Eastport, Maine

Our cruise in August has been rerouted from Rockland to Eastport, ME--a tiny town on a small island.  It will be a tender port & it appears the tenders will not be coming into the main ferry dock by the small downtown but across the island with nothing walkable.  Has anyone ever visited Eastport by ship?  What, if any, type of excursion were there?  Anything to do / see?  

• 1 month later...

We haven't been to Eastport either, but sounds like we may be on the same cruise.  I did find a boat tour with Eastport Windjammers that I "informally" signed up for.  They just took our name and number.  No deposit, etc.  Assuming you're sailing with Princess, I find it odd that they haven't published ship excursions yet.  I'm just hopeful that they don't cancel the port . . .

We have a stop in Eastport on our Volendam cruise this October which replaced the port of St. John, New Brunswick, unfortunately.  I've done a lot of research on this port and have come up with 2 overpriced restaurants and a very tiny downtown with dilapidated houses.   I watched a Youtube video recently of a guy walking around the town and commenting on the places that he was seeing, and the most memorable line from him was, "I can see why Stephen King chooses small Maine towns like this for his horror stories." 

I really want to find something nice to do.  Holland America is offering a walking tour (which you really could do on your own) that will show you the port area and the power plant down the street.  No thanks!  There is an overpriced whale watching excursion, and another overpriced outing to Harry Truman's old summer home in nearby Campobello Island which I would love to do.  But for $200 per person I'm going to have to pass.

As it stands, I think we will be staying on the ship that day.  

On 6/24/2024 at 10:14 AM, The Postman said:

We haven't been to Eastport either, but sounds like we may be on the same cruise.  I did find a boat tour with Eastport Windjammers that I "informally" signed up for.  They just took our name and number.  No deposit, etc.  Assuming you're sailing with Princess, I find it odd that they haven't published ship excursions yet.  I'm just hopeful that they don't cancel the port . . .

I tried contacting Eastport Windjammers a few months ago and they wouldn't accept a reservation from me.  Holland America is selling the $60 whale watching cruise for $199.99!  You should feel very lucky that your cruise ship hasn't secured this tour for their passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t been to Eastport yet, but I have heard that the seafood chowder at the Happy Crab is supposed to be out of this world.  If I were to arrive in Eastport via ship I would probably hire a water taxi to take us on a tour of the area and then to Campobello, which was the summer home of Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt and is now an International Park - jointly operated by Canada and the US.  It looks gorgeous and if it was good enough for the Roosevelts who am I to turn up my nose at it.  BTW, Stephen King writes about small Maine towns because he’s lived here all of his life, knows and loves it well.  Lots of the rich and famous flock to Maine for the gorgeous natural setting, quaint small towns, fabulous climate and unbelievable seafood.  But Maine is not for everyone, for that I thank God.  

18 hours ago, SuzCruise said:

I haven’t been to Eastport yet, but I have heard that the seafood chowder at the Happy Crab is supposed to be out of this world.  If I were to arrive in Eastport via ship I would probably hire a water taxi to take us on a tour of the area and then to Campobello, which was the summer home of Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt and is now an International Park - jointly operated by Canada and the US.  It looks gorgeous and if it was good enough for the Roosevelts who am I to turn up my nose at it.  BTW, Stephen King writes about small Maine towns because he’s lived here all of his life, knows and loves it well.  Lots of the rich and famous flock to Maine for the gorgeous natural setting, quaint small towns, fabulous climate and unbelievable seafood.  But Maine is not for everyone, for that I thank God.  

Thanks so much.  We have decided to take an excursion that is part water tour & a tour of FDR's home at Campobello.  We're really looking forward to it.  Great scenery & history--perfect combination!

• Like 1