Land transport NYC and Southhampton?

robjel

We are sailing on QM2 RT New York on 4/15 (really two back-to-back transatlantic crossings). I live in CT and am trying to find:

1. best and cheapest way to get to and from Brooklyn cruise terminal

2. we have 2 days in between cruises so need to know how to get to and from London (from Southhampton pier)

3. also, any ideas for where to stay and what to see in London on a tight schedule (and pocketbook)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to book with National Express coach service to get me from London to Southampton (I'm on your wb crossing) for 1GBP! Can't beat that :D Check out their funfares--you might still be able to get one.

Other people have mentioned that you can get a train--megatrain I think it is for 1GBP also. However, when I tried to book that one I found that it doesn't run on weekends.

Good luck!

Robjel:

I did not see this post when I answered the same question on another forum. In the future it is probably not a good idea to post the same question in multiple message threads.

After reading the other response, this is probably the best place if you have more questions if it regards Cunard and QM2.

We are sailing on QM2 RT New York on 4/15 (really two back-to-back transatlantic crossings). I live in CT and am trying to find:

1. best and cheapest way to get to and from Brooklyn cruise terminal

Drive I understand the parking will be $18.00 a day. Otherwise see if Cunard has a bus from your area in CT(call your TA). You will be the first to use the Brooklyn Terminal! I was there today looking at it. Its not done yet but they are working today and everyday. Otherwise you need to see what a limo from your area will be. You can always take a train to either Grand Central or Penn station and then a cab from there. The Red Hook terminal is trying to get a car service to sign up to pick up people. Not sure what the cab situation will be upon your return(no one knows yet-it never has happened)...good luck...

Hi.

Get a cab from the ship to Southampton Station (about 10 minutes ride) and then a high speed train to London Waterloo Station (very central, although on the south side of the Thames, it's just across the river from Westminster and the West End). On your return, it's very easy to get cabs to Waterloo and from Southampton to the Ship.

Hope this helps,

Pepper.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we are doing back-to-back crossings we've been able to buy RT New Haven, CT tickets on Metro-North railroad for a total of $44.18 (1 adult, 1 senior, off-peak). The train goes to Grand Central then taxi to Brooklyn cruise terminal which, I've been advized, will cost approx. $50-60 for roughly 8 miles!!! Wishg we could share a cab with others but luggage would make this impossible.

Since we still don't know where the ship will be 4/21-23 we haven't been able to determine where we should be on those days. We have been told we will have the same cabin on return leg and can keep our luggage aboard if we wish.

We've also been told to expect a minimum of 2, and more likely, 3 formal nights during each crossing.

If anyone has more up-to-date info on these last twon issues please respond asap so we can make the appropriate plans.

We hope to join others from this roll call in the Chart Room at 3pm on the 2nd day (Easter Sunday). Have I got that right?

Thanks again - your advice is very much appreciated.

3. also, any ideas for where to stay and what to see in London on a tight schedule (and pocketbook)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

A suggestion for a medium priced hotel in London is the Mostyn just off Oxford St (check it out at www.tripadvisor.com). It is 2 minutes walk from Marble Arch tube, 2 minutes from Oxford St, and if you book a room at the back reasonably quiet for London. Also, the room I've stayed in was a fairly good size (although all London hotels tend to have small rooms), with a decent bathroom.

If you don't fancy this one, I travel all over the country and have always found the reviews on tripadvisor to be pretty reliable.

Regards, Mary

The train goes to Grand Central then taxi to Brooklyn cruise terminal which, I've been advized, will cost approx. $50-60 for roughly 8 miles!!! Wishg we could share a cab with others but luggage would make this impossible.

The Cab from Grand central should be under $30.00. The way to go is take the east side highway to the Brooklyn Bridge. Over the Brooklyn Bridge go take the first exit and take the BQE towards the Verrazano Narrows Bridge(I think its BQE west- but I am not sure) its under the BQE and then left) Take the first exit Atlantic Avenue left at the end of the exit, and follow the signs. As you say its less than 8 miles and at 2.40 a mile and 2.50 for the first drop- there are no tolls this way. With a nice tip you should be about $30.00. A car service will cost more and there are always cabs waiting. They shouldn't give you a hard time about going to Brooklyn! I'll get the directions from Mapquest and post a link for you.

Archived