter of fact. Have I taken them on a cruise? No and I won't until they are older - when they can appreciate "ALL" that cruising has to offer. Sorry......wait, NO I'm not...Cruising is IMO an ADULT vacation.

Travelitis - not bashing here, but one should never assume.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LIV,

Just curious here...not bashing at all because I too am of the belief that cruises aren't for kids...small kids anyway (JMHO). I took my girls on their first cruise at the exact age that your girls are now...so my question is, in your opinion, what is the age that you would take them (just trying to see where you are coming from) to enjoy ALL that cruising has to offer...18, 21??

This is in no way the beginnings of a debate for all you other posters. I understand that some people love to take their kids cruising at a young age.....I am just one who didn't...don't get annoyed.

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by halos:

LIV,

Just curious here...not bashing at all because I too am of the belief that cruises aren't for kids...small kids anyway (JMHO). I took my girls on their first cruise at the exact age that your girls are now...so my question is, in your opinion, what is the age that you would take them (just trying to see where you are coming from) to enjoy ALL that cruising has to offer...18, 21??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Halos, I agree - lets avoid a debate.

I would probably take them when they were 18. Right now they are "boy crazy" and they both have the boys following them. Have they been raised to know right from wrong? YES they most certainly have. HOWEVER....I was a 14 year old boy and we all know about 14 year old boys and we also know that hormones can and often do control a "situation". That's the "Father" in me.

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

I had the same fears with my 9 year old, we just got off the Glory. He is not particularly adventurous, my fears were more that he would somehow end up walking on the railing after being dared to do so by older kids who were letting him hang out with them (how's that for a well thought out neurosis??). So I explained that scenario to him, and explained what happens when you fall overboard, and basically scared him to death! We had a balcony cabin, and once I saw how the railing came up to his neck, I wasn't worried.

Catrin, we discussed those same rules before our cruise. I had one other one: no going into anybody else's cabin, or bringing a friend to our cabin, without me being there. You never know, even a 9 year old can be a homicidal maniac, and I didn't want my son ending up alone with one...

Glory 6/5/04

NCL Sky May 2000 (Alaska)

LIV!!!!

I feel for your wife...you sound exactly like my husband!!! LOL!!!

You are probably right. My 16 year old is looking forward to the possibility of (quote) finding some 'hot' guys!!!

The funny thing is, she's so shy that if she saw one, she wouldn't know what to do or say anyway....now the 18-going on-19 year old....well, that's a different story...no shyness there unfortunately...

I believe in Miracles

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

Archived